KnifeAttackVid-WhatWouldYouDo?

Invincible, stop playing video games. You can no longer seperate reality from fantasy.

PeterGBO I concur. I am fairly certain that if I got hold of his neck from behind, I would have killed him and taken my chances in court.

Curious why he only got 4 years. Seems extremely light.

If I'm unarmed, I'd like to believe I'd tackle the guy/pull him off of her/etc. but who knows. Never been in that severe of a situation, and I'm a LEO.

As far as the legal ramifications, I believe it would be fairly easy to justify any type of force to stop this attacker.  He was obviously hell bent on finishing this woman, and articulating your actions would be fairly simple, i.e. eliminating the threat to her/others/yourself.

As for those believing that there are plenty of people there and they should have bum rushed him, it's tough to do without a group plan in advance (although this is impossible in this situation). Common instinct doesn't tell us to grab the guy and others will follow. Most people will follow when someone else takes the lead. If no one takes the lead.....

well that was very very very disturbing. Wow I did not expect that. For starters if I was there I would have shot him because I have my concealed permit- and a .38 hollow point would be in him. If I didnt have my pistol I would have been scared I guess- I mean I dont want him to turn on me...I have kids and a wife. Once I saw that he wasnt attacking those dudes that were kicking him I would have knocked him out with a knee to the face I guess. I cant say I would have been the hero to run to her rescue empty handed not knowing if he was going to stab me.

"Invincible, stop playing video games. You can no longer seperate reality from fantasy."

I'm not a gamer but you might be right. lol

^lol

Blake, the fear is understandable. Would he turn on you ? Fair question/fear.

Seen a few people being stabbed over the last few years. At first you don't think your actually seeing it.

I think it comes down to if your one of those people who runs towards trouble helping or away from it.

Once someone brandishes a knife, I think it's safe to say anyone around them is at risk. It doesn't matter how well trained you are sometimes, freak things happen.

"Ideally for myself Id have a CCW and would fire a single point blank shot into the lower torso. This would hopefully seriously wound but not kill the guy to spare myself the potential baggage."

Helwig, I don't know who taught you your pistol course, but you NEVER shoot to wound.  You always shoot to stop the threat... ie: center mass.

Dead witnesses cannot testify.  When something goes down, you make sure there is one story, that's the right story, and that's YOUR story.

You shoot to wound, then they testify how they weren't going to do anything, they sue you, win, and you are hurting financially.  It happens all of the time, and even though they are huge assholes, they win in court.

If your referring to the bystanders...instead of throwing those kicks, they should have picked up a garbage can from the corner and cracked him over the head from behind.

No MMA..TMA..MA needed.

The scumbags attention is focused at the task at hand (as terrible a knife fighter that he is). Crack him over the head with da house of oscar the grouch..

My first reaction was to hit him with something like a baseball bat or some other good sized object in order to knock him off the woman and then keep hitting him.

Next, I thought of just rushing the guy if no weapon was available, tackling him and using the momentum to pull him off of her. Whereupon I'd hopefully be able to disarm him, choke him and/or stab him with his own weapon - repeatedly.

Finally, I thought of hoofing him right upside the head (field goal!) and then stomping his head into oblivion.

Helwig, I don't know who taught you your pistol course, but you NEVER shoot to wound. You always shoot to stop the threat... ie: center mass.

It obviously depends who trained you. Cops and military are usually taught now to empty their magazine center mass.

Nothing wrong with a double tap to the spine. Let the sub enjoy life from his chair. Your going to face a trial anyways now days if you get involved.

I agree shoot to kill- dead men dont talk. In this day and age you shoot someone even that piece of shit..say he lives... and he sues you.

Actually here in South Carolina anyway, I would have been within my legal rights to kill him because her life was in danger. I dont want to kill anyone by any means, but I would to defend someone who I thought was going to die.

We can all say what we want but I bet there arent too many of us who are going to empty handed attack this obvious maniac to save a woman we dont know. I wouldnt. sorry. I have 2 kids and a wife to think of.

a brick to the back of the head would have been an option.

HELWIG posted:  "A punch from Sam Pai would have killed him and possible her from the seismic blowback."

LOL @ seismic blowback!!

Kicks would be my first choice in that situation.

I remember many years ago one of my fellow Kenpo black belts got into it at Huntington Beach coming to the aid of a damsel in distress.  This guy was beating up his girlfriend on the beach and the black belt kicked him in the face with a roundhouse kick.  Problem resolved.

soccer kicks x 50

I would have called the cops but would not have intervened physically.

I would, in that particular situation.

And I might be cocky, but I'm 100% sure that I would have saved her with less effort quicker than the morons on that clip.

Soccer kicks would have been option #2. First I would have tried to find the nearest heavy object and caved his head in from behind.

definitely find something heavy and smash it off his head or spine

I'm not a fighter by any stretch of the imagination, but most likely I would have intervened in some way. My first option would have been to find something to hit him with. If that's not available, then I probably would try kicks so I wouldn't have to over commit and get involved in an empty handed fight against someone with a knife. If the kicks weren't effective, and I noticed that he wasn't paying attention to me, I probably would have taken my chances with RNC or some type of armbar from turtle against the knifehand.

It's situations like this why we need more liberal concealed carry laws.

Also, everyone saying this was plainly self defense. Keep in mind, noone knew this was being filmed. It comes down to your word vs. his word. People have killed their wives and gotten away with it.

link is down