Leben only made 1.4 mil his whole ufc career?

slo ko -
gokudamus - 
slo ko -

It's presumptious to stick firm on the $1.4 million career-earnings figure. But we already know that, right?

Let's pretend it was double that. A nice, comfy margin of error.

Even $2.8 million is subject to plenty of criticism if you follow the "athletes in other sports made so much more" line of thinking.

The sports that UFC is always compared to have been in business for up to 100 years or more (baseball and boxing). Those sports have had plenty of time to establish a business model and build a rock solid  fanbase in which generations have passed along their love for their team to their children.

By comparison, UFC was a start-up with loads of debt on the books, and a questionable future when Leben came along.

Do I need to remind everyone of how quickly we'd all rush back here to start a thread about how MMA was merely mentioned on Friends or some other mainstream entertainment outlet?

TUF 1 was sort of the UFC's all-in gamble, and the success has been credited with kickstarting the interest in MMA and subsequent TV deals to come.

The pioneers of the sport were not the guys who fought in November, 1993. They were the guys who fought from 1993 through 2006.

Why presumptuous? Wouldn't chris know? Phone Post 3.0

because this thread doesn't cite a source.

also, you've missed the entire point of my post if you stopped there.

I did cite the source. Chris leben. Phone Post 3.0

whooleeo - 
Rhasaan Orange Fan - He was in the UFC for 8 years.
That is 175K per year. How is that a bad salary to have for a mid level fighter?

Leben doesnt get to reitre at 65 like 99 percent of the population...

Brandon rios, the boxing equivalent of leben got 925k just to show in his last fight... i know i know, comparing boxing to mma is bs and what not. But really, its its not like rios is a monster draw... fact is 90 percent of ufc fighters are underpaid

Hate to beat a dead horse but.........

"fact is 90 percent of ufc fighters are underpaid"

How much does their contract say they will compete for? And how much less than that were they paid? Any example will do. Thanks.

Cindy

Everyone comparing this to NBA, MLB and NFL are missing out on one big thing.

They play several games per year and chris leben only fought 22 times for the ufc.

Chris Leben might have only made 1.4 million dollars but he only contibuted to ratings 22 times.

If guys were allowed to fight even 10ish times a year like they do in the NFL(i dont watch it not sure how many games they play) let alone 100+ games in other sports you'd actually see the pay would be pretty similar and might even exceed a lot of other major sports.

Yes I know Chris leben has to train for months before a fight but how is that the ufc's problem? They don't make any money while he is in training, they only make money when he fights.

Jamien604 - Everyone comparing this to NBA, MLB and NFL are missing out on one big thing.

They play several games per year and chris leben only fought 22 times for the ufc.

Chris Leben might have only made 1.4 million dollars but he only contibuted to ratings 22 times.

If guys were allowed to fight even 10ish times a year like they do in the NFL(i dont watch it not sure how many games they play) let alone 100+ games in other sports you'd actually see the pay would be pretty similar and might even exceed a lot of other major sports.

Yes I know Chris leben has to train for months before a fight but how is that the ufc's problem? They don't make any money while he is in training, they only make money when he fights.
That's incorrect to say he only had an effect on ratings 22 times. He was arguably the biggest star of that season that turned the ufc from a black hole to a multi billion dollar company. Phone Post 3.0

175K per year - 20% mgmnt, - 45% uncle sam

when you do the math it isn't a ton of $ month to month
for getting hit in the dome

CindyO -
whooleeo - 
That is 175K per year. How is that a bad salary to have for a mid level fighter?

Brandon rios, the boxing equivalent of leben got 925k just to show in his last fight... i know i know, comparing boxing to mma is bs and what not. But really, its its not like rios is a monster draw... fact is 90 percent of ufc fighters are underpaid

How much does their contract say they will compete for? And how much less than that were they paid? Any example will do. Thanks.

Cindy

Funny you bring it up. The contracts are so one sided and what happens when you fight to make the contract somewhat favorable for yourself? Your boy dana the hatchetman comes outto break down the credibility and leverage of the fighter. Phone Post 3.0

gokudamus - 
Jamien604 - Everyone comparing this to NBA, MLB and NFL are missing out on one big thing.

That's incorrect to say he only had an effect on ratings 22 times. He was arguably the biggest star of that season that turned the ufc from a black hole to a multi billion dollar company. Phone Post 3.0

But thats been the case in a lot of reality shows. People become superstars and make nothing or next to nothing from the show. It's their responsibility to capitalize on the fame with a good agent and get money for sponsorships/advertising and paid interviews/appearances etc etc etc.

