Make weight miss fighters fight up 2x

I am tired of fighters like Fierrara coming is so much over weight. I can see if you had a last minute call to fight but other than that you should not miss weight.

I say 2 pounds you get the standard fine, after that you get fined and you have to fight 2 fights in the weight class above you against a similarly ranked opponent

2 Likes

I think once a fighter misses weight he must fight up a weight class moving forward. No exceptions.

That would be a incentive to make weight!

The problem with that is you never know what happened to the guy (or girl) the week of their fight. Maybe they got sick, or had a minor injury that impacted their training late in camp, you really never know. We’ve seen many fighters miss weight one time and then never again (Nate Diaz) and we’ve also seen guys with multiple weight issues figure it out and never miss again (Khabib, Anthony Johnson).

How do you handle Max Holloway missing weight at 155 on short notice? Make him move to 170? If we allow short notice to explain that one…what do we consider short notice? If someone has 3 weeks, is that short notice? What about Diego’s 4 weeks here?

For me, the issue lies with ranked guys missing weight multiple times. They’re either bigger than they should be (Diego F looked huge for 155) or they didn’t cut as hard as their opponent, and will have an advantage because they didn’t put their body through the same hell as their opponent. Either way, it’s not fair.

And if we’re talking about two guys ranked in the top 15, the difference between a win of a loss for someone like Diego F or Gregor G is huge…Gregor is now likely to get an opportunity against someone like Makhachev, Felder, Hooker or RDA while Diego will get someone unranked.

I don’t know the right answer, but if Diego won that fight, it would have been a huge set back for Gregor, and totally unfair. I think the 30% penalty is good along with forfeiting the OTN bonuses is good (that’s a significant amount of money considering Gregor got Diego’s 50K bonus AND 30% of his show money).

I think forcing a guy to move up is tough if a guy misses by a small amount one time…but something has to be done to stop guys (particularly ranked guys in high profile fights) from missing weight by a large amount multiple times. Maybe after a miss you make the guy do his camp at the UFC PI with strict weight monitoring? I really don’t know the right answer, because Diego has made the weight multiple times, and didn’t look to be out of shape…so what TF can you do to make sure he doesn’t miss by 5 pounds again? He doesn’t look like he has a ton of weight to lose.

2 Likes

I get what you are saying. If you take a last minute fight that is different than a giy missing weight by 5 pounds and just saying fuck it.

If the guy who misses weight by 5 steps into the ring out weighing the other giy by 10 that is wrong.

Ferrera looked much bigger than Gregor and it made a difference in the first round. What if he had finished Gregor as he tried to take him down because of his weight advantage and ability to stuff takedowns?

I get what you’re saying but I myself and many other people I know have wrestled or competed in sports where you need to make weight and have never missed it.

I like how if you miss weight you aren’t eligible for any Bonus’s. I’ve also heard people say you start round 1 down a point which I kind of like.

Great ideas! I really hate when guys that are over by over 4 pounds win the fight

1 Like

No exceptions. If you take a short notice fight and not sure if you can’t make weight ask for a catch weight or don’t take the fight.

Excuses are the reason that the problem still exist.

I agree 100%, but I heard his coach talking on a podcast and said he took the fight on 3.5 weeks notice. Do we cut the guy some slack there? Is PART of this on the UFC for asking a guy like Diego to take a fight of this magnitude on less than 4 weeks?

When they made the Waterson vs Rodrigues fight a 5 round main event on short notice, they made the fight at 125 when both women compete at 170. I get that a week is tougher than 3.5, but should the UFC have made this a catch weight from the jump?

I agree with what you’re saying, it’s wrong to miss by that much…but it’s not like Diego looks smaller than that when he makes the weight. He’s always that big.

Yeah pretty much this. There should be steadfast rules in place like after missing weight X times, move up a division. After missing weight by X pounds or more, get fined X percent of purse more and move up. Generally speaking there are very few guys who miss weight more than once in their UFC careers. With those rules in place, the UFC should have the power to make exceptions if necessary. Like you said, a first timer isn’t necessarily a big deal for me unless it’s a title fight. People fuck up. If they miss once, give them a warning. After that, refer to the policies in place. Like you mentioned short notice fights should be considered, but if you’re a guy that accepts those kind of fights and you keep missing weight while saying “I didn’t have time to cut”, then that’s your problem.

