Judo resurgence in MMA?

With all the wrestlers we see today, just dominating and dictating the fight, being the determinant fact whos the better wrestler, you guys think Judo techniques and dynamics will come back to try and neutralize the lineal domination of wrestling dictating the fight?

I mean as a practicioner i would recommend a great fighter who struggles with wrestling for example, McGregor or Wonderboy to have a couple Judo techniques in their pocket to go to.

Machida tried it in his come up mixing his BJJ with Judo, training with olympic medalist Ishii, worked pretty well to level his takedowns.

Are fighters/trainers sleeping on this?

Didn't they change the rules in Judo (such as no leg attacks) to minimise the dominance of wrestlers that were jumping into judo?

So not sure how that helps, but I'm ignorant of Judo. Phone Post 3.0

Judo without the gi is pretty much wrestling. You're trying to throw someone with underhooks or overhooks. These moves exist in wrestling as well. You're not going to surprise a good wrestler by learning a throw or two.

Conor or wonderboy could Not Just pick up judo techniques one Day With a couple of lessons.

Judo has a longer learning curve, compared To Most orher Arts. Phone Post 3.0

I was thinking about getting into judo to better my take down defense.. Cuz it's dirt cheap and there's a legit dojo down the street, also learn some throws, I have a boxing background and bjj but it's the in between part I lack, the takedowns and tdd so I figured doing some judo would improve it.. Hopefully. Unless the high school kids will let me jump in their wrestling practice lol

The lack of leg attacks in judo really hamper it as mma training Phone Post 3.0

Judo is too reliant on the gi grips that aren't available in an mma fight to truly ever be effective. It's explosive movements also take a tremendous ballistic movement which can be very draining on your cardio.

The grips your opponent is able to make are often exceptionally strong and don't allow you to protect sensitive areas such as your neck and shoulder when you land. Neck and shoulder injuries are bad and can be a tremendous hindrance in mma

Also many judo throws require a reaping of the knee, which increase the probability of knee injuries. Another potentially debilitating injury.

Judo also doesn't allow shooting below the waist anymore and eliminates a judoka learning how to counter throw a wrestler off of his shot.

All of these reasons are why I think judo is very limited in mma. Wrestling will continue to dominate in mma in my opinion. I don't think that will ever change.

Once you throw someone on their back in judo the match is over. Wrestlers are almost impossible to keep on their backs if you are even able to put one there.

The mentality and physical and mental conditioning that wrestling provides as well as the 3 period system that wrestling uses has unintentionally created the best amateur background and system you could possibly have to prepare yourself for mma.

A lot of the best grapplers such as nurmogomedov (as do many of the wrestlers from the north caucus mountains) and jacacre have a definite judo influence but it is far from there base. A lot of judo techniques work great but really only when complimented with a strong wrestling base. Phone Post 3.0

Newaza freak - Conor or wonderboy could Not Just pick up judo techniques one Day With a couple of lessons.

Judo has a longer learning curve, compared To Most orher Arts. Phone Post 3.0
These guys should wrestle and drill as much as their bodies will allow. Picking up wrestling at their age tends to increase the probability for injury because they aren't smooth with the movements.

Their main focus should be that their footwork movements pattens are inherently defending takedowns by misaligning their bodies from a squared on position with their opponents, so that they are not standing with their hips directly squared to the opponent when they commit to strikes that way they aren't driven through.

To be good at judo requires and incredible hip sensitivity that takes years to develop. It's not something that's easy to perform in the conditions of a fight against a top caliber opponent like these guys are facing either. Phone Post 3.0

Most of you guys are missing my point, im not saying that Judo is going to be the main style in MMA, im saying it would make a good come back trying to neutralize how dominating wrestling is. 

Granted when we know one of the fighters is better at wrestling, the other fighter has a great disadvantage, because the wrestler can dictate the fight and get the takedown, its going to be directly related to wrestling habilities, probably the only style to counter wrestling is judo dynamic techniques.