CerronePoundsOnMeStrong - 
Pat Giles - Is that not a lot? I remember in high school one of my math teachers said he had just made a million dollars from teaching, he had been there over 30 years. I guess I'm missing the point. Phone Post 3.0
It doesn't matter if it seems like a lot to you or I. When you compare his earnings to other professional athletes both inside and outside of MMA, his pay is extremely low. He headlined PPV's and was featured on national TV and fought for the UFC for nearly a decade. Phone Post 3.0

Had he not been suspended a couple of times for using banned substances that figure would be higher and the time it took him to make it would be less, no? And losing... you don't advance to the next pay bracket if you lose. But pooooooor Leben:(

Cindy

12SixElbow - nearly 200k a year that you know about

For a guy with multiple arrests, DUI's, drug problems, steroid use, etc.... That ain't so bad.

Son, this is the UG. Your common sense and facts have no place here.

Cindy

Solly97 - 
Rhasaan Orange Fan - He was in the UFC for 8 years.
not only mid level but a highly inconsistent fighter Phone Post 3.0

This is where UFC like to chop and change on what matters.

In the past it was all about being the best then they started to admit that numbers get you paid, well Leben was one of the guys that had a big fanbase his while UFC career, he was in the main event of multiple shows and for sure sold a ton of tickets and PPVs, 175k a year seems like fuck all to me.

Mike Morris - 
Pat Giles - Is that not a lot? I remember in high school one of my math teachers said he had just made a million dollars from teaching, he had been there over 30 years. I guess I'm missing the point. Phone Post 3.0
There's thousands of math teachers, and they don't get beat up. There's one Chris Leban. And he was a crowd pleaser, sold a fuck load of tickets and went toe to toe with the toughest guys out there. He deserved a couple million. Phone Post 3.0

But should he have had to earn it like everyone else by not getting suspended or fined for using PEDS or should they have just given him millions anyway just because Leben is so awesome?

Should he have had to actually win in order to advance to the next pay bracket in his contract like eveyone else or should they have just paid him anyway because he's a cool dude?

Chris is 1-5 since 2011, dropping his last 4 consecutive fights... buuuuut he deserved millions more? Yeahhhhh.

Cindy

<Puts on UFC shill hat>....If not for the UFC building the sport he wouldn't have made that much in the fighting profession. But yeah UFC doesn't share spoils evenly at all, and no doubt Danna and the Fertitta's are greedy fucks!

HYBRID JON - Only 1.4 mil??? And to think, his life was moving in such a positive direction before TUF... God damn you ZUFFA...

LOL! This!

Cindy

Leben Phone Post

I dont know how you sleep at night, Cindy.  Honestly.  The fact that the livelyhood of the fighters means so little to you, because you're so hell bent on defending the bald one, is truly disturbing.  Go ask Dana if he would trade places with Leben for 8 years, for $1,4 million.

RyannVonDoom - 
CindyO -
whooleeo - 

Cindy

Funny you bring it up. The contracts are so one sided and what happens when you fight to make the contract somewhat favorable for yourself? Your boy dana the hatchetman comes outto break down the credibility and leverage of the fighter. Phone Post 3.0

Waaaah, they're soooo mean! Yet Leben continued to sign those one-sided contracts instead of going elsewhere. Why is that?

Cindy

CindyO -
RyannVonDoom - 
CindyO -
whooleeo - 

Cindy

Waaaah, they're soooo mean! Yet Leben continued to sign those one-sided contracts instead of going elsewhere. Why is that?

Cindy

If you're a fighter, what are you supposed to do? The ufc has the stranglehold over the entire landscape. Easy for you and your boys to act like fat cats and treat the fighters poorly. If you keep shitting on the fighters, you wont like the outcome. Phone Post 3.0

CindyO - 
whooleeo - 

Cindy

Soo, just because someone agrees to fight for said amount, they aren't underpaid? I means sure you could use the argument that hey they agreed to it this and that but that doesn't change the fact that the overwhelming majority of ufc fighters get paid jack shit.

there are millions of people all around the world to agree to work for a said amount but that doesn't mean they are underpaid?

amount of money fighters bring in for the ufc, and the amount pays in return is insane. wasn't it said that ufc was worth 1.5 billion? didn't dana hint at 3 b? how do you justify 8k?

maybe that's why a lot of ufc talent doesn't look world class... because they have to hold down a full time job...

the only way things will start changing is if there is more REAL competition in mma... that being said, im going to contribute to as many bellator and one fc cards as I can. but opinions are opinions :)

I Wild Each It - 

I dont know how you sleep at night, Cindy.  Honestly.  The fact that the livelyhood of the fighters means so little to you, because you're so hell bent on defending the bald one, is truly disturbing.  Go ask Dana if he would trade places with Leben for 8 years, for $1,4 million.

I really don't give a shit how much anyone makes. If they sign the contract they are agreeing to said amount so to whine about it later is silly. Post an example where they underpaid that amount and we'll have something to debate, mkay?

Cindy