Kron speaks against Gracie University

UGCTT_Fillthy - AFAIK, their grandfather considered someone a blue belt who could successfully defend themselves in street fight against a bigger, stronger, more athletic attacker who didn't know jiu-jitsu.

I know they've been teaching the Combatives curriculum, and awarding blue belts for proficiency in it, for a long time...definitely when their grandfather was alive. I don't know if he explicitly endorsed the GU methodology for assessing competency, but that was my understanding. I'll definitely ask about it when I'm in LA next week. Regardless, it's universally accepted that their grandfather selected Rorion as the standard-bearer for his jiu-jitsu, and Rorion obviously endorses the GU system.
If you're affiliated with the Gracie Academy then follow their curriculum and promote according to their standards.

I think the Gracie Combatives are excellent and everyone should know those techniques regardless.

It doesn't matter if people knock Gracie University. If it fits a person's situation and they wanna do it, then do it. It's way better than having no BJJ at all. And if they get a belt in the mail, it's no ones business but their own. Phone Post 3.0

UGCTT_Fillthy - AFAIK, their grandfather considered someone a blue belt who could successfully defend themselves in street fight against a bigger, stronger, more athletic attacker who didn't know jiu-jitsu.

I know they've been teaching the Combatives curriculum, and awarding blue belts for proficiency in it, for a long time...definitely when their grandfather was alive. I don't know if he explicitly endorsed the GU methodology for assessing competency, but that was my understanding. I'll definitely ask about it when I'm in LA next week. Regardless, it's universally accepted that their grandfather selected Rorion as the standard-bearer for his jiu-jitsu, and Rorion obviously endorses the GU system.

.ryron and rener shuffeld helios techniques around.    ..the combatives curriculum was started jan 08.   1 month after the first seven of us got our black belts. dec. 07.....helio died 1 year later.  jan 09.    rorion is retired and ryron and rener are running the academy.    if ever rorion is on the mat teachinig a class i suggest you grab your gi and participate.   then decide if rorion teaches the combatives the new way with its variations  or the helio way.  

helios requirements were you know all of his 110 lessons.   40 ground moves 40 stand up self defence moves and 16 weapons defenses.   with these moves he assumed you could defend your self in any situation... these are the pure water techniques.  once you knew these moves you got your blue and moved on to the advanced jiujitsu program.

the new combatives teach 20 ground moves and 12 stand up self defense moves.    you get a blue belt and then move on to the rest of the 600 moves.    

for sure the new blue belt is not up to bjj community standards....but after 1 year in the master cycle and actually sparring it levels out.      as of today no on line purple belts have been handed out.....  thats 6 years of on line blue belts....still no on line purple belts.   

let me add one more thought.....in 1995 or 1996 the gracie academy changed their blue belt requirments to only 40 classes....as opposed to waiting 2 years for the blue......so giving the blue belt early is not new for the gracie academy.....

Markus Barrett - 
UGCTT_Fillthy - AFAIK, their grandfather considered someone a blue belt who could successfully defend themselves in street fight against a bigger, stronger, more athletic attacker who didn't know jiu-jitsu.

.ryron and rener shuffeld helios techniques around.    ..the combatives curriculum was started jan 08.   1 month after the first seven of us got our black belts. dec. 07.....helio died 1 year later.  jan 09.    rorion is retired and ryron and rener are running the academy.    if ever rorion is on the mat teachinig a class i suggest you grab your gi and participate.   then decide if rorion teaches the combatives the new way with its variations  or the helio way.  

helios requirements were you know all of his 110 lessons.   40 ground moves 40 stand up self defence moves and 16 weapons defenses.   with these moves he assumed you could defend your self in any situation... these are the pure water techniques.  once you knew these moves you got your blue and moved on to the advanced jiujitsu program.

the new combatives teach 20 ground moves and 12 stand up self defense moves.    you get a blue belt and then move on to the rest of the 600 moves.    

for sure the new blue belt is not up to bjj community standards....but after 1 year in the master cycle and actually sparring it levels out.      as of today no on line purple belts have been handed out.....  thats 6 years of on line blue belts....still no on line purple belts.   

Interesting post!