Lennox Lewis

An OGer already said he is overrated. Obviously we would both disagree with that but I have seen this said often for various reasons.

I assume it was a salty Tyson fan boy. If so, nothing they say should be taken seriously.

1 Like

He was a tough retard and provided some of the most unintentionally hilarious moments during Showtime boxing broadcasts until they fired his alcoholic ass.

1 Like

I would have a wish to see prime Lewis versus prime Holmes

1 Like

Lewis right hand would be the difference

I recall him having a bare knuckle fight against some young black guy that was pretty cool

And when I call Bobby a retard, I mean it in the colloquial sense. He’s a member of MENSA. Don’t believe me, just ask him, lol

I guess I missed that one

I thought you were a big wig in Mensa, oh shit sorry I mean NAMBLA

https://youtu.be/RmSeh-f5s

I look nothing like an old fat Brando.

1 Like

Holmes by decision. The real winner would be those who appreciate a great jab.

That would have been such an awesome matchup. Lewis had a three inch reach advantage so Holmes might have had some trouble landing his jab.

That’s how I would see it. A Holmes jab fest and having to watch out for the Lewis right hand. But it wouldn’t surprise me if Lewis went with a bunch of jabs that were affective. He did have that skill as well

Tyson yes, but I think ranking him over Holyfield is debatable… For a ballooned up cruiserweight Holyfield was an amazing fighter with wins over some great fighters (we’ll ignore how dirty he was). And at 37 when they first fought Lewis, he was already long in the tooth by HW standards.

Still, I get what OP is saying. Lewis is remembered by most fans as a boring fighter who essentially fought behind the 1-2 combination while tying up his opponents when they got on the inside his entire career after hooking up with Emanuel Stewart. I would largely count myself in that group. However I’ve recently rewatched a few of his fights and in retrospect it isn’t entirely fair.

I would also argue that he was among the first of the really big HW who were plodding beasts with little footwork and no personality.

I am a boxing fan, and sometimes frequent boxing forums and so on.

I have found a change over the years.

There used to be, at the time, a slight negative view of Lewis’s skills and accomplishments. Yet as the years have gone on, he has become more and more appreciated, to the point now where he is regarded as a Legend.

I think the negative view maybe because Americans where mostly rooting against Lewis. In the Holyfield fights, in the Tyson fights, Tommy Morrison, all fights were people were fully for the other guy, and against Lennox.

He had so many great exciting fights - Bruno, Shannon Briggs, Mike Tyson, Ruddock, Golota, Mercer, Tua, Vitali and so on.

Was he flawless? No. But he was great!

You might enjoy this video. Rummy, of Rummy’s Corner picks out Lewis’ top five wins, and discusses his other fights.

1 Like

Legend, one of the best of all time.

He was a great fighter. Wish he had bigger fights in his prime.

Do you think he could beat Holmes and Foreman? I think all the legends get to his glass jaw

One thing about Lennox that gets overlooked is he often fought guys whose ‘stock’ was very high at the time.

Golota, Grant, Tua, Briggs were all very highly thought of when Lennox fought them.

Golota for example, was 28-0 and beating Bowe before his insanity caused him to repeatedly hit low, and get disqualified, in two back to back fights.

So he went into Lennox fight 28-2 and Lennox knocked him out.

lol - Golota was the best.