Jon Jones on Mayweather: boxing pay vs UFC/MMA pay

Read this article by Dave Doyle about Jon Jones talking about Floyd's $40.5 million guarantee (some estimate PFB will take over $100 million total from the Canelo fight) and it has this paragraph:

"Boxing has been around over 100 years," Jones said. "The foundation is set and the money is there. MMA is so new. You can't just expect to be paid, if we're going to be paid $40 million, what is the UFC going to make? Floyd is his own production. We're a fairly new sport. I'm grateful for the money I make. As a 26-year-old I could never imagine being in this position."

Of course, Jones wouldn't mind being paid Mayweather money. While MMA isn't at boxing's level in terms of the payouts to the superstar pay-per-view draws, Jones hopes to be able to help MMA reach such a level.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/9/16/4738560/jon-jones-calls-floyd-mayweathers-payday-ridiculous-in-a-good-way

Seems to contain lots of inaccuracies and the wrong focus. It's not a question of Jon Jones or any other fighter getting $40.5 million as a guarantee. Two things have to happen first-- a UFC fighter needs to draw the same massive buy rates that Floyd does.

Then, because the UFC is the promoter, they would get their cut. So the best a UFC fighter could expect is Manny Paquiao money (20 million guaranteed) for similar buyrates to Manny like GSP sometimes gets (estimating 800,000 average for many of his fights).

There's a lot of revenue being made from UFC fights, its just divided with most of it going to the promoter because they hold all the cards.

The age of the sport-- 100 years, 20 years-- has nothing to do with the revenue collected. The payout is based on the leverage of the fighters.

Too bad Jon Jones diminishes his own position by making this quote.

I think if anyone will do it its jones. Gsp won't be around much longer, and Anderson really tries to mimic greater fighters that we grew up watching.

Jones main elements of his game is something you just don't see that often.

His boxing sucks, but the way he uses his reach and his elbows with beautiful throws is not something you can find in a boxer or your average high level mma fighter.

Will see in the future.

I also think we will see fighters being there own promoters after dana and fertitas are gone, and that's when the big bucks will come in.

I just don't see these guys ever making that kind of money when one company dominates an entire industry. Phone Post

UFC fighters will never make that kind of scratch- because boxing is so top heavy the top 2-3 guys (depending on the era) make that much. The next dozen or so do well. And after that they fight for nothing.

UFC has a bigger middle class. It's better for fans this way. Sorry JBJ. Phone Post

but you do no that jones makes over a mil now right? thats why he didnt take the chael fight on short notice cause he makes so much for a org that is only 7 years young in profits.

ssj - Poor JBJ, I think by the time he retires he might be scratching in the 1mil range at best

if in 10-20 years people are getting paid 10-15mil as Champs, it won't be in U Fight Cheaply, it will be another org stepping over UFC

As much as I disagree with the UFC's wages -- mainly its opacity and their tendency to dismiss any discussion of it with straw-man arguments -- you're foolish if you think JBJ will be scratching 1 mill by the end of his career lol

He's 26yo, getting PPV cuts and an increasing salary. He's in the former crown-jewel weight class of the UFC, breaking records, with major endorsements, from an almost too-good-to-be-true sports family that's fully religious and is also in the NFL where he's constantly mentioned every time Chandler touches the ball lol
I mean christ, the dude stopped a robbery on the way to his first title fight.

The fact that you cite numbers below what we already know top champions are making, 5 mil being a ceiling, shows you're either trolling, or willing to distort the facts and cheapen the discussion -- making you as bad as BLAF when he's gone delusional rant. Barring some fucked melt down, JBJs will be making more than AS money imo, especially because there are so few threats right now

If a PPV gets 800,000 to 1 million buys, Pacquiao is guaranteed about $20 million + a royalty on PPV's above a certain number.

If a UFC PPV gets similar numbers-- well the biggest payoff Dana said was $5 million.

Remember that Pacquiao has a promoter who takes their cut (and the risk).

SuMBJJ - 

UFC fighters will never make that kind of scratch- because boxing is so top heavy the top 2-3 guys (depending on the era) make that much. The next dozen or so do well. And after that they fight for nothing.

UFC has a bigger middle class. It's better for fans this way. Sorry JBJ. Phone Post

You're missing the biggest reason though...