About the change in judo grabbing the legs, well I was competing when they banned it, and I had mixed feelings about, because when wrestlers were there grabbing legs all day, perhaps what judo should of done is try and deal with it but what was in trial was loosing the style of judo which is not mainly leg or base grabs but hip throws, trips, sacrifice etc. If you want to make a comparison lets say they let you throw big hooks in Taekwondo competition, its gonna ruin the style, i think that was the thought behind banning it.

And btw for anyone who thinks Judo techniques dont apply to MMA think again, they do need a grapplig or wrestling adaptation but youre crazy if you dont think for a guy that struggles with wrestling like McGregor to learn to execute and time for example a Uchi Mata or a trip would raise his defense/chances against the superior wresler.

Basically im saying most of non wrestlers or judokas should add at lease 1 or 2 judo techniques to their basic training and just put the technique down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN2VBD_MYtg

Theres many examples of my point, one of them is this fight, Ben Askren vs a brazilian dude countering obviously the better wrestler, with judo techniques, see it yourself.

kevins852 -

Most of you guys are missing my point, im not saying that Judo is going to be the main style in MMA, im saying it would make a good come back trying to neutralize how dominating wrestling is. 

Granted when we know one of the fighters is better at wrestling, the other fighter has a great disadvantage, because the wrestler can dictate the fight and get the takedown, its going to be directly related to wrestling habilities, probably the only style to counter wrestling is judo dynamic techniques.

About the change in judo grabbing the legs, well I was competing when they banned it, and I had mixed feelings about, because when wrestlers were there grabbing legs all day, perhaps what judo should of done is try and deal with it but what was in trial was loosing the style of judo which is not mainly leg or base grabs but hip throws, trips, sacrifice etc. If you want to make a comparison lets say they let you throw big hooks in Taekwondo competition, its gonna ruin the style, i think that was the thought behind banning it.

And btw for anyone who thinks Judo techniques dont apply to MMA think again, they do need a grapplig or wrestling adaptation but youre crazy if you dont think for a guy that struggles with wrestling like McGregor to learn to execute and time for example a Uchi Mata or a trip would raise his defense/chances against the superior wresler.

Basically im saying most of non wrestlers or judokas should add at lease 1 or 2 judo techniques to their basic training and just put the technique down.

Don't really get the point of your multi paragraph thesis. Judo is going to make a resurgence in the form of one or two moves that guy without wrestling background can use?

Let me guess someone just started judo? Phone Post 3.0

The biggest problem is they start in the clinch. They aren't as good as closing the distance. That's just my opinion though. Phone Post 3.0

kevins852 -

I'm confused.
You say Judo is the only style that counters wrestling, but admitted wrestling was either changing the style of judo by being too dominant, or that the current version of judo ( thus the version that would make the comeback) is inferior to the old style of judo and thus by nature, is less able to deal with the leg attacks of wrestling? Phone Post 3.0

Jim Hettes has some of the best Judo highlights in the UFC. At one time in like 2012 before his previous injury bug he was leading the featherweight division with like 25 takedowns with Bermudez and Mendes the next two behind him and all of the takedowns were throws or trips no shots, singles or doubles etc. Phone Post 3.0

I think the influx of Eastern Europeans will bring in more judo. Lots of those guys do both wrestling and judo with sambo mixed in. Plus, they're crazy and go for risky stuff.

Resurgence? When was the original surge? Phone Post 3.0

I recommend judu and sumu. Phone Post 3.0

Brazilian jiu-jitsu techniques are a whole lot rougher than judo's, pal, and if you think you know better, then maybe I gotta reeducate you a little; lock my arms and legs around you and just start screwing my hard-on into your hips, dude, tying you down and feeling you up and choking you out all once! Phone Post 3.0

AgedCaviar - Brazilian jiu-jitsu techniques are a whole lot rougher than judo's, pal, and if you think you know better, then maybe I gotta reeducate you a little; lock my arms and legs around you and just start screwing my hard-on into your hips, dude, tying you down and feeling you up and choking you out all once! Phone Post 3.0
/unzips
Tell me more. Phone Post 3.0

I could tell you right now that Travis Stevens, who is a judoka, would be competitive in the UFC within a year of MMA training. High level judo players are monsters. Phone Post 3.0