I think in Diego’s case, something went wrong. Like you said he’s never missed before that I know of, and five pounds is A LOT to miss by. I think he should get a warning here because he has a solid history of already making weight. But if he misses again, I would force him to move up. Another thing to consider is the experience level of some guys. Younger guys come in and don’t know what they are doing. Veterans and fighters that have been in the UFC for at least 4-5 years should know what they are doing enough to be professional. Like anything else I don’t think there is a one size fits all approach… but I do think there need to be stricter policies in place.

Yeah. But the problem is that he accepted the fight. I’m not saying Diego is a piece of shit (see my above post), but it is his responsibility to make the weight for the fight. If he doesn’t think he can make it then he can say no. If he thinks he can make the weight but ends up not being able to, that’s a different story. He just fucked up. 3.5 weeks is not a long time for a camp but seems like a long time to lose weight. You’re right, he is a big dude. How fucking huge is he if he can’t make 155 on almost 4 weeks notice? There are many ways we can look at this. I don’t know his walk around weight but damn that dude is big.

They should adopt One FC weigh in rules instead.

1 Like

I agree, but there’s also a stigma placed on fighters who turn down fights, particularly fights that appear to be good for their career…we hear Dana shitting on guys publicly all the time when they turn down fights. If Diego told the UFC he couldn’t take the fight because he wasn’t sure he could make the weight, they wouldn’t be too excited about that.

There’s definitely a perception that if the UFC calls asking for you to take a particular fight on a particular day, it’s in your best interests to say yes, and would be bad if you said no. The only real way to turn it down without them getting pissed is to say you’re dealing with a minor injury, and 3.5 weeks is just too soon, ideally you can fight in 6-8 weeks though.

I thinking the best way to deal with it is to be a pain in the ass when they miss. Either force them to work with someone from the UFC PI on diet, or do a portion of your camp at the PI, possibly have random inspectors show up to weigh you (similar to how USADA pops in) and just make it really inconvenient for them if they miss. I don’t like the idea of forcing them to move up. If we did that, a guy like Khabib would have been forced to move to 170.

And imagine how weird it would be if someone like Gastelum missed at 185…what do you do with the guy, make him fight a similarly ranked guy like fucking Jimmy Crute at 205? That’s not entirely fair either. If Fereirra went to 170 to fight that 15th ranked guy, he’d be fighting fucking Khamzat Chimaev.

Frankly, I think the crazy part is that so many of these guys “wing it” when it comes to diet and cutting, and don’t have a guy like Mike Dolce (or someone a bit cheaper) to help them with that.

I dont understand why everyone ignores the success of their system.

2 Likes

Maybe because they have no oversight body (self regulated), do closed door weigh-ins with no media allowed and they don’t release weigh-in or the hydration test results. How do you even know the success of their system? Why all the secrecy?

There should be a stipulation that guys that weigh in too heavy cannot weigh over a certain limit when they step into the octagon. I believe Vitor made this stipulation when AJ came in so overweight. He looked almost 2 weight classes bigger

You joined the forum yesterday to say this?

UFC shill?

1 Like

I was on the forum back in the 90’s chasing off Paul Viele aka Bill Lewis (you dont even know who that is) before you even heard of this place. Nobody even mentioned the UFC, but instead of speaking facts lieke I am, you come with some shill nonsense. Go away kid, adults are talking here.

Ahhh…the old I was here before anyone angle. I like it. Well carry on.

Tell us how bad Bellator, PFL, and One are while spouting the greatness of Dana and the UFC.

You seem confused. I’ve only been talking about One FC while you’re the one repeatedly bringing up Dana and the UFC. Why dont you show us on the doll where Dana touched you? It’s okay, he cant hurt you anymore.

unnamed