PBF does all his promotion. He's the genius setting up the fight, picking the marketing, choosing the testing...etc

He's the crazy fuck who was genius enough, as much as I'm loathe to admit it, to get that little vanilla turd Bieber as a hype man alongside a sizzurped lil-wayne who probably thought he was still in prison rapping to a toilet cell in tongues

SuMBJJ - UFC fighters will never make that kind of scratch- because boxing is so top heavy the top 2-3 guys (depending on the era) make that much. The next dozen or so do well. And after that they fight for nothing.

I can name 20 guys right now that break in the millions and another 30 that reach as low of 150k to as high as 650k.

People talk abiut these boxers that make dog shit, go in that theead about the guy on mayweather card shady or whatever. He only has 2 fights.

These guys who make crap are not even in the top 100 and are known by a total of 8 people, and that's including there family and friends.

Those boxers are on the same level as those mma fighters who fight at shows that is on a farm in some bum fuck town of Kentucky making 0-$75. Phone Post

SuMBJJ -  UFC fighters will never make that kind of scratch- because boxing is so top heavy the top 2-3 guys (depending on the era) make that much. The next dozen or so do well. And after that they fight for nothing.

You sure about this? Google the purses Lucas, Garcia, Andre Ward, Chad Dawson and others made recently.

where's the link to that brilliant article about how it was possible for Mayweather to be paid that much?

it was mainly based on PPV, and it took a lot of money to drive the PPV numbers up. I don't think boxing is able to pull of that many of these kinds of pay days is it?

The number of "events" in boxing seems small compared to the number in MMA...but the scale is certainly different.

I'm more concerned with the average pay the average pay than the pay for the most elite.

Read my first post more clearly: If there was a UFC event that did 2.7 million PPV buys, the headlining/drawing fighter would not get a $40 million guarantee. They would get significantly less than even Pacquiao would get as a non-promoter of said event.

No matter what kind of revenue a UFC event draws, that revenue will be split with the fighters based on the market value of the fighters. With no competing promotions, that's why GSP banks $4-5 million while sometimes pulling the same PPV numbers that get Pacquiao a guarantee of $20 million.

Brian J DSouza - 

If a PPV gets 800,000 to 1 million buys, Pacquiao is guaranteed about $20 million + a royalty on PPV's above a certain number.

If a UFC PPV gets similar numbers-- well the biggest payoff Dana said was $5 million.

Remember that Pacquiao has a promoter who takes their cut (and the risk).

What exactly is the risk a promoter takes in boxing? Compared to the UFC? Seems to me all the promoter does in boxing is just that.... promote the fight. Doesn't seem to be any financial risk like the UFC takes.

And i just became a fan of Jones the person. Apparently this is all it tool, weird. Don't ask me to explain it, i cant.

The difference between boxing and mma (ufc) is that the big named boxers are bigger than the promotors, while no fighter is bigger than the ufc brand name. UFC is synonymous with the sport of MMA, and developed as its own unique entity. Its going to be hard for any single fighter to grow to that size. Nobody in the ufc right now could pack up shop, create their own fight card and pull in Mayweather type buys. Even GSP, while he could go out and make some money, isn't going to come close. It seems like it would be harder to create the hype and compelling matchups that boxing an create as well, and that might be due the simpler, straight forward technical nature of boxing creating more parity, i am not sure.

A boxing PPV does not go to support an entire business that is trying to grow a sport (that really wouldn't exist on the international stage without that business) so that it can sustain the revenue stream long term. Comparing boxer salaries to MMA salaries is both inappropriate as apples to oranges and fairly naive. They are two different sports with two different business models at this time. Instead of focusing on Mayweather's purse, a better course of action is determining ways to improve the market for MMA fighters. Phone Post 3.0

ssj - Poor JBJ, I think by the time he retires he might be scratching in the 1mil range at best

if in 10-20 years people are getting paid 10-15mil as Champs, it won't be in U Fight Cheaply, it will be another org stepping over UFC

How much do you honestly think Jones gets paid per fight now?

RockyBullwinkle - The highest paid UFC purse ever was supposedly $5 mil and UFC 100 sold 1.6 mil ppv so if it's from that event - which everyone is guessing it's Lesnar - then the bonus is still around $3 per buy. At 2.37 million buys a UFC fighter would make about $7 mil if they headlined the same event. The rest of Floyd's estimated $70 mil - $100 mil would instead go into the owners pockets, as it does now for all the other UFC events..

