Manager explains Palhares subs

There is another angle of this as well, the referee should be vigilant when this guy latches onto a leg.  It shouldn't take 2 seconds to stop the fight.

Everyone at the event and at home watching knows at some point this guy is getting on a leg, pay attention.

By the same logic, in comparison to striking, there are a lot of fighters who know they just jacked someone and they stop swinging BEFORE the ref stops the fight.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

This thread lacks of Paul Harris leg collecting highlights :)

Even his one against Pierce wasn't late.

Bustamante had a different view on Palhares. Sounds like he has a history of hurting guys in training, too.

Rousimar Palhares’ former coach Murilo Bustamante, head of the Brazilian Top Team, says he is not surprised about Palhares’ latest controversial incident in the UFC Octagon, nor that he has now been cut by the organization and banned for life.

Speaking to Fighters Only, the esteemed trainer and former UFC champion said that Palhares’ tendency to hurt his training partners was a large factor in their parting ways last year. Palhares is now with Team Nogueira in Rio de Janeiro.

“I wouldn’t normally say anything because usually what happens inside Brazilian Top Team stays inside Brazilian Top Team. But Rousimar has been talking a lot of bulls--t about my team so I feel I am free to say what I think as well,” Bustamante tells us.

“I can say this - nobody ever defended him as much as I did every time he made a mistake like this. In the beginning I thought it was because he was naive or had too much nervous energy during the fights.

“But then he caused a lot of incidents inside my academy during his camps and I changed my mind.

“I got tired of seeing how he hurts people so often when he is sparring, especially when he has a fight coming up. We used to argue every time it happened, so we argued a lot.

“That was a reason - together with his nonsense excuses every time he lost a fight - that our relationship started to get bitter.

“I actually hired a psychologist to help me with him but, as we have seen, it didn't work.”

Whambo -
triso - Nice to see people scared of a submission artist again like they are of KO artists. If someone like Palhares or Mir gets a hold of your limb you better be ready to tap quickly. Don't wait until full extension.

Agreed, Paul Harris is basically the only guy going for leg subs right now. When's the last time we saw a guy in the UFC get a leg sub that wasn't Paul Harris? I honestly have no idea. He's like the last of a dying breed.

Entwhistle had a beautiful heel hook last weekend. Strange that there wasn't a word about it even though it looked just as dangerous as Stumpy's Phone Post 3.0

lol he just completely ignored the actual problem in that comment.

The Paul Harris criticism comes from the submissions being held too long - not because they aren't pretty.

As a matter of fact I think they are pretty. I think they are masterful. He just holds on to them after the ref makes contact with him.

He compares it to Mark Hunt knocking someone out but he does it in the wrong way. For it to actually be comparable, he'd have to compare it to Mark Hunt continually punching the opponent in the face while the ref tries to physically pull him away.

We aren't talking about standard submissions and it never ceases to amaze me how these guys can so obviously act like they don't know what the real issue is....

I'm oddly on in the middle ground on this one. In my (uneducated) opinion, he has held subs too long in the past, and seemed like he has cranked them. But the last two he has gotten heat from looked perfectly fine to me, and certainly didn't look like he was trying to maul his opponent.

So I don't know, it sucks a bit that his specialty is more visibly painful and uncomfortable to watch and not his fault, at all. But the couple that he did hold too long in the past (again, in my opinion) put him on people's radar. So it's sort of expected.

So maybe he's being held to a higher standard now than others because of perceived past transgressions. But even by that standard the Fitch sub seemed completely reasonable and fair to me. Phone Post 3.0

Are we really going to whitewash away his history of cranking subs AFTER the ref has intervened? 

Its his history that hurts him. Guys legs get fucked up when paul Harris gets a hold of them.

That said, he did not hold his last sub on fitch too long. I felt like he was fine. Phone Post 3.0

The Sultan - Its his history that hurts him. Guys legs get fucked up when paul Harris gets a hold of them.

That said, he did not hold his last sub on fitch too long. I felt like he was fine. Phone Post 3.0
Name one guy that needed.surgery after Palhares leg locked them. Tate, Nogueria, Sylvia all needed surgery after their sub losses. Why aren't Rousey and Mir held to the same standard? Phone Post 3.0

eljamaiquino - 
The Sultan - Its his history that hurts him. Guys legs get fucked up when paul Harris gets a hold of them.

Name one guy that needed.surgery after Palhares leg locked them. Tate, Nogueria, Sylvia all needed surgery after their sub losses. Why aren't Rousey and Mir held to the same standard? Phone Post 3.0

B/c their opponents didn't tap.

Palhares is held to the "higher" standard b/c his opponents do tap.

zFugitive - Has Paul Harris been a victim of fake-tapping? If not I don't see him being able to use that as an excuse for not letting go when the guy taps.

For guys who have been a victim to it, I can see why they would have a chip on their shoulder and not let go of a sub until a ref physically touches you.

As far as the Fitch fight goes, I didn't see anything wrong with him not letting go of the sub...he seemed to let go pretty timely...but in the past he has definitely held on far to long and whether or not he caused extra damage due to it is speculative but still it's fucked up to do.

By that same logic, those who've never been burglarized shouldn't lock their door.

problem is EVERY single time the ref literally has to pry his hands off the sub NO other fighter has this happen every singletime

Liyon - 
eljamaiquino - 

True.  And I don't like the dude wreckin' knees like that, but to be fair he's going by the rules and usually lets go as soon as the ref jumps in.  At least one case he didn't though, and that was pretty sketch.

Seems like the refs are usually slow to jump in after the tap.....if you're reffing a fight with Palhares wouldn't you know it's coming and literally be right there, ready to stop him when the guy taps?  I would.

Porkchop - lol he just completely ignored the actual problem in that comment.

The Paul Harris criticism comes from the submissions being held too long - not because they aren't pretty.

As a matter of fact I think they are pretty. I think they are masterful. He just holds on to them after the ref makes contact with him.

He compares it to Mark Hunt knocking someone out but he does it in the wrong way. For it to actually be comparable, he'd have to compare it to Mark Hunt continually punching the opponent in the face while the ref tries to physically pull him away.

We aren't talking about standard submissions and it never ceases to amaze me how these guys can so obviously act like they don't know what the real issue is....

Bingo!!!

8flat - 
Liyon - 
eljamaiquino - 

True.  And I don't like the dude wreckin' knees like that, but to be fair he's going by the rules and usually lets go as soon as the ref jumps in.  At least one case he didn't though, and that was pretty sketch.

Seems like the refs are usually slow to jump in after the tap.....if you're reffing a fight with Palhares wouldn't you know it's coming and literally be right there, ready to stop him when the guy taps?  I would.

no watch alll his subs He only lets go when ref prys his hands off the sub NO other fighter has this problem every single time

Winston Wolf - 
8flat - 
Liyon - 
eljamaiquino - 

no watch alll his subs He only lets go when ref prys his hands off the sub NO other fighter has this problem every single time

And that seems to be the cruz of the matter:

"He only lets go when ref prys his hands off the sub NO other fighter has this problem every single time"

Simplest Explanation:

He's fucking crazy.

Just look at him.

all of the morons complaining about Rousimar are fucking morons

they need to educate themselves or just not watch prize fights