Mark Kerrs Routine

Finally got to see Mark Kerrs - Smashing Machine Documentary. What's with the Smith Machine Squats, Leg Extensions and SHrugs. Does this guy just want to get a lot bigger, or is he seeing benefit from doing these exercises.

Looked like high reps. He was training in some commercil gym. Good documentary.

Smith machine squats aren't good for much. I wonder what his ACTUAL regularity of use is for that particular exercise.

In any event, gama is correct. Once weight classes arent an issue, being bigger equals more wins. Keep in mind that these are highly conditioned athletes, who probably wrestle 5 or 6 days per week for a few hours. Their weight routine does little more then add size, not conditioning. That sort of routine, however, CAN increase one's lactate threshold substantially, which could help them as well.

Steroids and genetics dont hurt either. The only reason i bring up that topic is because i hate to see some kid reading this thinking "Oh shit, Kerr does smith machine squats and he's huge and such a good fighter WOW!" and then start busting his ass on a machine thats more likely to injure him then give him Mark Kerr type results.

-doug-

I think the BB routines added to his demise. I think he's a pretty classic example of the term "muscle bound."

The only thing a Smith machine is good for is to hang your towel on.

+ Dawn

He probably uses the smith machine because he doesn't want to get hurt.

I did notice the BB type stuff he was doing throughout the film: stuff like curls, front shoulder raises, leg press

I think some good points have been brought up. Just because so and so uses these routines or whatever, it doesn't mean its going to work for you.
Mark Kerr was also addicted to pain killers. Everyone of us comes from a certain training and genetic background. What you need to do is simple. TRAIN YOUR WEAKEST LINK !!!! NO ifs ands or butts about it. I actually gave up weight lifting for about 8 weeks and did some drills to strengthen my back (scapula region) and improve my posture.
As a result, my weight lifting has exploded again and my flexibility on the mats is rockin again.
My Point ? who cares how any one trains ? Train for your own results !!!!!!

I think what intijockrider is saying is that its up to skill training and genetics to make you a decent fighter ;)

-doug-

"TRAIN YOUR WEAKEST LINK !!!! NO ifs ands or butts about it. I actually gave up weight lifting for about 8 weeks and did some drills to strengthen my back (scapula region) and improve my posture. As a result, my weight lifting has exploded again and my flexibility on the mats is rockin again. My Point ? who cares how any one trains ? Train for your own results !!!!!!"

Sing it loud brother. This is exactly what people neglect by need to do.

RickW--

What types of drills did you do to strenghten that area of your back? I have a lot of tightness in my neck/scapula from old injuries, I'd love a few exercises to stretch and strengthen that part of my body.