Jon Jones is not a phony Christian

The guy’s a human being. His faith helped him achieve greatness in the sport, and it’s something I’m sure he’s calling upon right now to help him through his latest failing.

He clearly has self-destructive tendencies. If not for his faith, chances are his life would be infinitely worse than it is now.

No one is perfect. But you can see by the tears when he fails that he’s not doing it for fun and truly regrets his actions.

I know people take great delight in his pain, but that says more about them than about him.

6 Likes

I am a Christian and recognize I am not the judge of anyone. It is not my job and I don’t have the authority to do that.

However, as much as we shouldn’t pile on Jones we should not also be giving the man a free pass. There is obviously some type of disconnect with his faith and his lifestyle that manifests itself often.

4 Likes

His problem stems from people enabling him from the jump. He never really dealt with his demons when all of his troubles started. That's why they keep popping up.

He may or may not be an alcoholic but he definitely should think about not drinking period. It would be smart to consider rehab and psychotherapy to deal with his issues head on once and for all. Sober living for his current life and post fight life is the only answer for him, imo. 

1 Like

He is a Christian.

Who likely has substance abuse issues, and possibly some mental health issues.

And he’s the best fighter in the history of mma

2 Likes

Jon Jones is a piece of shit that only thinks about himself. He cheats on his wife. He gets behind the wheel while intoxicated dangering lives. And then hides behind Christianity. 

10 Likes

You guys are morons.  He uses his religion as a "get out of jail free" card and you all know it.  What exactly does that make him, or entitle him to in terms of afterlife?  Beats me.  But I don't have to like the guy or do the "well he's basically a good guy, deep down" nonsense.  He's a piece of shit.  You might want to ask yourself why you identify with him so much.  If it's because you're a piece of shit too, consider the impact that you're probably having on your family and friends.

14 Likes

Jones tears have successfully manipulated OP, I just hope the same thing doesn't happen to the judge

3 Likes
jgiveshead - 

You guys are morons.  He uses his religion as a "get out of jail free" card and you all know it.  What exactly does that make him, or entitle him to in terms of afterlife?  Beats me.  But I don't have to like the guy or do the "well he's basically a good guy, deep down" nonsense.  He's a piece of shit.  You might want to ask yourself why you identify with him so much.  If it's because you're a piece of shit too, consider the impact that you're probably having on your family and friends.

You realize one can be a Christian, and a piece of shit right? They are not mutually exclusive

If you go to a church service of 500 people on any given Sunday , do you honestly feel all 500 live their lives for Jesus, have never cheated on a spouse, never drank and driven, and are all genuinely amazing human beings?

2 Likes

let cut the crap

getting tattoos of scripture and mentioning God are easy

being a Christian is often about what you DONT do as much if not more than what you do

this guy has multiple kids with the same girl and wont marry her for years

openly cheats on her in front of reporters 

threatens to physically kill cormier when he thought the mic was off

THAT is who jones truly is and always has been

the coke/booze/gunplay is just stereotypical low life icing on the cake

13 Likes
HELWIG -

let cut the crap

being a Christian is often about what you DONT do as much if not more than what you do

/thread

OP jumps from thread to thread trolling. you're an idiot if you give him what he wants. let the thread die

1 Like
BrckNoHitBk - 

OP jumps from thread to thread trolling. you're an idiot if you give him what he wants. let the thread die

He may be trolling to get you guys riled up, but he’s right. Either you don’t know the definition of a Christian, or you unrealistic expectations of one. A mass murdered or rapist, or general scum bag can believe in Jesus, and had been baptized as a child. That’s the simple definition

noun

Christian: a person who has received Christian baptism or is a believer in Christianity.

I'm an atheist but there is one thing I do know about religion. We(people) don't get to decide who is a "Real Christian" or "Real Jew".  It's in plain text that it's not for us to judge. Thats also something as an atheist I wouldn't call someone. I think trying to take God or Religion away from someone who values religion is one of the most cruel things a man can do to another man. I probably have said it in the past not knowing the power that one has saying something like that. It's shameful. 

I'm not saying Jon Jones is perfect or that you should respect or like him. That's not what I am saying. Bad acts are just that. We can decide who we want to emulate and who we shouldn't by example. However what we shouldn't do is emulate the behavior we are condemning. Being better than Jon Jones doesn't mean just not using drugs or drinking and driving. It's being better at everything Jon fails to do which includes judging people. Hell if drugs and alcohol was Jon's only problem he would sadly be further along in life than most.

To take away someone's religion like that, is to strip a person of hope to change. Never call someone a fake Christian or Jew. Everyone deserves the chance to change. 

1 Like

Meh, God of the bible is a far bigger piece of shit than Jones is. 

2 Likes
HELWIG - 

let cut the crap

![](upload://uJaIVuFNzBfpWG5KSJw8PAsvp6W.gif)

2 Likes
jgiveshead - 

/thread

1 Like
PassnSmash - 
HELWIG - 

let cut the crap

![](upload://uJaIVuFNzBfpWG5KSJw8PAsvp6W.gif)

Sounds like a typical Christian to me

1 Like

jones literally sees other people as play things and supporting characters that exist in the comic book of life in which he is the sole star.

he enjoys cheating to try and permanently injure opponents, being willing to blind them and then turn his back and run away rather than engage in a fair fight via the agreed rules and risk a loss.

even against a helpless opponent in a fight he's winning, Jones will do something stupid to try and inflict maximum damage using a technique hes never been allowed to drill or use in training.

this is NOT some guy who came up rough and the money and fame are magnifying low decision making habits.

this is a sociopath who can fake normal athlete soundbites when it suits him.

4 Likes
jgiveshead - 

Nobody disagrees. However that says something about Jon Jones's character. Trying to strip him or deny him of his religion says something about our character.  Why even allow him the little bit of energy your using to hate him? He doesn't deserve it. 

99.99% of religious people are fake and choose to follow the scriptures as and when it pleases them. That’s a pretty simple fact of all religions