Lord of the Flies

Was I the only one impressed & surprised by Diaz's reference to Lord of the Flies? Not only has he clearly read and retained the story, but he also drew a very astute parallel between the book and the rapidly deteriorating house environment.

I know they make kids read the book in high school, but I know guys who graduated college and still couldn't have drawn that comparison.

Surprised? Shocked to shit is more like it.

Thank you!!

I mean, not that Diaz is a stupid guy, but he and his brother tend to come across as guys that grew up fighting and getting into trouble, not digesting classic literature

Haha! I thought the same thing. Good for Nate! Next episode Manny
makes a reference to "The Sun Also Rises" and Lauzon performs the "alas
poor Yorick" soliloquey from Hamlet.

It impressed me, but I figure he may have gotten the reference from the movie.

LOL. Most people know the movie, not the book

There was a movie?

Yep.

www.imdb.com

Actually they made two, there's a black and white one (least I think it was black and white) as well as the more recent one.

I felt like a dick, but yeah, i was surprised when he said that.

I was both surprised and impressed as hell - would be cool if all TUF members could operate on that level of thought. Even if he?d only seen the movie the fact that he drew the parallel was impressive.

he saw the movie w/balthazar getty

and piggy

I was suprised he knew what a book was.

lol

cmon DB

"Was I the only one impressed & surprised by Diaz's reference to Lord of the Flies?"

Nope.

Dude, it's Lord of the Flies. That book in softcover is like 120 pages long. That's not exactly a difficult read either.

IMO Lord of the Flies on the scale of simplicity is somewhere between "See Spot Run" and "Harriet the Spy"... BFD. It makes "To Kill A Mockingbird" seem like a Charles Dickens novel.

...probably read the Coles notes version,lol.

But it is still impressive, especially considering the generally low level of discussions on the show.

"But it is still impressive, especially considering the generally low level of discussions on the show. "

You never know, it could just be the editing. They sit around that house for six weeks and have nothing to do. I'm sure that (while they were on the show) more than one of them questioned the meaning of life or something and gathered his other housemates around to talk about it. They probably drank green tea, burned candles, lit incense, and took turns crying but you know Dana cut that shit out because he wants them all to look like badasses... hence the crappy rock song during the show's opening title montage.

You're not expecting much of these guys it seems.