Lost some respect for Jordan Breen.

Firstly, I would like to say that Jordan Breen is the best journalist in MMA right now. He will be looked back upon as a pioneer in giving fans in-depth, rational and factual technical analysis of fights and fighters. His opinion is well researched and thoughtful, and he provides a professional discourse of the sport that few others are able to give. His radio show is the best MMA show by far, and his articles are also top notch. He has a good understanding of the mechanics of fighting, as well as the promotional business aspect of it. As far as punditry in this sport goes, I hope that others catch up in the coming years because he is unfortunately a rare breed.

However, his opinion on steroids in sports is unfathomable given that he is evidently somewhat of an intelligent individual. His ludicrous stance on the subject can be best demonstrated by the following quote from his most recent radio show:

"Quite frankly I think that steroids are the ultimate deceit and trickery of our current society, in that the idea that they are horrible and evil and should be outlawed is just absolutely pathetic. And so I don't care whenever MMA fighters get tested for steroids and get popped. My thoughts are always, 'That was kind of silly, you probably should've masked, dude'.

He says that at about the 2 hour 20 min mark:

http://www.sherdog.com/radio/Jordan-Breen-Show-Stacked-Panel-1170

This isn't the first time he's expressed this opinion. I'm bothered by this because probably the best journalist in MMA has no problem with the use of steroids in sport, as long as people don't get caught. What kind of reasoning is that? So therefore presumably he would be content if we woke up tomorrow in a world where athletes were allowed to use whatever form of performance enhancer they wished, and no-one would ever say anything because at least they got to watch their favourite sportsmen on TV every weekend? And the media are idiots for kicking off about it and making a big fuss about people's attempts to cheat because it makes for boring news reporting?

I guess Jordan Breen doesn't believe in an even playing field. Unless that playing field is irrigated with Drostanolone. Being four years his elder, I can only hope that with age and further development into manhood, young Master Breen acquires a vital respect for integrity. I hope he learns to appreciate the notion of 'playing by the rules'. And that those rules are there for a reason, not just to be a nuisance. And that the whole point of being a sports fan is to take enjoyment from watching talented players and fighters excel using their natural abilities, heightened by their own hard work and intelligence. Not by sticking needles in their arses.

ugh. two agreements on separate subjects in two days? time for me to re-evaluate things.

but lol @ jordan breen being the best journalist in mma. dude has always been a joke.

For a journalist to say something like that, that's embarrassing. 

so he should be showing disproportionate faux-outrage and being a pie in the sky fairy about cleaning it up or what?

sounds like he's one of the few journalists who actually studied up on performance enhancers and steroids rather than spouting off the usual negative rhetoric regarding their usage.

i think breen is just being realistic. he accepts that gear is part of the sport, because it IS. i think his comment is more along the lines that it is just stupid to get caught doing it these days. I am against steroids, but i am also against testing for recreational drugs..... so that leaves me in a situation where it is hard to make a solid arguement (in an actual debate & not a ug screaming match).

overall breen does a decent job. his youth (lack of maturity) shows at times, and he has gotten a bit full of himself lately, but overall I agree w/the OP in saying that he does a more professional job then most in the young field of "mma journalism" 

dunchurrn - so he should be showing disproportionate faux-outrage and being a pie in the sky fairy about cleaning it up or what?

No-one needs to be showing disproportionate outrage, it's not like its something I lose sleep over. I also don't think you need to be an expert in the field of anabolic steroids to have an opinion about it because it can be filed under the simple summation: either you have a problem with people cheating or you don't. I guess some people don't.

Good point Jimmerson. Jordans breaks down fights pretty well and can make alot of decent points. Hes a little less pompous these days too, which is a plus. His voice is still really annoying though..

The Notorious OMG - ugh. two agreements on separate subjects in two days? time for me to re-evaluate things.

but lol @ jordan breen being the best journalist in mma. dude has always been a joke.

Have no fear, we can soon forget this unfortunate 48-hour period and normal service will be resumed.

falsecrack - sounds like he's one of the few journalists who actually studied up on performance enhancers and steroids rather than spouting off the usual negative rhetoric regarding their usage.

This.

Everyone that thinks the steroid issue is just completely black and white should watch the documentary Bigger Faster Stronger for some perspective.

falsecrack - sounds like he's one of the few journalists who actually studied up on performance enhancers and steroids rather than spouting off the usual negative rhetoric regarding their usage.

This.

The Notorious OMG - ugh. two agreements on separate subjects in two days? time for me to re-evaluate things.

whos better in your opinion...in terms of fight breakdown and analysis?

"I guess Jordan Breen doesn't believe in an even playing field."

There's no such thing as an even playing field and never can be. What difference does it make to you if athlete A has an insurmountable advantage due to genetics or if athlete B has an insurmountable advantage due to drugs? (Of course this hypothetical ignores the fact that everyone can do the same drugs if they want, and the advantage drugs provide would be way less than that of genetics anyway).

i like when athletes juice... it brings out the best in them

if it was up to me you could use any substance you want, youd be tested and the tests would be public... let the chips fall where they may as far as sponsorships etc

Breen is cool with me. I don't always agree with him and he really isn't a hard journalist. He mostly posts op-ed pieces, and beyond his breakdowns and predictions(which are pretty good taken on the whole) his radio show is mostly him musing with a overflowing of personality.

He's hit or miss with interviews. If he has good chemistry with the guest he'll get a lot out of them. Sometimes he gets stuck on things and it gets kind of awkward.

He's not shy lolz... he's pretty over the top sometimes. He's young, though, so it's understandable. He'll probably tone it down in time.

Why are you mad? He's fucking right!

^ Beep btw

Wow had no idea he looked like a complete faggot douche bag.

It all makes sense now...he is a faggot douche bag.

pretty weak to attack him on what he looks like, imo. the thread is about his abilities-MM

i'm not sayin he DOESN'T look like what was so elequolently put by a fistful of questionmarks above. i just think its silly to go down that road. thats all.