Koshek fight was stopped way too early

Good stoppage.

I agree, Kos got dropped and just froze there. The days of Renzo/Oleg, where a guy is clearly out, and then gets blasted again so his head bounces off the canvas like a basketball, are over.

Props to the ref and props to Thiago. This was a good night for the UFC.

TH

"That's all totally irrelevant - the ONLY thing that matters in judging the stoppage is this - how was he the moment the ref stepped in?"

That's not true. You're simply wrong. A ref MUST factor in recovery and other factors.

By your definition, literally EVERY time a guy gets knocked down, the fight should immediately be stopped, because, by definition, at that specific moment, the guy is momentarily out of his wits.

Maybe that's your intention. I think that is a pathetic way to run MMA, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Can someone please please please make a gif (if it hasn't been done yet) of the last replay they show before they have Kos and Thiago in the middle to announce the winner (on the Sportsnet HD telecast right before the Harley logo comes on screen). Watch Kos when the ref is on him and Kos is turning to his left side, look at his eyes and face............He doesn't know where the fuck he is.

Good stoppage

^ Correct.

TH

ARfightfan -  for all intensive purposes

Arrrggghhh!!!!!

Sorry.

My head just exploded.

can't let a fight continue just because the guys head hitting the mat wakes him up.

I thought it was bullshit at first too, but after seeing it from the second angle he was definitely done. His eyes were gone and he was stiff as shit...... Thiago still should have followed up better to be sure though.

I dont think anyone is denying that he was out the split second he hit the floor. They are talking about the split second later when he clearly shows that he has regained his senses when he first tries to stand up but then lays back down in the guard position as Thiago approached him

Under this logic that fights should be stopped anytime someone is out even for a split second then every knockdown should be counted as an immediate KO.

The Eklund vs Dunham fight is the exact same scenario but a different response from the ref. Where is the consistency?

I don't see how you guys can say he was out...
1) He was clearly getting ready to defend himself from his back having both his head and hands up.
2) His eyes were open
3) He was completely coherent immediately after the stoppage

What's ridiculous is that you guys assume that because he was knocked down he was knocked out, which was definitely not the case. Not only early stoppage but it was way too early. Pretty soon fights are gonna get stopped when one person is taking a beating standing. Get ready for more pussification of MMA.

he was already sleeping before the left hook.

what the fuck do you want?
brain damage?

"I don't see how you guys can say he was out..."

"2) His eyes were open"

you really just typed that!

Great stoppage.

Koscheck was out and he was not intelligently defending myself. Thiago moved in but backed off when he saw Koscheck's eyes and knew he was out. The key thing to look out for is that Koscheck wasn't angling himself to create a defensive guard - Thiago was about to simply step over his legs. In the few seconds it took for Koscheck to get his senses back, he could have suffered a huge concussion.

Vs GSP, Fitch went down heavily but he was alert and reacting when GSP came in on him. Kos wasn't.

BTW did anyone else see the KO coming? I thought Rogan and Goldie were getting it wrong about Thiago's striking. He definitely had his hands low but he looked comfortable doing it. I got the impression he wasn't out of his element and was waiting to fire a big shot. I think Kos may very well wreck him in a rematch though.

"Koscheck was out and he was not intelligently defending myself."

LMAO. What do you mean he was not intelligently defending himself? He wasn't given the chance! He was in the guard position w/ arms and feet in proper position. It looked to me that he would have been able to. For you to conclude that he "was not" is absurd.

Eklund and Cobb were in worse shape after getting knocked down and they were both given a few seconds to see how much they had left. It's probable that Koscheck would have ended up like those other dudes, but I think he deserved the same chance they got.

Robin.

Haole - 
DarrenJG -  I believe it was VERY likely that Kos could have survived and IF he had survived, it was likely the outcome would have been different.

Kos only needed a few seconds to recover, as evidenced by how quickly he was back to normal after the stoppage
That's all totally irrelevant - the ONLY thing that matters in judging the stoppage is this - how was he the moment the ref stepped in?

Answer: his eyes were rolled to the back of his head and he was out completely

You, and this should be obvious, can't judge a stoppage based on how fast he recovered AFTER the stoppage, the only fair assesment is the fighters condition at the moment the ref moved in to take action.

Could have, would have, blah blah blah - all irrelevant. You can't expect a ref to make an assesment of what might happen after he steps in, the refs job is to step in based on the fighters current condition, not to consider what hypothetical scenario might play out if he doesn't step in.

great point

If you don't want a questionable stoppage don't get tagged, fall down and roll your eyes back in your head IMO.

What do some of you guys want? Brain damage?  I couldnt begin to imagine how hard it is to ref a fight but if the ref says its over its over.  All it is going to take is a handfull of fighters pissing their pants everytime they hear a doorbell to put MMA under monsterous scrutiny.  The media is absolutely going to pounce on it because there are way too many people that want to see MMA go back 20 years to the odd VHS tape in the blue section of the video store.

There are alot of what-ifs but regardless of the outcome of a split second decision on the refs part he was trying to protect Kos from injury and thats his job.  He did it well.

That is NOT a great point. Every single time anyone EVER gets knocked down from a punch, you can say it should immediately be stopped by your logic. By your thought process, by definition, they should be stopped b/c the fighter is clearly "out" for that moment in time, otherwise they wouldn't have fallen to the mat.

You actually WANT MMA to be stopped for knockdowns, which seems ridiculous to me.

Thiago didn't even follow Kos to the mat. He could tell Josh was out on the way down.

He could have jumped in and landed a couple more shots prompting a stoppage anyway.

"Thiago didn't even follow Kos to the mat."

Simply a rookie mistake. Kos got dazed by the punch, no more no less.