Except Mayweather isn't splitting the ppv dollars with a cable provider like the UFC has too. Half of the revenue from a UFC ppv event isn't even on the table for Zuffa to use for fighter pay, it is in the cable provider pockets.

SuMBJJ - UFC fighters will never make that kind of scratch- because boxing is so top heavy the top 2-3 guys (depending on the era) make that much. The next dozen or so do well. And after that they fight for nothing.

lololol what a fucking moron Phone Post

Brian J DSouza - 

Read this article by Dave Doyle about Jon Jones talking about Floyd's $40.5 million guarantee (some estimate PFB will take over $100 million total from the Canelo fight) and it has this paragraph:

"Boxing has been around over 100 years," Jones said. "The foundation is set and the money is there. MMA is so new. You can't just expect to be paid, if we're going to be paid $40 million, what is the UFC going to make? Floyd is his own production. We're a fairly new sport. I'm grateful for the money I make. As a 26-year-old I could never imagine being in this position."

Of course, Jones wouldn't mind being paid Mayweather money. While MMA isn't at boxing's level in terms of the payouts to the superstar pay-per-view draws, Jones hopes to be able to help MMA reach such a level.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/9/16/4738560/jon-jones-calls-floyd-mayweathers-payday-ridiculous-in-a-good-way

Seems to contain lots of inaccuracies and the wrong focus. It's not a question of Jon Jones or any other fighter getting $40.5 million as a guarantee. Two things have to happen first-- a UFC fighter needs to draw the same massive buy rates that Floyd does.

Then, because the UFC is the promoter, they would get their cut. So the best a UFC fighter could expect is Manny Paquiao money (20 million guaranteed) for similar buyrates to Manny like GSP sometimes gets (estimating 800,000 average for many of his fights).

There's a lot of revenue being made from UFC fights, its just divided with most of it going to the promoter because they hold all the cards.

The age of the sport-- 100 years, 20 years-- has nothing to do with the revenue collected. The payout is based on the leverage of the fighters.

Too bad Jon Jones diminishes his own position by making this quote.

Jones is advised by. . . oh, yes, Malki and Wayne Harriman. 

Has nothing to do with the age of the sport. 

LILBROCK - 

How much do you honestly think Jones gets paid per fight now?

Jones does solid ppv numbers. He probably makes in 2-3 million range.

AS others have said, the reason Mayweather makes what he does because he's essentially the promotion, not unlike the UFC. Both UFC and Mayweather are brands. The difference is the former is the top of the MMA chain and the latter IS boxing. Pacquiao, Klitschko, those type of guys are a big distant second. It's not even close. And that's the problem with boxing. The reason Mayweather rose above is because Oscar essentially 'put him over' in his loss, passing the torch. But it's not enough to just pass it; you need to have charisma and he has that IT. Whose to say the guy that Mayweather passes the torch to will have the same success or that personality to get the dial moving? Nobody thought there would be another Oscar on the horizon and Mayweather has met and dimissed that with his PPV buys.

The problem I find with boxing is it's very much a 1% game, whereas MMA is more favorable to the middle-class. The even bigger problem is there may not be another PPV king to come along in boxing once Mayweather is done. With UFC, the brand is bigger than the fighter. But Mayweather is bigger than boxing! Where's the proof? How about that the Mayweather/Alvarez fight was a unification bout and NO ONE CARES and that is sad. The belts in boxing mean less than the belts in WWE. It is really pathetic. He's built as Mayweather, not as the WBC and WBA champion. He is bigger than the titles he holds and that model is not sustainable long-term, for the health of boxing. Mayweather should promote the titles as something meaningful and valuable, something that he cherishes as much as his houses and cars. But he doesn't and, therefore, no one cares.

I don't see boxing ever dying. But we've already seen, at least in North America, that the heavyweight fighters of decades past are not coming back, not as long as the money and fame are more attractive in football, basketball, and baseball. More kids grow up wanting to play those sports than partake in boxing. The next heavyweight champion is a NCAA DE who will try out for the NFL.

I don't know...I just don't have a good feeling after Mayweather decides to hangs it up, whether he retires on top or because he no longer can compete.