JDS and Overeem cut

Reems shell defense was a bad teknique for a heavy. You just can't let those guys tee off on you, even one gets through and its big damage. With his grappling skill clinching would seem to be a smarter defense.

1 Like
jpm995 -

Reems shell defense was a bad teknique for a heavy. You just can't let those guys tee off on you, even one gets through and its big damage. With his grappling skill clinching would seem to be a smarter defense.

And knees, he had seem to have forgot to use those 

Ryann Von Doom - 

Alistair is 4-2 in his last 6 since 2018 and was on a 2 fight win streak. His losses since 2014 are as follows in order of loss; Rothwell, Stipe, Ngannou, Blaydes, Rozenstruik, and finally Volkov. He went 11-6 since that point. Bullshit cut but whatever, we have Derrick Lewis and now Jon Jones along with various other bar brawler types. Yay. 

Sure, but he’s also 4-4 in his last 8, and all 4 were KO/TKO losses…at 40 years old, we know what we’re going to see from him, likely some funs fights, but alternating wins and losses against whomever they put him with in the top 10, and all his losses will be KO/TKO. I can see why they don’t want to keep a 40 year old guy around who is likely to get KO’d often.

With MOST of their other 38+ year old guys, they’re good grapplers (guys like maia and Oleinik) so they have a path to victory that isn’t banging it out with guys. It makes sense they wouldn’t want to keep using a 40+ year old guy who is going to bang with people.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/3/4/22313095/report-junior-dos-santos-cut-turned-down-short-notice-fight-ufc-260-alistair-overeem-mma-news

Last night it was revealed that the UFC had released both Junior dos Santos and Alistair Overeem. While both heavyweights have not had the best records in recent years, the news was nonetheless surprising given the contributions both men made to the promotion and heavyweight MMA in general.

Dos Santos won the UFC heavyweight title with a first KO over Cain Velasquez in 2011, on the UFC’s debut show on FOX. After that he defended the belt with a TKO win over Frank Mir. JDS would lose the belt in his next match, though, taking a brutal five round beating from Velasquez.

After that dos Santos would fail to find his grove and eventually finish his UFC tenure off the back of a four-fight losing streak in which he suffered TKO stoppages versus Francis Ngannou, Curtis Blaydes, Jairzinho Rozenstruik and Ciryl Gane.

Not suprised at all

Dos Santos turned down a fight with Marcin Tybura later this month so the UFC cut him. JDS says he needed more time to prepare. I understand since if he lost that fight his career would pretty much be over at that point. However, it shows where his confidence is that he can't feel he can beat Tybura with a few weeks notice. 

Seems ridiculous to cut JDS 4 months later after his last fight. I wonder if there was other offered fights we don't know about because that seems like BS when he could've been looking for other work.

I rather watch JDS or Overeem fight anyone, even cans, vs 99% of the women’s roster 

Dunno about dos Santos but overeem is definitely a millionaire. Why don't they both just retire before they end up like Goodridge? Overeem especially with his kickboxing record on top of his MMA record. 

Whambo -

Seems ridiculous to cut JDS 4 months later after his last fight. I wonder if there was other offered fights we don't know about because that seems like BS when he could've been looking for other work.

He turned down macin tybura fight that's what got him cut. 

“The final run has come to an end, but what a run it has been,” Overeem wrote. “Looking back at my 10 years in the UFC, this has been the experience of a lifetime. Huge thank you to the entire @ufc staff, the fans and all the fighters I came across. Couldn’t have wished for any other better career path. A special thank you to @danawhite and Lorenzo Fertitta for making everything possible. Fighting for all of you has been such an honor.”

At this stage, it’s unclear whether or not the 40-year-old Overeem intends to continue fighting. If he does, however, he’s likely to be a hot commodity as a free agent. The heavyweight legend will inevitably receive offers from a number of high-profile promotions. In fact, RIZIN Fighting Federation CEO Nobuyuki Sakakibara has already expressed interest in Overeem’s services.

dinkledorf -

Overeem was expensive.

I'd like to see both retire but we all know that's not likely.

FACTS! Happens to all the greats. They’re being paid for a name and past greatness and if the draw #s Side the promotion wants out. Happens in all sports really I suppose

sure have reem a shit intro in the article though huh? “Established mma star who competed in notable promotions”?!?! 

how about dream champ, k1 kickboxing Grand Prix champ, and strike force champ? No hespect??

Stea1th -

I rather watch JDS or Overeem fight anyone, even cans, vs 99% of the women’s roster 

Agree 100% but one Reem paycheck will financially pay for 97% of all the wmma fights for the year.  

Sucks but I get the business move.  I just hope to see uberreem in bellator 

Reem is a HW king......such a legend 

I want to see both in BKFC

branchdavidian -
dinkledorf - 

Overeem was expensive.

I'd like to see both retire but we all know that's not likely.

yea I think it was a carryover from his strikeforce contract, perhaps? He was getting like, Sylvia (vs Fedor) money every fight…

He signed after Strikeforce iirc

The Destroyer88 -
Ryann Von Doom -

Alistair is 4-2 in his last 6 since 2018 and was on a 2 fight win streak. His losses since 2014 are as follows in order of loss; Rothwell, Stipe, Ngannou, Blaydes, Rozenstruik, and finally Volkov. He went 11-6 since that point. Bullshit cut but whatever, we have Derrick Lewis and now Jon Jones along with various other bar brawler types. Yay. 

Reem was probably for financial reasons. 400k for a guy who has been stopped by 5 of the top 7 heavyweights is a hefty price.

This doesn’t hold water for me. He’s a crowd favorite with name recognition who always puts on good fights win or lose. 

![](upload://z3kodG7lm69DG9ZDP47nj3fZuvE.jpeg)

4 Likes
buddie -
The Destroyer88 -
Ryann Von Doom -

Reem was probably for financial reasons. 400k for a guy who has been stopped by 5 of the top 7 heavyweights is a hefty price.

This doesn’t hold water for me. He’s a crowd favorite with name recognition who always puts on good fights win or lose. 

I get the impression Dana’s never particularly liked Alistair