Make weight miss fighters fight up 2x

Money isn’t a deterrent.

Waahhh! the bad man on the forum is being too aggressive for me! What’s next, you going to say I’m bullying you? Go find a sewing forum where you can feel nice and safe from meanies like me.

Funny thing about your posts is that they’re all bitching about and cursing at me. You’re not even discussing the thread topic, just focusing on me like some scorned teenage girl. Are you a woman that I fucked and didnt call the next day?

I was just referring to top level guys (potential champs), but an actual champion shouldn’t miss weight. Honestly, their punishment should be getting stripped of their belt. Champions should be held to a higher standard and whatever they can get away with, lower tier fighters can as well. I like the increased purse deduction but many times we have seen that just taking these guys money isn’t enough… it costs way more time/money/energy when guys have to pull out because of weight issues, and/or a fight is scrapped because one guy missed weight and the other didn’t accept it. Or the guy cutting has to be hospitalized. Plus that’s more involvement from the UFC staff from getting the guy medical attention, to meeting with them, to booking a new fight, etc… it’s much easier to do the purse deduction, then force them to move up.

I appreciate your thoughtfulness and rationale, this is a complex problem that does not have a simple solution. Discussions like these are the ones that spark ideas and help progression over the decades to come. With as many guys as we have seen move up in weight over the last 3-4 years, I think over the next 10 years we will see an immense change. Especially when popular fighters and/or former champions do it, it sets an example for other guys.

What about taking a point from them as well as the money? It’s far from perfect but I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

1 Like

I think the UFC has handled forcing guys to move up pretty well on a case by case basis, and when certain guys struggled with the diet portion, they’ve gotten them help there. I really don’t think it can be cut and dry, every situation is different. The example I used a few times above was Max Holloway missing at 155 and ending up in the hospital in a title fight.

He took it on extremely short notice after Tony Ferguson got hurt the week of the event, and he was doing the UFC a favor trying to save the event. So how do you crush that guy for missing? Other guys have had staph infections, and instead of pulling out of the fight, they stayed on the card and ended up missing by a short amount.

When guys say that $ hasn’t been a motivator, I disagree completely. A very small % of fighters miss, and they don’t think they’re gonna miss 24 hours prior to the fight. Many have made the weight cutting from the same starting point, and something goes wrong and they run out of time and miss. They aren’t consciously make a decision to miss weeks out, they just break while trying to cut…and in those moments, nothing is going to make a difference. Not moving up, not $…fuck, you could threaten to cut them and it won’t make a difference.

As for what this thread started as, with people missing multiple times…how many people are we talking about? Less than 10 on the roster?

Dsna is supposed to change the commission rules?

That’s not how it works. I guess Bill Belicheck can change the NFL rules because he is the most influencial coach of a top team.

Insists that is exactly how it works. One sentence later asks who can change the rules. You are funny! :rofl:

You’d just have more fighters pulling out injured and it would cause a right mess.

They need to have proper hydration tests and correct weight classes