Lyoto Machida: Old School Karate

Future 185 champ Phone Post 3.0

That particular technique i learned a variation in muay thai. Very similar except the setup is a little bit different. I use a skip combined with timing to get in deep on the opponents hips, and they get dumped. Ive done it to really big guys, small guys.....i can do it while im striking or just from movement. Its a fantastic technique. Phone Post 3.0

Wow Phone Post 3.0

The Sultan - That particular technique i learned a variation in muay thai. Very similar except the setup is a little bit different. I use a skip combined with timing to get in deep on the opponents hips, and they get dumped. Ive done it to really big guys, small guys.....i can do it while im striking or just from movement. Its a fantastic technique. Phone Post 3.0

Watching trips in MT have been interesting to me coming from the wrestling/judo end. Ive seen Buakaw do a lot of sasae type trips from the clinch/plum which is similar to judo in being upright and just spinning and blocking. Of course, a lot of that done in MT is geared to MT situations but then Buakaw seems to do ok with that stuff in Shootboxing (S Cup) as well in terms of clinch type stuff. But i think the best thing about MMA is bringing all those together in a more free form and seeing what works with guys from all This is why i wanted to see Randy vs Wand because i dont think we ever had a high level Greco vs MT clinch match in MMA?

I think Yoshida got the better of Wand in the clinch in those matches but Yoshida did have the gi. Im not sure we saw much clinch work out of Anderson post-Franklin (he had a bit vs Bonnar). Against Chael, there were some against the cage but it was more Anderson defending Chael's leg shots as opposed to upright cilnch vs upright clinch.

i saw your article on the ufc site, very cool

http://www.ufc.com/news/ufc-fight-night-gegard-mousasi

. Phone Post 3.0

I've used those sweeps from Judo and TKD.My TKD teacher #1 student was also badass wrestler/TKD!So when he sparred he took everyone down.Karate sweeps are effective,especially when you blend! This 83/84.He is my friend still and teaches wrestling at my school.Spanks the kids were both 57!

Wasa-B - Btw, NF and Kolsyrade, i posed the question to Jack but never seem to get any responses from him. Can you guys think of any non-Kyokushin or offshoot karate guys that have succeeded in either MMA or Kickboxing?

I noted that Wonder Boy may be one other though he still could be considerate a moderate success guy vs an elite guy like Machida or the other Kyokushin, etc guys in KB.

Maurice Smith - Tae Kwon Do.

^^^ LOL, Mo was/is awesome :-)

Synado - This is like a Super Calo post.

How so?

I was under the impression that realistic training and full contact fights flattened out most differences between martial arts styles. I haven't watched a ton of sanda or san shou, but from what I understand and what I've seen it pretty much looks like muay thai with sidekicks and takedowns. However since sanda fighters come from extremely different backgrounds (hung gar, choy la fot, even Chen tai ji!) why do their stylistic differences get so flattened out? Or am I just not educated enough on those arts to see them coming through?

fos Phone Post 3.0

wowza! VTFU when my counter resets! excellent thread

Jack Slack - 
Synado - This is like a Super Calo post.

How so?

Jack, you ignore my heartfelt karateka nerd questions only to answer a SC accusation. How i disappoint, how i disappoint....

4L8R Phone Post 3.0

5 o clock shadow - I was under the impression that realistic training and full contact fights flattened out most differences between martial arts styles. I haven't watched a ton of sanda or san shou, but from what I understand and what I've seen it pretty much looks like muay thai with sidekicks and takedowns. However since sanda fighters come from extremely different backgrounds (hung gar, choy la fot, even Chen tai ji!) why do their stylistic differences get so flattened out? Or am I just not educated enough on those arts to see them coming through?

fos Phone Post 3.0
I feel like because at the end of the day, a punch is a punch, and a kick is a kick.
Difference in style when dealing with full-contact fights, comes from the rules. Obviously an individual can have variances, but the most effective methods and techniques have a way of rising to the top when you have any full-contact combat sport Phone Post 3.0