Matt Fury

Joe’s no joke. Super tough and hard to tap, especially for people his size. Given he had to go daily with Jerry, Pete, Frank and Vern, it’s unsurprising that Furey felt “non-threatening.”

blabbermouth -

He went from CACC (ripping off Gotch), to Combat Conditioning (ripping off everyone by saying he got his physique from the exercises he took from Gotch, instead of admitting he got his physique by training with legendary strongman Brooks Kubik), to selling Chinese sex secrets (because he married a Chinese woman), to purchasing (I want to say Dan) Kennedy's self-help empire (I want to say it was called  Cybernetics or something simliar) and tried to transition into a self-help guru. I'm pleased to say he seems not to have succeeded.

UG member Joe Hurley has Furey story, iirc. When Joe ws a lowly blue belt, he armbarred him and Furey decided the best way to not look stupid was to suckerpunch his way out of it.

you're conflating joe with a purple belt from maxercise that he punched in the face to escape a triangle. Joe just punked him, so did the kid, but being a lot less scary, got a punch in the face for it. Old mat is a far out cat, he spun that maxercise punch out into his infamous "tapping like a typewriter" ad campaign

Furry claimed that the standard of competition at ADCC was so bad that he’d enter and easily win the tournament…except he didn’t enter. The following year he stated the same and to his surprise, Shieik Tahoon personally offered him an all-expenses paid invitation.

Fat Murey suddenly went quiet.

1 Like
de braco - 
blabbermouth -

He went from CACC (ripping off Gotch), to Combat Conditioning (ripping off everyone by saying he got his physique from the exercises he took from Gotch, instead of admitting he got his physique by training with legendary strongman Brooks Kubik), to selling Chinese sex secrets (because he married a Chinese woman), to purchasing (I want to say Dan) Kennedy's self-help empire (I want to say it was called  Cybernetics or something simliar) and tried to transition into a self-help guru. I'm pleased to say he seems not to have succeeded.

UG member Joe Hurley has Furey story, iirc. When Joe ws a lowly blue belt, he armbarred him and Furey decided the best way to not look stupid was to suckerpunch his way out of it.

you're conflating joe with a purple belt from maxercise that he punched in the face to escape a triangle. Joe just punked him, so did the kid, but being a lot less scary, got a punch in the face for it. Old mat is a far out cat, he spun that maxercise punch out into his infamous "tapping like a typewriter" ad campaign

If i recall correctly, that purple belt was Tony Pacenski, who was pretty young at the time and also pretty light.

1 Like
Squatdog - Furry claimed that the standard of competition at ADCC was so bad that he'd enter and easily win the tournament...except he didn't enter. The following year he stated the same and to his surprise, Shieik Tahoon personally offered him an all-expenses paid invitation.

Fat Murey suddenly went quiet.

i don’t recall that. Mat covered the first two ADCC for martial arts legends presents magazine. It eventually became the monthly magazine, grappling. They(unique publications, publishers of inside kung fu/karate) would print an occasional special issue, under the “presents” moniker, focusing on kickboxing or grappling. Grappling was the only one to make the jump to full time publication. Mat did complain about the ADCC rule of no neck cranks and made a rediculous claim that he knew like 200 functional neck cranks and as such would be crippled in competition without them.

Mat wrote that the machado brothers were the most impressive contestants, rigan(best takedowns) and Jean Jacques(best groundwork), and that jj machado was absolutely phenomenal

he was still on his best behaviour then, as a new employee travelling around the world on the company dime. He didn't start out nuts, he descended.

He knows all the secrets of the ghost of Farmer Burns.

1 Like