Keeping rank in judo.

I could be wrong, but wasn't there a kano quote somewhere that said something to the effect of advising kata practice maybe once every 70 or so practices, hehe? Doesn't sound like he emphasized it much.

No one is forcing Kata...But for those who have not trained Judo since they were 5,6, 7 years old and are in their 30s just starting judo Kata offers some opportunities (especially for women in their late 30s just starting judo). as long as it isn't forced i think its a good idea...Fukuda is a very interesting woman...

cheers

You don't know Josh very well do you? Softy don't sweat the Kata
thing it is just a matter of kata people dictating to fighters what
they will do for rank. It is more about who has died and left them
in charge of ranking fighters.

Kata has its place just not in judging a fighter - let the fighters
judge fighters.

David

dog,
where are you coaching out of? id love to stop by someday if i ever get the chance. =)

-resnick

dog,
what dojo are you coaching out of? id love to stop by or say hi or whatever if the opportunity ever comes my way.. =)

-resnick

Josh,

I was hoping to keep my anonymity for fear of saying something that would piss people off, but what the heck.

I am the head coach for the San Mateo PAL Judo Club. I would love to have you come down anytime. My club is a bit different than most in that we are focusing around at-risk youth in and around the Bay Area, much like Dave is doing. We don't have any senior active players, although we have a number of ex-elite players, Im talking like from the late seventies and early eighties.

I have been lucky enough to have recruited seven blackbelts to join in this effort. I have received some pretty big grants to spread the Judo Message. We have about 100+ students, although I have taught judo in some form to well over 600 in the last 5 years. In just the past three years, we have trained 5 National Champs (USJF Nationals).

This is why I need to go to Cahills for my actual workout. I used to compete against John Matsuoka and Albert from your club back in the eighties. John's like the energizer bunny.........LOL.

Dave's got my info.......Hi Dave!! Please get ahold of me if you're ever interested in sharing your knowledge with kids/teens/me that will at it up!!

Cheers............Mike

Let all the old girls keep promoting one another. Just think....Someday off in the future under nice sunny skies there will be an ultimate judo tourny. At that time we can see the higher the degree the crappier the fighter. But the down side to this is they will probably hold a Kata Comp. and then we will get all our asses kicked.