Make a case for Chad Mendes over Frankie

liljacare - Mende's is 'almost' one-dimensional fighter that rely heavily on wrestling then ground-pound. His striking is mostly throwing heavy over-hand right.

While Frankie has a very fluid combination of striking and wrestling.

Thus, it will be easier for Connor to plan a strategy to beat him. That's why DW chose Mendes as contingency plan :)

Somebody gets it. Phone Post 3.0

Aldo is a my fav fighter right now and I thought the Edgar fight was very close. In fact, i made a thread about it after and most people were saying that Aldo won no doubt. I think what made it seem that way is that the rounds Aldo won, he won by a clearer margin however, i had trouble saying Aldo won 3 rounds clearly in the end. IIRC, i thought 1-2 rounds were very debatable. This is why ive said that while Mendes did more to Aldo, Aldo did more to Mendes too but the Edgar fight was closer imo.

Chael also said he thought Edgar won and suprised there was not more controversy about it. I dont necessarily think Edgar won but suprised there was not more controversy. I think it had to do with the impression left by Frankie and his style but if you watched closely, i think it was a debatable outcome thus making it the only fight in Aldo's career that was not a clear victory in my eyes. Although most writers voted overwhelmingly for Aldo, 1 for Edgar on MMAdecisions, same with the Mendes fight, 1 voted for Mendes i think.

However, in terms of Aldo's would-be replacement, i think its pretty neck and neck between the 2 with both guys smashing their top 5 opponents but with Mendes doing it more destructively and probably more sellable beef with Connor.

Good post Wasa B.

I personally think Frankie Edgar is far easier to sell than Chad Mendes.

I mean Frankie is a former champ who has fought for a belt in 3 weight classes. Many exciting fights, he's very active.  Sure Mendes has more power but I don't see many other advantages Mendes has.

KingMeNow - People forget mendez was just a lay n pray. Point fighter until recently. Phone Post 3.0
He improved after the loss to Aldo. Frankie hasn't.

And all professional sports are entertainment, especially combat sports. If you're not entertaining, that's all the justification needed for us not to request this match up.

The fans pay the salaries. Phone Post 3.0

He lose the title fight to aldo 2 fights ago. Since it was 2 fights and not his last fight, he gets 'stand by' status. Now if his last fight was against Aldo, he would be fighting Conor right now.

Thats how its working lately right>?

Beating Faber and Penn at 145 don't really mean what it would have 5 years ago.

Chad is ahead of Frankie in the rankings which are a media compilation.

Personally I think either of them are worthy of a shot.

D241 -

Good post Wasa B.

I personally think Frankie Edgar is far easier to sell than Chad Mendes.

I mean Frankie is a former champ who has fought for a belt in 3 weight classes. Many exciting fights, he's very active.  Sure Mendes has more power but I don't see many other advantages Mendes has.

What's the 3rd weightclass Edgar contended for a belt in? Phone Post 3.0

The weightless weight class of awesomeness.  Or maybe it was just 2 weight classes.

haha, ^

It should've been Frankie

Frankie's wrestling=same level, either slightly better or slightly less, the way Frankie goes in for takedowns setting up strikes is in my opinion, better "mma wrestling".

Frankie's Cardio=another level

Frankie isn't subbing Conor and Conor isn't subbing Frankie.

This is a fight where Frankie bounces around, tries to pick Conor apart for 5 rounds, mixing in take downs, keeping him(Conor) on his back when taken down.

It comes down to, can Conor land that shot before the final bell, or will Frankie out point Conor en route to a decision victory.....