Lennox Lewis

very under rated IMO

Wow - wrong on both accounts. Almost undefeated Holmes was a great fighter, too bad he underestimated michael spinks. Lewis had a lot of great wins. Not much a boxing fan

Larry fought in a weird era where he had no rivals…which was a shame…he was so good

We look back at Lennox with rode tinted glasses but when he was top dog he was seen as a terribly boring fighter.

And I think he’s a top 5…maybe 3 HW of all time

2 Likes

You are right he did have that reputation, amongst Americans, but not elsewhere. It was a totally undeserved reputation. The Holyfield fights were a struggle, but his other fights were fantastic.

1 Like

Yeah…those Holyfield fights didn’t do him any favors…didn’t a judge get exposed for corruption after the 1st fight…he handily beat Evander…kinda left a bad taste in everyone’s mouth how he left…Vitali was whooping his ass before they called it due to that grand canyon on Vitalis eyebrow

1 Like

Agreed about Vitali. He was probably 4-2 up at the timing of TKO 6.

I remember between rounds…might have been Stich…tried to clean it up with with Q-tip and it just disappeared into his eyebrow…was thinking shit…no way this will continue

1 Like

lol - i vaguely remember something like that.

Just grabbed the photos. He may have actually had up to 5 cuts.

Could be wrong…but wasn’t the cut opened by the lacing and the tape on the wrist?

1 Like

Shit…didn’t remember the cheek cut

I cant remember. Maybe I will watch it later.

This makes me want to start a thread…stay tuned

1 Like

Lewis is highly skilled and one of the best ever. I’m not sure he beats a prime Tyson or Holyfield but he had the size and power to be a nasty matchup for anyone but these two fighters were nothing like their peaks. Holyfield still had some mileage but Tyson wasn’t even remotely a peak Tyson when he himself fought Holyfield let alone the joke of a fight Vs Lewis. Prison ended Tyson.

He definitely is a top ten all time HW though and is rated so by almost everyone. The reason he didn’t get the same amount of respect as others is because he wasn’t American and barely was seen as British due to his accent and time abroad.

1 Like

I always find the ‘wouldn’t beat a Prime’ to be a somewhat unfair argument.

I do get the point. The guys peak at different times, and they are better or worse at different points.

However, it does seem a bit unfair too. If people just protect a guys best period, in some sense he can never lose, or be found out.

When they fought, Lennox was 34 and Tyson 33. Lewis was 39-2-1 plus an Olympic Gold Medal. Tyson was 49-3, only losing to Buster and Evander.

Holyfield beat Tyson in 1996, and Lennox beat Holyfield in 1999. When they fought Lennox was 31 and Holyfield was 35.

They are legitimate wins in my view.

Holmes was a lot faster on his prime and would take a decision on most nights in their prime. This is great fighters going at it so any outcome would be possible.

Gtfo. Lewis easily won the first match with Holyfield and the incompetent judges scored it a draw. Fight wasn’t close. 2nd fight was closer but a clear cut division for Lewis. Holyfield couldn’t use his bullshit headbutts and struggled. Dirty ass fighter.

No doubt this is a sensitive faggot Tyson dickrider

Says the sensitive Holyfield dick rider. Not that big of a Tyson fan. He head butted moore, foreman, and bowe multiple times. Face it he’s a dirty ass fighter who roided.

Maybe you can add some context to justify your position a little better.

Who are heavyweight boxers you rank higher than Lewis?

All time?
and
After 1980?