Long arms=poor bench press?

Me and my friend were having this arguement on wether or not having long arms makes it harder to bench. I am 6'2 and weigh 195 lbs and it took me a whole year to be able to bench my weight! I have pretty long arms and I think it does affect it someway.

Me and my friend were having this arguement on wether or not having long arms makes it harder to bench.

No argument. Having short arms gives a structural advantage when bench pressing. Having long arms gives a structural advantage when deadlifting.

You know man your right. I do have a good deadlift and squat. It sucks about the bench though, guess I'll never be a powerlifter. :( lol

Widen your grip, but anatomy wise you are at a disadvantage.

I've tried widening my grip on the bench and for some reason it just feels really weird. It like puts too much stress on my wrists or something.

It's simple.

Long arms = bigger ROM (Range of Motion).

Short arms = smaller ROM.

Why do you think most of the successful powerlifters/Oly lifters are short asses?

It's easier to lift a heavy weight through a smaller ROM.

Baz

Baz is correct. I am the exact same size as you, Dashooter, and have known from years I won't be able to bench as much as some of my shorter buddies. But I am up to a respectable 220 for 8 reps, and I do get more pussy than the shorter guys ;).

"Baz is correct. I am the exact same size as you, Dashooter, and have known from years I won't be able to bench as much as some of my shorter buddies. But I am up to a respectable 220 for 8 reps, and I do get more pussy than the shorter guys ;)."

lol so do I and my friends.

i'm 6'3 and have never been able to do more than 245 max

I'm 9ft 6" and I bench around 2000lbs. But that's only when I use my necromancers strength potion.

This is the dungeons and dragons forum isn't it?

wow 2000lbs! Nice job dude, so what planet are you from?

I've always been weaker at bench. My best ever was 300lbs at 6'1 200lbs. Squats are still, and always will be my worst exercise. It hurts to squat to parallel, even with just the bar. I just suck in that range of motion.

I've always thought that I've been at a "structural disadvantage" when its come to putting up bigger weight squatting and benching.

I've only recently started to train for strength and not for sore.

"Samual Magnusson has a 76in span and benches 600lbs."

He also weighs 150KGs though...

"He also weighs 150KGs though..."

Right. He's one thick mofo which shortens the ROM. Also he's probably more naturally gifted at sttrength events than your average guy...

who the fuck is Samual Magnusson??

Any part of your structure that reduces the ROM is a structural advantage. In the dead, it's not just long arms, but also short legs that helps.

For the bench, short arms help, but a few of the best benchers in the world are not short guys. A thick chest cavity can reduce the destance too, as well as a good lifters arch. Although i have a narrow chest cavity and long arms, with a good arch i can cut the ROM almost in half.

That's the equilizer for guys like me.

-doug-

Isnt arching your back cheating?

Isnt arching your back cheating?

In a contest? No. As long as your shoulder blades and ass remain in contact with the bench and your feet remain in contact with the floor or platform.