Make weight miss fighters fight up 2x

His point is valid, though. We have no idea if their program is actually successful…and frankly, it’s obvious cutting is still taking place there. Look at the guy that just beat Mighty Mouse. He’s 5’7" and fucking JACKED, and I’m supposed to believe he’s making 135 without cutting weight? Dude looks bigger than UFC 135ers like Cruz, Garbrandt, Font etc…all guys that cut to make 135, but makes 135 without failing a hydration test? Fucking guy looks bigger than Jose Aldo ffs.

The goal of weight classes is to make sure similar size guys fight each other, right? Mighty Mouse always looks a little small, even at 125…but those two looked to obviously be in different weight classes.

1 Like

Too me the answer is simple. You miss weight regardless of the reason YOU MUST move up to next class.

It must be a severe consequence and 30% of pay doesn’t/hasn’t worked. I don’t care if you took a short notice fight or injured and couldn’t do cardio…don’t take fight if you can’t make it.

1 Like

If you force someone to move up when they miss, it would just cause them to pull out of fights with fake reasons, and that doesn’t benefit either fighter, or the UFC. The UFC doesn’t want to lose the fight, and neither fighter wants to lose it either. In your scenario, it’s such a deterrent that guys just always make weight, but that’s not what’s going to happen.

Diego’s team said they thought he was going to make weight. He showed up lighter than he did in previous fights he made 156. So when a guy like that can’t make the weight, instead of stepping on the scale heavy and fighting someone much bigger at 170 next time, he fakes some other symptoms and pulls out of the fight. Does that help the UFC? Does it help Gregor?

In your scenario, Khabib and Max Holloway both fight at 170 now…Henry Cejudo fights at 145…the list goes on and on.

Yes I know. And guess what people start fighting at their real weights. If there is no consequence why not just miss and give up part of purse but get the WIN.

I say take a zero tolerance on the issue of weight cutting. The UFC is giving them a chance to make weight and if they fail they know the consequences.

ok, but guys won’t start fighting at their real weight. The % of guys who miss is crazy small…so you’d have guys who miss weight fighting bigger guys, and that’s really it.

1 Like

You said it. It’s a small number. So that small number would bump up to a weight that is closer to where they should be.

All things equal, yeah…you’re right. However, if a guy like Chandler has mastered the art of weight cutting and compare him to someone like Diego who doesn’t appear to have that figured out…you might run into instances in which the bigger guys aren’t the ones moving up. Ideally it would get them all to put the appropriate level of effort in, and get a nutritionist etc, but if we move guys up after one miss, I think we end up with a bunch of guys in the wrong weight class.

Maybe because missing weight doesnt guarantee a win???

Yeah but the UFC can’t punish you for declining a short notice fight offer. They can definitely give you a bonus for saving a card, though. Those are good ideas but I doubt the UFC would ever make fighters do that. It’s easy to say move up a weight class and wash your hands of it. All of that costs money and time for them.

They need to scrap weight cutting all together ASAP. It’s an antiquated rule and all it does it lead to fuckery

I see your point but if they are missing weight they already proved they are in the wrong weight class.

It doesn’t guarantee a win but tips the scales heavily in your favor.

Sure, but forcing guys who think they’re a certain weight class move up after one miss isn’t ever going to happen. Again, imagine if Holloway was forced to fight at 170, Cejudo was moved to 145, and Khabib was 170. That would cost the UFC more $ than forcing these guys to work with UFC people during camp.

So you feel Khabib should have fought at 170, Holloway at 170, Cejudo at 145? If it’s so easy to say that if they miss, they proved they’re in the wrong weight class, then these multiple time champions are all competing at least 1, in some cases 2 weight classes to light.

If they can make the weight it’s fine but first time they don’t regardless of the reason they can no longer fight at that weight.

I know a fighter in Massachusetts no longer allowed to fight at 155 or lighter.

I know a fighter in CT that Mike Mazulli will no longer fight at 155. Everytime there is a rules meeting he brings it up and the fighter’s name.

I agree with those decisions.

I’m struggling to understand what you’re saying…you say if they can make the weight, it’s fine, but if they miss they have to move up.

So again…you think Max Holloway should be fighting at 170 right now and not 145? He made 145 successfully a ton, but missed at 155 and ended up in the hospital. So that proves he’s too big for 155, and needs to be at 170, right?

Well technically they didnt let him finish the weight cut so he may or may not have made it, but you’re tight about Holloway at 170 being ridiculous.

He has all these conditions about forcing fighters to move up, but there doesnt seem to be a way to drop down in weight which many fighters have successfully done :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Dont know why it cant just be looked at on a case by case basis like theyve been doing. Lineker and Gastelum were forced to go up a weight class after multiple failures, but I guess we’re just going to ignore that. Why are we acting like this is some epidemic?

No, I’m not suggesting the UFC force guys to move up after one miss. First time is a warning, second time is a higher purse deduction, and a third miss means you move up a weight class. The UFC has done it before with Gastelum and at least several other fighters. You’re only referring to championship caliber fighters but really it’s extremely rare for a guy at that level to miss weight. It’s already rare to begin with. Once guys know that they will have to move up a weight class they will either figure out the weight cutting, or move up like they should have to begin with.

every post i have seen from you has been 100 percent aggressive bullshit.

fuck you, noob. bye.

Yes, it’s rare for guys to miss, and rare for championship fighters to miss…yet we’ve seen several champions miss once or twice. In addition to the 3 I mentioned, Figueredo missed in the fight for the vacant belt. He made it in his next fight, and fight after that and is currently about to defend his belt at 125 again, but he missed too.

My question about moving up after 1 miss wasn’t necessarily directed at you, other people in this thread have said it multiple times.

I think your idea of increasing the $ amount if they miss is a good idea. 30% on your first miss, 40% on your second, and 50% on your 3rd…and that should be show and win if it isn’t already.