jake shields was very exciting

the fight wasnt really exciting but it definitely was not lay n pray or stand n stare

I think it suffered from being 5 x 5 minues. Too much of the same thing.

goku - the fight wasnt really exciting but it definitely was not lay n pray or stand n stare

I thought the same thing. You cant really say it was an exciting ground fight. Even though there were a lot of transitions, there was only 1 submission attempt in the 20 or so minutes on the ground. For a fight to be an exciting ground fight, I like to see more attempts to finish the fight than that.

Funny thing is no one is complaining about the MUCH more boring Silva/Werdum fight....OF COURSE....two Brazilians and BJJer is involved. Typical bias from you guys.

i liked the fight. passing, reversals, close submissions (mayhem's choke and shield's twister/guillotine). I admit rounds 4 and 5 didn't add much more to the fight, but remember when you got two good guys, you're not always going to see a finish.

Shields didn't do much damage from the top b/c Mayhem had very good grappling and cannot be sub'd. But Mayhem didn't do much damage b/c Shields dominated him positionally.

I doubt many in Shields' position would've taken more risks just to please the fans. Just because some fans prefer a standup war doesn't justify criticizing his strategy. He was fighting up a weight for the belt, and there was a lot of $$$ on the line.

Shields was trying to beat Mayhem the way he knows how -- on the ground, not standing. He passed, worked different positions, took the back, etc. He didn't just sit there.

My opinion is if you absolutely hated the fight, that fight was probably beyond you. They put on an awesome show and that's what it looks like when you put 2 top guys together that can cancel each other out.

kipling200 -My opinion is if you absolutely hated the fight, that fight was probably beyond you. They put on an awesome show and that's what it looks like when you put 2 top guys together that can cancel each other out.

FranklinFailedMe - Funny thing is no one is complaining about the MUCH more boring Silva/Werdum fight....OF COURSE....two Brazilians and BJJer is involved. Typical bias from you guys.

What? I thought that fight was awesome. Very technical, great pace.

It was a very good and very technical ground grappling exhibition, I enjoyed the ground work..... as far as being a good fight? I think it wasn't horrible; it wasn't great; it was just ok.

I hate to be one of 'those' people, but.... there wasn't enough striking, which made it seem more like an exhibition than a fight also the fact that Shields seemed happy to win by points (granted I think this was his game plan, and a smart one at that, since Mayhem had better striking than him and proves to be almost impossible to submit).

IrishRottie - its an mma fight not a submission grappling match. shields was boring, all you grappling purists are kidding yourselfs.

This mindset is why I believe that MMA has 3 more years at the most left on top. Because if you don't grapple there is NO WAY that you can understand what's taking place in front of your eyes.

I think it's hilarious how people harp on Jake now but if he would have stood up. The same critics would be saying he shouldn't "stand and wang"...

I thought the Shields/Miller match was excellent. The first 3 rounds were really good, it was the last 2 where it kind of started to lag on, but that was only because Shields kept finding the takedown and staying on top. Given the two styles of the fighters, I really don't know how much more you can ask for. Plus, it's not like it was the friggin main event of a UFC. It was a main card match on FREE television. Get over it.

The match wasnt exciting as everyone hoped for because of each fighter's respective styles...

Mayhem better stand up than Shields and difficult to submit or finish on the ground

Shields better wrestling and takedown

So..... you get Shields doing what he does better than Mayhem which is wrestle (why would Shields do otherwise). Since Mayhem's takedown defense isn't all that good, we see the fight go to the ground which basically leads to a stalemate with submission attempt followed by escapes (great ground work). Only way Shields could win this match is by takedown points and control via wrestling.... only way Mayhem could have won this match up is standup and catching Shields in a submission which he wasnt able to do either because Shields controlled the match to favor his strengths.

Not a great display of a 'fight' in the traditional sense and I wouldn't let a new fan watch this fight because he wouldnt appreciate the ground work, but......

It isn't Shield's fault the fight was boring, it was probably his only way to win the fight and good for him for executing his gameplan properly and successfully.

Note: I placed money on Mayhem and god damn I hated it that Shield's won because of takedown points

xcarnoxometzx - Note: I placed money on Mayhem and god damn I hated it that Shield's won because of takedown points
He didn't win solely on takedowns.

FranklinFailedMe - 
xcarnoxometzx - Note: I placed money on Mayhem and god damn I hated it that Shield's won because of takedown points
He didn't win solely on takedowns.

Haha fine you're right... Shields won by takedown and position (basically that was the control of the whole fight). I'm just a little bitter at Shields cause I lost money.... I should be bitter towards Mayhem though, damn you Monkey Mayhem! lol

"the fight wasnt really exciting but it definitely was not lay n pray or stand n stare"

We must of watched a different fight :/

I enjoyed it!

I thought it was a great fight.

Awesome transitions.

Jake Shields...I just dont know about the guy. He is incredibly boring. Even his finishes are boring.

I thought it was a GREAT fight on both ends, although it did seem like Shields was playing the "just hold top position to gain points" game......which made it slightly boring but oh well....

If that was exciting than you are weird. And I say weird because the other words are too offensive.

linmike94 - i am not. seriously shields/mayhem was one of the most exciting, most technical ground battles i have seen in mma, and i have been watching mma for over 10 years

i agree to, people were PMSing that night so wrong fight at the wrong time for Shields. Very unfortunate, I thought Sonnen vs Miller was a 100 times more boring. But people are assholes, what can you do