Jones brought in Yoel Romero...

He was brought in for Jones or he went there to train with Jones. Big difference. Either way, he's a badass training partner. Phone Post 3.0

ShortyMac - 
Morpheus1976 - 
Morgz - 

anyway, seems to me how that rule reads, Jon Jones may be exposing himself to issues with the AC as well.  I would think his team is on top of that, but who knows?  

they are both violating rules, so both can get a fine/sup.

TTT

Maybe need some clarification here.  I was assuming it's potential trouble with the commision, but now reading it again, it's the USADA/UFC Anti Doping Policy, not the commision.  So maybe they potentially are in trouble with the UFC intstead of the commision? 

Morgz - 
ShortyMac - 
Morpheus1976 - 
Morgz - 

anyway, seems to me how that rule reads, Jon Jones may be exposing himself to issues with the AC as well.  I would think his team is on top of that, but who knows?  

they are both violating rules, so both can get a fine/sup.

TTT

Maybe need some clarification here.  I was assuming it's potential trouble with the commision, but now reading it again, it's the USADA/UFC Anti Doping Policy, not the commision.  So maybe they potentially are in trouble with the UFC intstead of the commision? 

i am glad you at least read the article, which the majority of posters didn't do, but still have a opinion abut it.

This appears to violate the USADA 'prohibited association' clause.

They will likely be warned by USADA. If they continue sanctions can follow. Phone Post 3.0

ErikMagraken - This appears to violate the USADA 'prohibited association' clause.

They will likely be warned by USADA. If they continue sanctions can follow. Phone Post 3.0

That seems like a really weird rule to me. You're telling me if a gym owner is on suspension, like Nick Diaz for example, he can't go to his own gym and train if others there are getting ready for a pro fight?  I think it's obvious not one person has ever abided by this. But it is funny how it all of a sudden comes up because Jones is involved.  I bet we could all find pics/video of Overeem, Diaz, Chael, Rotjwell, Anderson, Barnett, etc...training win pros while on suspension.

FrontBroRian - 
ErikMagraken - This appears to violate the USADA 'prohibited association' clause.

That seems like a really weird rule to me. You're telling me if a gym owner is on suspension, like Nick Diaz for example, he can't go to his own gym and train if others there are getting ready for a pro fight?  I think it's obvious not one person has ever abided by this. But it is funny how it all of a sudden comes up because Jones is involved.  I bet we could all find pics/video of Overeem, Diaz, Chael, Rotjwell, Anderson, Barnett, etc...training win pros while on suspension.

Its come up before.  Letourneau was warned and prevented from training with Lombard during his period of ineligibility - http://combatsportslaw.com/2015/11/09/usadaufcs-prohibited-association-policy-rears-its-head-on-cusp-of-straweight-title-fight/

As for the Jones comment, he likely is not in violation.  For him to breach the policy USADA has to warn him in writing that Yoel is currently serving a period of ineligibility.

FrontBroRian -

Comes up when there is photo evidence Phone Post 3.0

ErikMagraken - 
FrontBroRian - 

Its come up before.  Letourneau was warned and prevented from training with Lombard during his period of ineligibility - http://combatsportslaw.com/2015/11/09/usadaufcs-prohibited-association-policy-rears-its-head-on-cusp-of-straweight-title-fight/

As for the Jones comment, he likely is not in violation.  For him to breach the policy USADA has to warn him in writing that Yoel is currently serving a period of ineligibility.

Ah good to know.  Still weird to me.  I understand they can't be licensed to corner I fight, but bizarre they bar they from training in a gym they likely pay a monthly membership to.

FrontBroRian - 
ErikMagraken - 
FrontBroRian - 

Ah good to know.  Still weird to me.  I understand they can't be licensed to corner I fight, but bizarre they bar they from training in a gym they likely pay a monthly membership to.

Its a very heavy handed policy.  The type of stuff you don't see in collectively bargained anti-doping policies. 

FrontBroRian - 
ErikMagraken - 
FrontBroRian - 

its USADA rules, these exist way longer then UFC hired them to do the testing. Jones isn't target here. Romero needs a better coaching/management who explain those rules to him.

Morpheus1976 - 
FrontBroRian - 
ErikMagraken - 
FrontBroRian - 

its USADA rules, these exist way longer then UFC hired them to do the testing. Jones isn't target here. Romero needs a better coaching/management who explain those rules to him.

But let's be realistic here.  Suspended fighters are not going to stop training.  They just need to be told no pics or video while under suspension. 

Good info, Erik.  Thanks

Yes, I was also going to point out that this is not the first time this has been brought up -- but it is a relatively new regulation -- so, it only would make sense that they would be pretty lenient with warnings right now.

If Jones does receive a written warning and continues to train with him anyway, then it's gotta be trouble.

here are some more details about the Letourneau/lombard case

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/11/9/9698260/ufc-193-joanna-vs-letourneau-cornerman-lombard-usada-ban-drug-test-failure-mma-news

FrontBroRian - 
Morpheus1976 - 
FrontBroRian - 
ErikMagraken - 
FrontBroRian - 

But let's be realistic here.  Suspended fighters are not going to stop training.  They just need to be told no pics or video while under suspension. 

Its not that Yoel can't train .  And its not that he can't train in a gym that he pays a membership to.

The rule is he can't train with active pro fighters, and vica versa, while he's suspended. 

So Yoel (and any other suspended fighter) can still train, they just need to do it during separate hours from the other licensed pros.

We don't yet know the specifics of the arbitration agreement either Phone Post 3.0

vintirex - We don't yet know the specifics of the arbitration agreement either Phone Post 3.0

This rule was made long before USADA did MMA testing. it wasn't written in spirit of a gym, but more for the individual athlete.
It would be wise for the UFC to chance that rule, so fighters still can train on their level even on suspension, or it would be to hard to come back from a suspension on a prof level.

Morgz - 
FrontBroRian - 
Morpheus1976 - 
FrontBroRian - 
ErikMagraken - 
FrontBroRian - 

Its not that Yoel can't train .  And its not that he can't train in a gym that he pays a membership to.

The rule is he can't train with active pro fighters, and vica versa, while he's suspended. 

So Yoel (and any other suspended fighter) can still train, they just need to do it during separate hours from the other licensed pros.

But again, let's be realistic here.  They are going to continue to train with pro fighters.  It's just going to happen.  I've been in gyms during 'pro class' and the doors are locked to the public.  It's the team training together with the coaches.  Nick (or any other suspended fighter) is still going to train with his brother and training partners.  They just need to not post it on social media.

Its also one of those things where you know everyone who gets suspended is going to do it, and their team mates are still going to train with them.  I don't kow how they would ever police it.  Agree the UFC may want to consider adjusting that part of their agreement with USUDA.

Or possibly there is more to the rule that we aren't seeing here?

Edit:  must have been responding the same time as frontbroryan....yes, I agree with you

Morgz -

Who knows Phone Post 3.0

The Sultan -
Morgz -

Who knows Phone Post 3.0
Jon is safe unless USADA first warned him in writing about Yoel's 'ineligible' status Phone Post 3.0