Jiu jitsu skin infections are real!!!

AndersonSilvasMoney - Been thinking about looking into BJJ classes in SoCal this summer, but this thread is scaring the everloving shit out of me.
It's preventable haven't had it in years, the gym has to be willing to make people who have suspicious skin conditions leave and not return until it clears up, religiously clean the mats and equipment, and you have to make hygiene a priority.

Like Joe said you have to be able to ID the conditions and get medical attention when they arise.

Don't be scurred homie Phone Post 3.0

Joe Lauzon - 

Tips to avoid nasty skin stuff that goes along with training…

1) Know what things like mrsa, staph, impetigo, ringworm, cellulitis, etc look like so as soon as one pops up, you know what it is. 

2) Always shower immediately after the gym with something like defense soap or antibacterial soap. Never shower before the gym, as that opens your pores and leaves you more susceptible to picking stuff up. In the same vein, try to take a warm-to-semi-cold shower AFTER the gym so you can get clean first and then after clean, warm up the water. You don't have to be crazy about this, just do whatever you can handle. 

3) NEVER shave immediately before or after the gym. We had one guy at my gym that ended up quitting… he caught staph on his face like 3x in a year. I kept telling him why it was happening (he was the only one in the gym with it) and he was like "Well, I had this same problem at my old gym too…" yet saw no correlation with his shaving and catching staph where he would nick himself shaving. He is the only person I have ever heard of with staph on their face. 

4) Burns and scratches are usually the entry point for infection… so make sure to clean those areas well after training. Long sleeves/pants help if you are really worried about it. One of the guys that lives with me wears long sleeves and a long sleeve spandex top under his shirt… I think its overkill but he has never had any issues catching anything. 

5) Never assume something is a pimple… I have seen tons of people with "stuff" and they have a "weird pimple" somewhere… its not a pimple dude, go get that checked out. I have told lots of guys in my gym to come down with something, not know what it was because they just aren't familiar with it. Ask someone that knows. 

6) If you have anything… or you see someone else that might have something… bring it to someones attention that knows what they are looking at. This goes along with number 5, but its not just about you… it goes for training partners too. 

I've been training for 13 years and ringworm will pop up from time to time but thats it. Keep an eye out and it shouldn't be that big of an issue. 

(and as a side note, most people get it because their body is so weakened from training that their body can't fight things off. The unfortunate truth is this bacteria is everywhere all the time, and you can catch it anywhere.)

I just googled these infections to educate myself...my God.

Why demon?

Yea no shit Phone Post

use some defense soap

Dr Bronners 4 lyfe! Phone Post 3.0

Toquinho - Horror stories of kevin and diego? Pls share. News to me Phone Post 3.0
Randleman had a ridiculous case of staph. I won't post the pic, but here's a link.

http://mmabadass.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/randleman-staph.jpg Phone Post 3.0

Team GDP -

use some defense soap

Fucking eh. Can't believe it took this long for someone to say it haha. Defense is the shit. Use the Defense wipes as soon as I get done rolling and head straight home to shower. I prefer their shower gel to the bar but both work great. Guy is awesome about hooking up UG members with really sweet discounts too. Phone Post 3.0

I just caught ringworm for the first time in six years. I'm really paranoid about skin infections. I wear a long sleeve rashguard and spandex to help prevent skin infections. I shower before and after jiujitsu. I wash my gear right after training.

The one mistake I made was shaving right before class. I thought I had a mosquito bite on my neck, but then it broke open and became obvious that it was ringworm.

I was rolling with someone who was hiding their ringworm. I found out after the fact this asshole was covering up his ringworm with tape so he could continue to train.

Not cool! I ended up taking 9 days off training so I could clear up my ringworm.

Man, I had MRSA with no health insurance, took several months to clear up and I barely missed surgery. I'm also now allergic to antibiotics... I like the defense soap and also dr. bronners as they share several key ingredients. I shower as soon as I can and wear longer rash guards nowadays.

I've been battling some funk for about 6 weeks now. Really irritating. I didnt even get it from the gym I train at, I bought some mats second hand mats for a home gym that I setup and got the funk from rolling on them. The fucker said he washed them down with bleach and I trusted him. I use defense soap too.

Neil McCauley - I've been battling some funk for about 6 weeks now. Really irritating. I didnt even get it from the gym I train at, I bought some mats second hand mats for a home gym that I setup and got the funk from rolling on them. The fucker said he washed them down with bleach and I trusted him. I use defense soap too.
The "funk" could be inside the mats, specially if they have any openings or cracks Phone Post 3.0

d

Neil McCauley - I've been battling some funk for about 6 weeks now. Really irritating. I didnt even get it from the gym I train at, I bought some mats second hand mats for a home gym that I setup and got the funk from rolling on them. The fucker said he washed them down with bleach and I trusted him. I use defense soap too.

GIVE UP THE FUNK!

Had staph in my thumb once. Nasty shit; end of my thumb is now numb.

Don't fuck with staph

In 2 years of wrestling, no one got any ringworm or skin infections. We mopped with bleach and water before every practice.

slickmma - In 2 years of wrestling, no one got any ringworm or skin infections. We mopped with bleach and water before every practice.

This must always be done, good call

Sadly you often get the grotty bastard who doesn't wash his kit every day and puts everyone he rolls with at risk

Motivated Penn - I'm no expert, but I'd wager the biggest cause for this problem is people stuffing gi's that are saturated with sweat into gym bags, then not washing them, or reinserting clean gi's into dirty gym bags, bags still moist with old sweat... yeech.

Yeah I'm guilty of that Phone Post

Cheers for all the advice guys, definitely gonna get some anti bacterial soap, and a new gym bag. Will have to have a word to coach about bleaching the mats more often. Phone Post

Feel better!! And good advice on here!

I got staph last year on my leg. I always shower before and after class. And I always shave me legs hours before BJJ, not that u guys are shaving your legs :) 

I've gotten ring worm 3 times I think but that's it Phone Post 3.0

So for the defense soap. Should I just buy the soap and wipes? Phone Post 3.0