Jones vs DC wrestling....

Naturally I'm talking about MMA wrestling, we all know Dan is superior in the wrestling department.

How does everybody see the wrestling playing out? Stalemate or one-sided in favor of Dan or Jones?

If this is about Hendo vs Jones, Bones ragdolls him anyway he wants IMO. Shame Hendo never made it to Jones, would've been a nice win in his GOAT resume

edit: Your Dan confused me, I'm guessing Cormier will get some takedowns but Jones pops right back up, clinch will be pretty even

I have no idea, but here's a great Jack Slack article about Cormier's MMA wrestling:

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/jack-slack-daniel-cormier-does-wrestling-right

Can't wait to see this go down , hopefully Cormier on top Phone Post 3.0

There's no comparison on paper when it comes to pure waters, but it's all about the important distinction that you make: MMA wrestling is a whole other animal.

We haven't seen much from Jones lately. It seemed he really was showcasing it early on and seems to be pulling away from it. Is he training it less or just using it in the ring less? This is a factor. How sharp is his wrestling?

Cormier IMO hasn't had to pull out all the stops with his MMA wrestling. We've only seen it occasionally because most people figure it's a waste to wrestle with him and he seems content to strike. I think Cormier has things to show that he hasn't yet in the MMA wrestling department.

I think this fight in terms of MMA wrestling comes down to this: will Jones wrestle with Cormier in the clinch? If so, Cormier beats him wrestling-wise. If Jones use the Thai clinch WITH his wrestling, I think he beats Cormier wrestling wise.

Being MMA, if he mixes the elbows and knees from the Thai clinch against a shorter fighter, he'll be nailing his takedowns right after a volley.

In my bones, I feel that Cormier is going to strike in the first round - especially since people are sleeping on his punching power. Then as the rounds go on, start looking for those takedowns to get a G&P win. I think that's where he wants to be: in a top position G&Ping.

Cornier easily. Plus Jon has struggled with his wrestling his last couple fights, he could not get Gus or Glover to the ground, and Gus got him down twice.

Some good observations so far.....

Finally an actual thread with discussion, VU OP.

As for wrestling, as a Jones fan, I filly expect him to be put on his back, and kept there for a little while. I'm interested to see how he fighters off his back Phone Post 3.0

When he thinks I'm gonna box I'm gonna wrestle. When he thinks I'm gonna wrestle I'm gonna box Phone Post 3.0

I think Jones is going to stay away from the wrestling game the first 2 rounds and make it his top priority to never let DC close the distance.

Then after DC is a little tired and has ate 2 rounds worth of jabs and weird kicks, he's going to clinch Daniel and maul him against the fence. He'll test his takedown defense from there.

I don't think Jones thinks that he needs to take DC down, but he will if it's easy enough, late in the fight. Phone Post 3.0

not one sided in Cormier's favor.

You can't teach the level of wrestling that Dan has, but you also can't teach length.

I wonder if after this fight we'll see an upswing in people training wrestling like what happened with Karo and Judo.

ABE FROMAN -

You can't teach the level of wrestling that Dan has, but you also can't teach length.

I wonder if after this fight we'll see an upswing in people training wrestling like what happened with Karo and Judo.

Wait. All these "get longer arms" classes I'm taking are bullshit?

Dammit.. Phone Post 3.0

Mirko Troll Cop - 
ABE FROMAN -

Wait. All these "get longer arms" classes I'm taking are bullshit?

Dammit.. Phone Post 3.0

I see Cormier taking down Jones quite a bit and stopping most of Jones' attempts. I doubt he'll be able to hold him down too long though.

Sub Phone Post 3.0

I'm from the uk so I don't know a great deal about wrestling other than what I've seen over the years in mma.

Any ug'ers that can explain the main differences between normal wrestling and it's application in the cage( other than the obvious getting punched in the face etc).

Would be interesting to hear, just how you have to adjust traditional striking methods because of the threat of being taken down, I wonder what adjustments wrestlers make in the cage. Phone Post 3.0

Huey freman - I'm from the uk so I don't know a great deal about wrestling other than what I've seen over the years in mma.

Any ug'ers that can explain the main differences between normal wrestling and it's application in the cage( other than the obvious getting punched in the face etc).

Would be interesting to hear, just how you have to adjust traditional striking methods because of the threat of being taken down, I wonder what adjustments wrestlers make in the cage. Phone Post 3.0
The setups are very different-- for example in folkstyle/freestyle youre usually standing much closer to your opponent because you dont have to worry about strikes Phone Post 3.0

Huey freman - I'm from the uk so I don't know a great deal about wrestling other than what I've seen over the years in mma.

There are a couple of wrestling afficianados in this thread, hopefully we can get their viewpoints.

In traditional wrestling competition do you "shoot" for a takedown as in mma or are you as I assumed kind of locked together grappling and get takedowns through suplexes etc.

Is the shot just an mma technique to transition from striking distance to a takedown? Phone Post 3.0