Let's talk about Masters Worlds

HotSteppa - Personally, compared to most sports, 30 is simply too young for Masters' divisions nowadays. I think, at minimum, it should be pushed to 35 or more realistically, 40 years of age.
This is a good point. I think looking masters 1 it's as hard almost to win as adults specially if people could train as much as they can in their 20s. Even 35 which earlier has been sort of "senior" division isn't end of world anymore.

I think this is partly due people who have limited amount of training time available have better resources nowadays and can focus important things like mobility and recovery which still 15 years ago weren't considered so important. Phone Post 3.0

elitecmbt - 
ChippewaBJJ - Master 1 brown belt lightweight champion and 2nd place absolute checking in :)

The rest of Caique Jiu Jitsu represented as well. Master 3 brown belt lightweight Gary Pipia took 2nd, Master 3 blue belt Kevin Hebert took 1st, and Master 5 female blue belt Pat Smith took 1st and also 2nd place absolute.

Awesome Justin! I always try to watch your matches at the local tournaments. You deserved this.

Thanks! I'll of course be competing in our Michigan Open two weeks from now, hope to see you there.

ChippewaBJJ - Master 1 brown belt lightweight champion and 2nd place absolute checking in :)

The rest of Caique Jiu Jitsu represented as well. Master 3 brown belt lightweight Gary Pipia took 2nd, Master 3 blue belt Kevin Hebert took 1st, and Master 5 female blue belt Pat Smith took 1st and also 2nd place absolute.

Justin, I didn't know this was you! Good catching back up with you again. Great job this weekend

HotSteppa - Personally, compared to most sports, 30 is simply too young for Masters' divisions nowadays. I think, at minimum, it should be pushed to 35 or more realistically, 40 years of age.

I agree 100%.  The argument is that people in their early 30s are more likely to have jobs and other responsibilities so they can't train as much as the <30 guys, but I feel that is a cheap response.  I'm 30 and I don't feel like I'm weaker, slower or have worse cardio, maybe recover slower but don't feel like I'm physically declining yet.

It really annoys me when guys are 29 but based on their birthdate can sign up for the masters division.  C'mon guys medals aren't that big of a deal. Go test yourself.

EDIT: going to add that I'm okay with guys who are 30 doing this Masters only tournament, my gripe is with guys who chose masters over adult because they think they have more of a chance to medal.

Michael Piekarski - 
HotSteppa - Personally, compared to most sports, 30 is simply too young for Masters' divisions nowadays. I think, at minimum, it should be pushed to 35 or more realistically, 40 years of age.

I agree 100%.  The argument is that people in their early 30s are more likely to have jobs and other responsibilities so they can't train as much as the <30 guys, but I feel that is a cheap response.  I'm 30 and I don't feel like I'm weaker, slower or have worse cardio, maybe recover slower but don't feel like I'm physically declining yet.

It really annoys me when guys are 29 but based on their birthdate can sign up for the masters division.  C'mon guys medals aren't that big of a deal. Go test yourself.

EDIT: going to add that I'm okay with guys who are 30 doing this Masters only tournament, my gripe is with guys who chose masters over adult because they think they have more of a chance to medal.

I agree. But I think the bigger issue is that a 30 yr. old bosy generally isn't the same as a 45 yr. old (of course this depends on genetics, injuries, conditioning, etc.) but make Masters for people (40 and up) need an arena to perform with people with similar situations and needs.

I knew someone who ran a rec. soccer programs for older adults. In the end, to make more $$ and increase enrolment, they reduced the age to 30. It became something entirely different then the original aim, and became almost indistinguishable from everything else. Of course, a lot more youthful "attitude" appeared as well.

TTT