Learning to do backflips?

It may be difficult for a grown man to go into an gymnastics school and seek out training. 99% of the students are younger than highschool age, he may stick out like a sore thumb. One option may be privates but at those can be very costly.

One other thing to remember is that many gymnastic gyms employ people with little or no experience. If you are to take privates find out about the coach. One very well known gym in my area frequently runs ads in the paper (no experience neccessary). I would hate to pay them hard earned money when my money may be better spent elsewhere.

I know the basics and can and have taught them to people.

IBringTheDanger well yeah if you have 'some' agility and a good jump a standing back summy isn't much of a problem in a Gym with floor and mats imo. Just get a good spotter. If you weigh less then 80kg it will be easier and it will DFEINATLEY help if you can 'jump' well. If you got at least a 25inch vertical you should be able to do one. Explosive abs will help also.

" Surely it can’t all be about ‘fear’ agility and strength comes into it a hell of a lot?

Im going to give it a go! On hard ground too. :(

Wish me luck"

Good luck!

If you can do a one handed cartwheel I would say you have the agility to do so. BUT you need to be able to jump otherwise you will NEED TO LEARN how to rotate abacwards and have the form down. JUMP STRAIGHT UP and not THROW your head back as that will make for a greater distance you need to get your knees over your head!

Koing

well the vert thing is no prob since I have a 32 inch standing vert. also I can do a one handed cartweel and handstand I just don't want to learn in a gym. Were should I learn. I landed a backflip in snow once is that actualy safe or not.

Try front handspring then running front sault. These are easier because if you mess up you usually land on your ass rather than your face.

Then try back handspring with someone spotting you.

Then try back sault. As a kid I could not do a standing back sault. I learnt to do one with a run up. This is done via a round off. So round off is a good one to learn.

me and another forum member taught ourselves in about a half an hour or so. We just kept trying them on a crash mat and then i just walked out and did one without a mat. I could bust one out in my kitchen and everything. I havnt done one in months though so i wouldnt do that now.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/afroninja.html

You have got to see this!!!

What possible reason could you have for wanting to learn to do this?

If it's just for fun, well okay. But what are to practical advantages of doing back flips?

For fun and glory. Thanx for all the advice.

It impresses people :P

Shoes good power and flexbility but that your 'agile'.

Also you can learn to back flip and avoid punches AND kick people in the face :P

Koing

It impresses people :P

Shoes good power and flexbility but that your 'agile'.

Also you can learn to back flip and avoid punches AND kick people in the face :P

Koing

lol at for the fun and glory