Just think of what Saku could have done

Sakuraba is generally considered one of the best P4P MMAers of all time, and a true pioneer in the sport. What's crazy about this, is that around the time he stepped into the cage for his first MMA fight in the UFC, he was already at or perhaps a bit past his physical prime. Not to mention the fact that he was fighting 20 pounds or more over what would have been his natural weight class in the sport.

I mean, this is a guy who spent the first several years of his post-university career doing pro wrestling, and he still managed to be one of the most dominant fighters in the history of the sport. Just imagine if, instead of joining the pro wrestling circuit, he had started his career in Pancrase or Shooto right out of school and already had 6 or 7 years of MMA experience by the time he hit PRIDE.

Mind = Bottled

i'm too busy thinking about what he DID.

I admit, that is fairly time consuming.

I would have more liked to see him in RINGS instead of KINGDOM, where he could have been eased into the MMA scene like Tamura.

But the problem also is that I think being 'past his prime' is exactly what makes him great. Many of the world class wrestlers win medals around 28-35. You may be in a bit of a physical decline at that age, but you've peaked in development of your game.

What happened to Saku was decline from damage, the game improving and age, in that order.

Kai Tremeche - 
But the problem also is that I think being 'past his prime' is exactly what makes him great. Many of the world class wrestlers win medals around 28-35. You may be in a bit of a physical decline at that age, but you've peaked in development of your game.

Are you sure about that? Even Karelin retired when he was 33 and was at peak dominance in his mid/late 20s.

Tomato Can - 
Kai Tremeche - 

Are you sure about that? Even Karelin retired when he was 33 and was at peak dominance in his mid/late 20s.

It's for the most part, mileage may vary. It depends on where you crest and what skills.

I mean, we had a 20 year old win a freestyle gold just with having a great single leg.

Disregard, I found some data that contradicts what I said now...

http://www.curbywrestling.com/pdf/AgesofOlympicWrestlingChampions.pdf

It's around 27 years old.

Yea I think physical peal for men is generally around 25-30. When Saku turned 30 the GP hadn't happened and he hadn't fought Royler or even Anthony Macias yet.

i often thought if he was as roided as most of his opponents he woulda done better too

Joe Ray Fan -  Imagine if he didn't smoke like a chimney, get bombed all the time and actually trained harder than a bodybuilding workout and then a regular class with some added sparring.

Yup, then you have no juice, no GH, not cutting, etc. My all time favorite by far.

Joe Ray Fan -  Saku and Frank were so amazing for their time, or any time. I'd still pay to see that match. I'd pay a lot more in 2000 or '01

Prime Sak and Frank would be champs today in their weight classes.

BTW,Sak is the greatest fighter that ever walked the earth.

Saku approves of this thread!

voorhees - 
Joe Ray Fan -  Saku and Frank were so amazing for their time, or any time. I'd still pay to see that match. I'd pay a lot more in 2000 or '01

Prime Sak and Frank would be champs today in their weight classes.

BTW,Sak is the greatest fighter that ever walked the earth.

I just really wish that:

1) Pride wouldn't have fed him to Vanderlei Silva three times.

2) He took his training seriously

if Sakuraba had fought at his actual proper fighting weight of 170 pounds or even at 185, he would be a much healthier dude today. would have dominated the weight too, i always wish they would have matched him with Hughes or Frank

mach would have been fun too

Pride shouldn't have made him fight heavy weights.

Sak's a guy who could've been the greatest ever, but he did a LOT of things wrong...and most of them weren't MMA ring.

1. He never really trained like someone like GSP or A. Silva does. Drinking/smoking/bingeing doesn't exactly work as well as eating well and training your ass off.

2. He never turned down anything...ever.

3. He fought at about 25-20 lbs. higher than he should've.

4. Rather than fighting smart, often times he'd fight to entertain later in his career.

5. He let his body take an absolute beating. Prior ro MMA he was taking high power wrestling bumps that probably concussed him even back in those days. Fake or not - getting kicked in the head at 70% power or thrown onto your head from 6 feet in the air doesn't help anyone's health.

oh yea, him even fighting in the UFC with weight classes would have changed history.

Imagine if Coleman had had to face a healthy Fujita,and Saku had gotten the decision win(that he deserved IMO)over Igor...

Saku(at 170 lbs)could have won the 2000GP!

japetto - It is also possible that he fought better out of what would appear to be his "natural" weight class.

But regardless, we can only imagine.

No.The only times I can ever remember him losing were to people bigger than him,except for maybe when he lost to that Nino Schembri guy.