Koshek fight was stopped way too early

that fight was 4 seconds away from being a late stoppage

Too fast. I understand why the ref stopped it but Kos was robbed of his chance to recover. Fight wasn't quite over yet.

"Josh Koscheck was not hurt.  He was not knocked down either.  He was seconds away from defeating the infidel Paulo Thiago, Allah willing."

I thought it was a hair early; Kos was dazed momentarily, but he wasn't taking punishment while dazed, and although the fight probably would have ended in a few seconds anyway, I don't think the ref should have pulled the plug before Paulo demonstrated that he was able to use the opportunity. I'm not sure if Herring-Nog was any worse, and look what happened there.

That being said, I can't fault the ref; he had to make a split second decision, and if he felt that the fight needed to be stopped during that fraction of a second, he did the right thing by stopping it.

Hood_Jitsu - that fight was 4 seconds away from being a late stoppage

I think he could have been given a bit more of a chance. He was still dazed but his legs and arms did take the defensive position as Thiago was coming it.

He could have taken another shot badly but at the pace Thiago was coming in and as Kos' legs were in defensive posture, he could have pushed off or taken guard if Thiago missed coming in.

I think is an arguement for both sides but we want CONCLUSIVE stoppages esp for a highly ranked fighter like Kos. This was not conclusive imo.

lol @ doctorbrodsky!!! You funny!!

One slow-motion replay clearly showed Kos' eyes rolling to the back of his head - the man was out..

Per another UG Member, same thing happens to new dude Thiago and we would not be having this discussion.

Kos brought his hands and legs up to defend from his back. Early stoppage.

Go vote on the poll if you haven't already.

I'm interested to see how many people thought it was stopped too early.

Haole - 
DarrenJG - "That's all totally irrelevant - the ONLY thing that matters in judging the stoppage is this - how was he the moment the ref stepped in?"

That's not true. You're simply wrong. A ref MUST factor in recovery and other factors.

hey dummy - a ref CAN'T factor in how long it takes a fighter to recover into wether he should stop the fight, because it doesn't occur until AFTER he stops the fight

Yeah, and I'm the dummy. You just set forth an idiotic rationale that empowers refs to immediately stop fights EVERY SINGLE time a guy gets a flash knockdown with full justification. Worse, you don't appear to even understand the language you used to grasp this.

Of course, EVERY ref should factor in recovery, which is what the vast majority do, which is also why knockdowns occur ALL THE TIME in MMA, yet for the most part, refs let the fights continue and allow the fighter to follow the downed fighter to the ground. Sometimes the fight gets finished at that point, other times the downed fighter recovers and fends of the attacker.

How many MMA fights are stopped IMMEDIATELY upon a knockdown without allowing even one more punch on the ground???

Answer: VERY, VERY few because good refs know from experience that guys often recover, particularly if they're in a state of mind to get in a defensive guard position on the ground.

By your rationale, refs should make a snap judgment of a guy at the split second he is knocked down, w/o factoring in context or easily determined expectations as to a guy's ability to recover from a flash knockdown.

Haole, flash knockdowns occur ALL THE TIME, and by your rationale ALL of them should be stopped b/c the guy TYPICALLY gets his bell rung and is momentarily out for a split second. This is why he falls as though out of control of his body for a split second.

I'm not talking about situations where a guy just falls to guard because they choose to. That's an idiotic straw man argument on your part. But guys get dropped just like Kos ALL THE TIME IN MMA, and the vast majority do NOT get instantly stopped without allowing a guy to defend or recover. This is a credit to the vast majority of refs in the sport who are not inclined to take your absurd position.

You are taking too extreme of a position, but seemingly aren't bright enough to understand or acknowledge this.

I see the point you guys are making, but it didn't appear that Kos was just knocked down, he looked like he was knocked OUT.

I for one was impressed that intelligent defense where he rose up a foot, completely stiff and with his hands out perpendicularly, then immediately collapsed again.

Don't tell me he was going into guard.

MrSmiff - "I don't see how you guys can say he was out..."

"2) His eyes were open"

you really just typed that!

Open but cross eyed

Good stoppage

Bullshit, his eyes were not rolled to the back of his head. I have this fight dvr'ed and i have gone over it 10 times already. He was concious. Shitty call.

Good Stoppage.

It looked like he had a chance to recover only because Paulo stoped after he looked at Kosh's face, but the truth is Kosh was out with the same defence a baby could provide one more pop and we would be cheering Kosh on at the Special Olympics 100 meter bronze run...Bitch all you want Kosh is lucky the ref and Paulo had mercy on him...

japetto - KOscheck went limp, that's for sure!

Just rewatched the KO and it's after this GIF where you can really tell he's out. When the Ref steps in Kos tries to get up and you can see in his face he has no idea whats going on and then when the ref is holding on to him he sits there for a few seconds with a blank stare before he comes to and realizes the fight was stopped. Good stoppage