Karo's Throws Overrated

"Yeah I always wondered why other "better judokas" don't do the stuff he does.He has transitioned it to mma better than anyone else for sure."

SIMPLE:

He's been doing MMA alongside judo as a young teen where the "better judokas" are making a later transition to MMA.

And with Fedor, you're not gonna see HWs throw guys like that in MMA esp. without the gi but Fedor's td style is pure judo. Watch him inside CC for example. He does it with CC coming TO him and so tripping CC with CC coming forward where as in wrestling, because you dont have the gi to pull, its almost always with your opponent going backwards (which is still common in judo).

Also, watch Karo and Manny against Lauzon, use those footsweeps. They are the equivalent of jabs in judo.

"But he does have some of...if not the best Judo in MMA"

Change MMA to UFC and that is closer to a correct statement. Karo's throws in the Diego fight did not seem to do much, IMO. Probably tired Karo out more than damaging Diego or allowing Karo to get better positions.

Nice to see judo represented in the UFC, I personally would just like to see someone else do the representing...

thanks for the feedback. we don't need to talk about karo's ego, just his throws.

Man, Karo's throws suck

"People talk about Nog having the best BJJ applied to MMA and I think that's bullshit."

ok, now its OBVIOUS you have no idea what the fuck your saying

I couldn't believe what I read. Even coming into mma considerably past his prime, Yoshida is a legend, while Karo is a mid-carder. Comparing them judo-wise is like a high school footballer versus the NFL. Not even a topic of conversation among anyone remotely knowledgeable.

Right on Darren, thanks buddy

his throws look greattt

hence points baby!!!!

I'd say that Karo probably could've gone further in Judo, but because of his age MMA was obviously a better choice. I also think that while Yoshida or other world class Judoka have better technique, they can't apply it as well because they're so used to doing it with a gi. Karo obviously isn't. He's thrown Couture in practice for cripe's sake. Ironically enough, I have to wonder if Yoshida would be able to do that as easily as Karo.

Plus you have to remember that in MMA, being world class is great, but many not quite at that level (or even close) can have CERTAIN TECHNIQUES that aren't enough to excel in that sport, but they can apply it perfectly for MMA. I think Tito Ortiz vs. Matyushenko is the perfect example. there's been other fights between two wrestlers or two kickboxers where the lesser skilled man in the common sport was able to totally dominate the other guy, because he could exploit those one or two techniques that wouldn't influence a wrestling or kickboxing match anywhere near as much. Hell, think about Ogawa vs. Fedor...you think Fedor's getting an armlock in a Judo match? or even getting a takedown/throw?

Karo is awesome at pulling off some very technical, painful, and intimidating throws in MMA, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him pull those off against a world class Judoka in MMA.

I hope that made sense. its late.