Maia Bandwagon?

Heartbroken Lee -  Maia should fight Bisping after Bisping is through with Kang. Maia called him out. Bisping will be pissed. He will beat him down worse than Nate did.

While I do think Bisping would win this fight, it is nearly impossible for him to beat Maia worse then Nate did.

Oh, I forgot about Bisping's fans. It can be a 3 way compound.

It was a surprising strategy to kickbox with Nate.

I hope his striking continues to improve, but that he doesn't forsake his bread and butter again anytime soon.

If he decides to take the Jorge Gurgel route I'm afraid I'll be jumping off the Meia bandwagon with a quickness.

I'm still on, as the loss was due to momentary gross stupidity rather than a lack of skill, and shouldn't be representative of what will happen in the future.

I'm still a fan but it did show that he needs some work to compliment his great BJJ.

Yueborg - I'm still on, as the loss was due to momentary gross stupidity rather than a lack of skill, and shouldn't be representative of what will happen in the future.
Most sensible statement I've seen made by a Maia fan. Well done.

FTR, when they tell they've built a compound, DON'T go.

still a fan, and still one of the fighters with the best chance of catching a. silva.

He made a lazy mistake against a top 5 MW and paid the price. Its something that can be corrected quite easily. I chalk it down to lack of experience.

Altough in my humble internet opinion. If he really wants to finish on the ground. He should focus less on throwing kicks and more on boxing his way into clinch range

HumboldtJiuJitsu: "but he did not LOSE A FIGHT. There was no fight."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAAA!

That sounds like an 8 year old boy refusing to accept what just happened.

There was a fight, a short one, but there was a fight.

Diego stole my name 

Altough in my humble internet opinion. If he really wants to finish on the ground. He should focus less on throwing kicks and more on boxing his way into clinch range

+1

Ocean6 - 

That sounds like an 8 year old boy refusing to accept what just happened.

Well a$$hole, in your defense, that is exactly how I felt watching it.

Great post Yueborg! 

Maia made a mistake. It happens. He's very talented and hope to see him back soon.

I'll be on the Maia train until her retires

Diego stole my name - He made a lazy mistake against a top 5 MW and paid the price. Its something that can be corrected quite easily. I chalk it down to lack of experience.

Somewhat agreed here. I wonder if he was hoping Nate would take him down off the kicks? Then again, did anyone believe Nate would have gone to the ground if he didnt need to?

Kicks are way riskier in setting up tds unless you're a GSP.

However, i think the jury then remains on whether Maia can crack the elite level being. He whippied Sonnen impressively, esp with that td but Sonnen isnt elite.

And to Orcus and MX, I would have to say:

Without getting into rankings, I would say both Okami and Maia are on the verge of breaking elite ranks.

I dont think Okami beating Sonnen would confirm him as "elite" however Okami does have a more solid record than Maia (more wins, been around longer). Maia of course schooled Sonnen.

I would say there are quite similar except for the fact that Maia's destruction is garden fresh and Okami has racked up 3 wins since his loss to Franklin.

The one comparison we could make is that in recent competiton against "elite" opposition, Okami only narrowly lost to Franklin and arguably beat him if we disregard the ten point must (just for arguements sake, the decision was fair and square) where Maia failed miserably in his first elite matchup.

However Maia wins more impressively but then lost miserably too where Okami's only loss in his 8 UFC bouts was a narrow decision in which he had better moments than his opponent.

In fact, I would love to see an MMA rematch of these 2 where Maia beat Okami in ADCC.

I still like Maia and Nate, even though he KTFO'd Maia.

" Okami's record stomps Maia's record, and its not even close."

Who has Okami beaten to not only earn a top 5 ranking, but to justify calling him top 5 while simultaneously "lol"ing at the mere thought of Maia being up there?

still a fan, i was concerned about this fight when i saw him kicking pads in a training/hype video.

Well, Okami does have a win over Silva (yes, I know by DQ, but still a win). He gave Rich Franklin all he could handle. He destroyed Even Tanner (RIP). He beat Swick, MacDonald etc...

Maia hadn't faced anyone at Rich's level until Saturday...and that didn't turn out too well.

I'd say Okami's list of wins puts him easily in the top 10 if not top 5...plus he's one of the few up near the top that hasn't lost to Anderson yet.