Let's not act like Overeem

It’s weird watching him fight because he’s capable of winning/losing any fight at any moment. If it weren’t for the chin, he’d probably be the heavyweight John Jones. I, too, think he should start utilizing his ground game more.

His skillsets were never in question. Just his chin. All of this remains the same. It was good to see him recover this time, for sure.

He’s an all-time great.

He is not, however, a heavyweight GOAT contender. There is no argument for Reem over Fedor.

I saw yes he is, who esle has the resume he has? Been a world champ in almost all orgs hes been in and in diffrent sports too

HokutoShinken -

It’s weird watching him fight because he’s capable of winning/losing any fight at any moment. If it weren’t for the chin, he’d probably be the heavyweight John Jones. I, too, think he should start utilizing his ground game more.

I don't even think it's his chin, his standup defense is just bad. Its the part of his game that hasn't adjusted to his diminishing speed. He keeps his hands super open and basically only tries to slip, yet time and time again he gets caught doing that. The shots he gets dropped by would put pretty much anyone on there asses, it's not like he's getting KOed by jabs.

In K1 he had the sense to fight with a high guard and it was super hard to penetrate (beep) his defenses. Admittedly the big gloves helped a lot but there has to be a better defensive strategy for him to implement in MMA.

His skillset is amazing but he's not quick enough to evade and since it's heavyweight everyone throws massive haymakers that can end the fight at any time.

46and2 -

He's a great fighter.  His chin and gameplan has failed him at times but IMO he has the ability to beat everyone who has taken him out.  

Shogun

Tug Dabone -

I get it that he's been KO'd a number of times. But take a look at the level of competition he's faced in the last decade. Almost all of his opponents have been top-tier guys. I understand why some might say he's gotten a bit chinny, but he's been in there with huge men and he's never been shy about mixing it up. Anyone could have been caught in those fights.

Plus, look back 13 and 14 years ago when he was also getting stopped early in fights (4 losses by finish in 5 fights). After Kharitonov in 2007, he went 4 years without a loss and only went past the 1st round twice in that span.

HOFer, no question about it.

He is chinny.  And the HW division isn’t one where you can be chinny.

if he just had a better chin I think he would be the HW goat.  His skill set is there 

EKPOGI -
46and2 -

He's a great fighter.  His chin and gameplan has failed him at times but IMO he has the ability to beat everyone who has taken him out.  

Shogun

Shogun then? No.  Shogun now?  Yes.

Overeem is justifiably a popular fighter. Barring a couple of snoozefests his fights can always end at any time and there is nobody he faces where he can't feasibly win. Definitely one of the greats and a great list of wins on his record over a ridiculously long time. Great striker and can respectably  hang on the ground with the likes of Werdum. 

Durability has always been a question mark but that in some way only adds to the excitement. That knee on Fujita is probably one of the hardest hits in any fight ever.

Booby Hoffman knocked him the fuck out. 

Only 2 people have beaten him from start to finish in the UFC and that was Ngannou and Blaydes.

He has found a way to lose fights in which he was either dominating or clearly winning. Browne, Bigfoot, and Bigi Boy are fights he was cleary dominating and then he gasses only to get brutally finished. He was winning the stand up against Rothwell and gets caught with an overhand. He dropped Stipe and jumps for a guillotine. It is frustrating to see him pull a defeat out of the jaw's of victory many times but it makes for great fights.

SkinnyJeanGenie -

He’s a machine.

Almost all of his UFC losses he’s been dominating the fight until he’s been caught....his chin held up well tonight too.

Would love him to get another title shot 

I did not see the Rozenstruik fight, was Reem winning that one before the finish? If so, true heartbreaker

Eisenberg - 
HokutoShinken -

I don't even think it's his chin, his standup defense is just bad. Its the part of his game that hasn't adjusted to his diminishing speed. He keeps his hands super open and basically only tries to slip, yet time and time again he gets caught doing that. The shots he gets dropped by would put pretty much anyone on there asses, it's not like he's getting KOed by jabs.

In K1 he had the sense to fight with a high guard and it was super hard to penetrate (beep) his defenses. Admittedly the big gloves helped a lot but there has to be a better defensive strategy for him to implement in MMA.

His skillset is amazing but he's not quick enough to evade and since it's heavyweight everyone throws massive haymakers that can end the fight at any time.

I agree that a huge issue is his defense.

Otis the Drunk -
SkinnyJeanGenie -

He’s a machine.

Almost all of his UFC losses he’s been dominating the fight until he’s been caught....his chin held up well tonight too.

I did not see the Rozenstruik fight, was Reem winning that one before the finish? If so, true heartbreaker

He won every round and got knocked out with like 1 second left.

1 Like

True, but he was winning mostly with pitty pat punches and moving away. I’m not sure he could get away with that and conserve his energy against the top very active, aggressive and also strong guys. Brock’s doctor said he was maybe 50%. No doubt he’s an all around great though.

Otis the Drunk -
SkinnyJeanGenie -

He’s a machine.

Out him the whole time.

1 Like
Herring in a Fur Coat - Legend, yes. GOAT contender not even close. At no point in his career was he the undisputed #1 HW in MMA, or even in any of the orgs he fought in. Longevity doesn't make you the greatest... Arlovski has about as much of a claim to HW GOAT than Reem.

Who was better than Reem at HW in the UFC when he finished Brock?

MayorPirkle - 
Herring in a Fur Coat - Legend, yes. GOAT contender not even close. At no point in his career was he the undisputed #1 HW in MMA, or even in any of the orgs he fought in. Longevity doesn't make you the greatest... Arlovski has about as much of a claim to HW GOAT than Reem.

Potentially Cormier, although he hadn’t had his coming out party, yet. Potentially Cain and JDS. He surely was not the undisputed number one HW in the world.

And that is all without mentioning that he was a lab experiment at that time.

wiggum - 
MayorPirkle - 

Potentially Cormier, although he hadn’t had his coming out party, yet. Potentially Cain and JDS. He surely was not the undisputed number one HW in the world.

And that is all without mentioning that he was a lab experiment at that time.

Misread when you said “in the UFC.” Cormier was not yet in the UFC.

But Cain and JDS were both arguably better than Ubereem at that time.

Eisenberg -
HokutoShinken -

He was also doing an insane amount of roids and had 40lbs of extra lean mass on him.