Josh Thomson UFC vs Bellator Salary

At Dynamite this past weekend, Josh Thomson made 10,000$ with no win bonus. In his 4 UFC fights, the least he made was 84,000$.

Is the sponsorship difference really enough to have the Bellator move be more lucrative for him? I find it hard to make up the 75,000$ difference per fight in sponsorships dollars.

Assuming he fights twice per year, would the Bellator contract with sponsors be worth more than the UFC contract without sponsors? Phone Post 3.0

Did the UFC even make him an offer? Phone Post 3.0

Aleck911 - Did the UFC even make him an offer? Phone Post 3.0

Good point. Maybe he was comparing it to the UFC offering him nothing, which would make it much more lucrative.

Aleck911 - Did the UFC even make him an offer? Phone Post 3.0
Not sure. He went out on 3 losses but was still fringe top 10 in his division.

I'm just wondering his logic in signing a contract for 1/8 of your disclosed previous pay without any win bonus. Phone Post 3.0

I think he said he had 3 sponsors that paid 35k each? Phone Post 3.0

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/9/16/9335103/josh-thomson-might-be-retired-right-now-if-not-for-scott-cokers

Thomson was only making $5,000 per fight in sponsorship money with the Reebok tiered, tenure structure. He said that three sponsors alone are paying him more than $35,000 for his Bellator debut and there are more to come. Thomson also said he was making up to $90,000 in sponsors per fight during his run as one of the best lightweights in the UFC and Strikeforce.

"I had no intentions of testing the waters in the free-market until I heard that we were about to lock down a sponsorship deal," Thomson said. "They took away our sponsors. That was the only deal."

100k for sponsors

Sponsorship money or not, it's a huge blunder on Thomson's part to accept just $10,000 a fight from Bellator. What was he thinking? He's worth far more than that.

sponsors or not Thompson making 10k is criminal. He should have explored better options than quickly signing with Bellator, even some Wsof guys make way more money.

Morpheus1976 - 100k for sponsors
105k from his 3 biggest sponsors.
He has more sponsors. Phone Post 3.0

Something is way off with these numbers. Phone Post 3.0

Im sure Coker and Josh has some sort of deal for them to report his salary as $10k

Steve Iceman Little - sponsors or not Thompson making 10k is criminal. He should have explored better options than quickly signing with Bellator, even some Wsof guys make way more money.

That's not how sponsorship money works. Where do you watch wsof? Does it have a potential reach of over 100 million homes and gets almost 1 million viewers?

trobinson21 - It always amazes me when message board posters on the internet question guys like Josh Thompson's credibility.

The unintended consequence of the anonymity of the internet is it gives some mouth breathers who have never been anyone or done anything confidence and power they could have never imagined in their own personal shitbag lives.

Good for The Punk. Phone Post 3.0
How was I questioning his credibility? I was implying that he is worth way more than 10k per fight. I was questioning the benefit from sponsorships as to hope that he would keep the same/have higher payouts with the new company.

If I wasn't a fan, I wouldn't have made the post. I was just curious of other poster's thoughts on how he would get paid.

Now, back to my mouth breathing. Phone Post 3.0

EKPOGI - Im sure Coker and Josh has some sort of deal for them to report his salary as $10k
This. Thomson hasn't fought for only 10k in well over a decade Phone Post 3.0

At least in Bellator he will win fights and make a run for the title. I didn't see that happening in the UFC.

Pretty sure that means all 3 combined sponsors equal 35k total, not individually.

It's tough to know how much guys actually take home following a fight. All we have disclosed pay, disclosed sponship money (in the UFC), and sponsorship money or other pay guys choose to tell us about. 

It's also tough to compare a fighter's market value before and after a three fight skid. The fighter's value goes down at least temporarily, but by how much? 

Without knowing exactly what Thomson was taking home at the UFC vs. Bellator, and without seeing competing offers for Thomson's services following his release from the UFC, it's tough to say how well Bellator paid him compared to other promotions. 

But if Thomson chose Bellator, I assume he thought he was getting the best deal there. 

bonnie -

It's tough to know how much guys actually take home following a fight. All we have disclosed pay, disclosed sponship money (in the UFC), and sponsorship money or other pay guys choose to tell us about. 

It's also tough to compare a fighter's market value before and after a three fight skid. The fighter's value goes down at least temporarily, but by how much? 

Without knowing exactly what Thomson was taking home at the UFC vs. Bellator, and without seeing competing offers for Thomson's services following his release from the UFC, it's tough to say how well Bellator paid him compared to other promotions. 

But if Thomson chose Bellator, I assume he thought he was getting the best deal there. 

VU for thorough and well thought out response.

My first thought was it was robbery for a veteran of the sport to be on a main card on national television and making 10k. I wanted some insight to where the rest came from, what amount isn't disclosed, etc.... Phone Post 3.0

trobinson21 -
2nolatch4 -
trobinson21 - It always amazes me when message board posters on the internet question guys like Josh Thompson's credibility.

The unintended consequence of the anonymity of the internet is it gives some mouth breathers who have never been anyone or done anything confidence and power they could have never imagined in their own personal shitbag lives.

Good for The Punk. Phone Post 3.0
How was I questioning his credibility? I was implying that he is worth way more than 10k per fight. I was questioning the benefit from sponsorships as to hope that he would keep the same/have higher payouts with the new company.

If I wasn't a fan, I wouldn't have made the post. I was just curious of other poster's thoughts on how he would get paid.

Now, back to my mouth breathing. Phone Post 3.0
I didn't quote you brother...deep breaths, in your nose....out your mouth. Phone Post 3.0
I'll just breathe in and out through my mouth. Seems easier that way. Phone Post 3.0