Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson Targeted as Professional Fight, Not Exhibition

I dont disagree. But this will also put asses in seats. I’m definitely gonna watch as will millions and millions of others. I hope Tyson comes out looking like a fit old man and is steady in his feet. If he has his legs under him, he is going to be a problem for Jake. If he moves like a 58yr old that’s been on the couch, it’s going to be a sad, dangerous night for him.

But I agree- this trend won’t end well. I don’t think / I hope Mike isn’t the one to bring that to fruition. But some old legend is going to get badly hurt one of these days with all these older fighters trying to get paid for ‘fun’ fights.

1 Like

Mike is going to explode his liver with that haymaker low left.

2 Likes

this is from 20 years ago!
Jake Paul is a cunt of the lowest order.

4 Likes

That’s exactly what’s going to happen when Paul gets a hold of Tyson.

Even with Paul rumoured to be up at 230lbs, that’s still a long way from mcbrides 270

2 Likes

Good point. I didn’t recall the size difference.

Tyson 5’10" 233# / McBride 6’6’ 271#

2 Likes

Some fun facts on Tyson:

Tyson made $5mil vs McBride $150k

Jake Paul is favored at -175 / Last time Tyson was an underdog was against Lennox Lewis (not sure about his early fights)

Basic odds for Tyson:

Result Opponent Odds
Loss Evander Holyfield -200
Loss Evander Holyfield -1800
Win Bruce Seldon -2200
Win Frank Bruno -400

My son and his friends usually only talk about wrestling, mma and jujitsu, but the Tyson vs Paul fight has them talking about boxing and watching old clips.

So, there are some positives on bringing some younger fans to the sport.

1 Like

I used to spare with a cruiserweight champion who had brutal liver shots. I would keep my elbows in and just take the head shots to avoid taking another liver shot. Hard to describe the delayed effects. When I watched these three fights live, I actually could feel the pain of the shots. LOL.

Hopkins vs De La Hoya
Roy Jones vs Virgil Hill (stand corrected on this one - was actually body shot)
Holyfield vs Toney (at 10:16 mark)

Bernard Hopkins KOs Oscar De La Hoya with body shot (youtube.com)

The Fight Game: Roy Jones vs. Virgil Hill Flashback (youtube.com)

holyfield vs toney - Google Search

1 Like

This is the FIRST legit argument for me, as to why Paul wins. The “Tyson is 58 yo” is bullshit. Look at the man go. He can peak for the bout, he doesn’t have to train like a 20 yo.

But in this last bout 3 things stood out:

1. that dude is HEAVY, Paul is not
  2. that dude can take a punch! - Tyson hit him clean with many good shots. Does Paul have a great chin? IDK. Being lighter hurts him
  3. that dude had zero offense ha ha. Tyson gassed out. While we can’t expect his cardio to be better even if he trains hard (his age matters here), 2 min rounds are much better for him than 3. Paul will have much better offense though. That dude won by Homer Simpson strategy!

In his last 12 fights, the first of which was in 1996, Mike Tyson went 5-5 with 2 no contests. He lost to Evander twice, but Tyson was a heavy favorite going in. He lost to Lennox, no shame in that. He was clearly dominant in his 2 no contest fights against Golota and Norris, but his wins were against Botha, Julius Frances, Lou Savarese, Brian Nielsen and Clifford Etienne. He did not look good at a lot of times in those fights. Remember we’re talking about fights from well over 20 years ago. He was losing to Frans Botha before he came back. He was knocked or quit in in 5 of those fights. I think just about everyone wants Tyson to win, but he’s not a smart bet imo. He’s old, like ancient in terms of athletics. He’s incredibly inactive and he hasn’t exactly treated his body like a temple since he retired. He has bad arthritis according to him, he smokes tons of weed, and has gone through some crazy weight gains.

1 Like

Yeah. But while Tyson is of course nowhere near his prime, to say the least, Jake Paul is not on the level of any of Tyson’s opponents either. He’s no slouch, but still far from elite pro boxer level.

1 Like

He’s 30 years younger and training like a pro, he doesn’t have a top pros ability and never will but he’s got some power, it’s a fucking terrible fight, on the off chance he can finish Tyson it will be one of the saddest days in combat sports history.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/i/status/1786079495566279072

“I just want to make it clear, Mike Tyson is the one who wanted it to be a pro fight. I said to Nakisa, if that is what Mike wants, then that’s fine. But, make sure if you tell Mike that there is no holding back. Whatever happens, happens and this is war now. If he puts me down, I can deal with that, but if I put him down, he needs to be the one making the decision on whether or not he can deal with that. Now that it’s a pro fight, it’s on my record and I’m going to put him down, and if people are pissed about it, then watch soccer,” Paul said.

With it now being a pro-fight, Jake Paul is looking to KO Mike Tyson and have a statement-making performance. Paul is also the betting favorite, as the odds got released with the YouTuber-turned-boxer being a -170 favorite while Tyson is a +130 underdog.

Jake Paul (9-1) is coming off a first-round TKO win over Ryan Bourland back in March, to extend his win streak to three as he also knocked out Andre August in the first round and beat Nate Diaz by decision. Paul’s lone loss came to Tommy Fury by split decision.

Mike Tyson (50-6 and two NC) hasn’t had a pro fight since 2005 when he lost to Kevin McBride by stoppage after being knocked out by Danny Wiliams before that. Tyson did have an exhibition match against Roy Jones Jr. in November of 2020.

Any latest tyson training video floating around?

Pretty good line…

IMG_0489

1 Like

Never before in history have black Americans and white Americans united in such numbers in the hopes of seeing a black man literally beat a white man to death.

3 Likes