McGregor - Here's How He Will do Against Wrestler

And this is just two years after he was submitted. Hes stuffing take downs standing up from them and taking people down and submitting them. This is a great break down of his progress since he was submitted by Duffy. He learned and he is a couple years beyond this now and a brown belt in BJJ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PZlFnddq-U

Who's in the highlight that you can consider a top tier grappler? Also, all due respect to the commentator, but I can't agree with the sentiment "if you ain't cheating you ain't trying." Same type of hypocrite that probably had much to say about the Yoel Romero situation. If you ain't cheating you ain't trying is not a good way to commend a guy you're trying to hype up. That's all this guy was doing, hyping Conor by showing the same 3 fight moments over and over. That last little breakdown was good work by McGregor. I liked the feints and the counter set up, but who is significant in the fights they showed to highlight these improvements. Give me names. Like I said before, it is a whole different level at the top. C class fighters are not operating at the same speed, timing, or skillset as the elite players at the top. I didn't see Mendez or Edgar or Cub or Lamas or Bermudez in that highlight video to really gauge any improvement. Phone Post 3.0

Maybe you can give us a breakdown of why you think Mendes would have more success taking Conor down then he did Aldo other then "he's a better wrestler"? Also you said Duffy would beat him again today what do you say now if Duffy is just a C class?

You act like there is no improvement when in fact he improves extremely fast and he is a couple years past those videos now. And it was more then the same 3 clips now you are really reaching...

After he beats Aldo he will rest his balls on Chads head I hope Siver gets injured and they they throw in one of these so called top tier wrestlers at him...

fightcity - Maybe you can give us a breakdown of why you think Mendes would have more success taking Conor down then he did Aldo other then "he's a better wrestler"?

Also you said Duffy would beat him again today what do you say now if Duffy is just a C class?

You act like there is no improvement when in fact he improves extremely fast and he is a couple years past those videos now. And it was more then the same 3 clips now you are really reaching...
Because not being able to take Aldo down doesn't mean he doesn't have great takedowns. Aldo's takedown defense is arguably the best in MMA. He's proven he can shut down elite grapplers- Connor to this point hasn't proven shit. Until he does the same to Mendes, Edgar, Lamas, etc his TDD will be questioned. Phone Post 3.0

Wow good break down... Aldo is not a wrestler and he can stop elite wrestlers but Conor can't because these elite wrestlers have magical powers far beyond the guys who Conor has stuffed their takedowns... You guys are a riot...

What the video shows is he has the skills to properly defend takedowns uses is body weight movement etc properly there is no reason why these skills won't work on Mendes Lamas etc...

I remember when Mendes first fought Aldo all you guys were saying no way he can stop Mendes take down as if he has magical powers or something....

fightcity - Wow good break down... Aldo is not a wrestler and he can stop elite wrestlers but Conor can't because these elite wrestlers have magical powers far beyond the guys who Conor has stuffed their takedowns... You guys are a riot...

What the video shows is he has the skills to properly defend takedowns uses is body weight movement etc properly there is no reason why these skills won't work on Mendes Lamas etc...

I remember when Mendes first fought Aldo all you guys were saying no way he can stop Mendes take down as if he has magical powers or something....
Look I'm a big Mcgregor fan like you clearly are, and I hope your just joking when talking about Aldo and take down defense, otherwise I can't really respect your opinion on anything mma. I hope Mcgregor can whoop mendes, but saying he can stop his takedowns (which maybe he can idk) just because Aldo can is silly. Phone Post 3.0

Silly really so Its Aldo that has magical powers and he is the only one that can stop Mendes take downs? Wow...

And just for the record I never vote anyone down just because they disagree with me... Sigh

The answer is: we don't know how he will do against elite wrestlers. He hasn't fought anything close to an elite wrestler. Maybe he will have Aldo level anti-wrestling. Maybe he won't.

We'll have to see, I guess.

This thread turned butthurt, when's he's tested in the UFC we will know. I hope he KO's his way to first 3 belt champ like his manager/coach claimed he will/can be, but the UFC equalizes all minor league stats and record.

fightcity - Maybe you can give us a breakdown of why you think Mendes would have more success taking Conor down then he did Aldo other then "he's a better wrestler"? Also you said Duffy would beat him again today what do you say now if Duffy is just a C class?

After he beats Aldo he will rest his balls on Chads head I hope Siver gets injured and they they throw in one of these so called top tier wrestlers at him...
I think the disconnect between you and I is in that I'm not seeing McGregor at the same level as Aldo. McGregor does not equal Aldo. In your eyes you want to hand this guy accolades he hasn't even earned yet. Aldo has shown and proven everything we are giving him credit for. In my eyes they are on 2 different planes. One is already proven, has battled style after style, has beat the cream of the crop fight after fight, and has shown he can prevent being taken down. He's EARNED that against the best guys trying to take him down. Conor is UNPROVEN. He has not faced anyone of the killers in the division. The fight with Siver is not helping his case. I really do believe he has potential, but the UFC is doing him a grand disservice by giving him this sheltered rise. How exactly does a fight with Siver make sense? It doesn't. He would be better served fighting the guys we keep bringing up, because beating them would actually mean something and give credit to his rise. Mendes would beat Conor imho. No hate, it's the truth. I'm not blinded by emotion or hype. I see 2 top athletes, one with much more experience who just fought well against the best to ever do it in the division. He just went 5 with the greatest, while Conor has yet to fight a top fighter. That shit counts, and unlike Silva and Weidman where the new lion replaced the old lion, Aldo is not old and neither is Mendes. Phone Post 3.0

fightcity - Silly really so Its Aldo that has magical powers and he is the only one that can stop Mendes take downs? Wow...

And just for the record I never vote anyone down just because they disagree with me... Sigh

The point people are trying to help you see is that there is no guarantee and you seem to be deliberately trying not to see it. Just because Cain made JDS look like an average boxer doesn't mean someone else can, just because Weidman made Anderson Silva's head movement look beatable doesn't mean Diaz will, just because Jon Jones made Vitor look pretty horrible or Rashad Evans look like a bad wrestler doesn't mean that they are. People are trying to say that Mendes has taken down people who on paper have better wrestling that Connor, does that mean he will be able to? Hard to say but applying your current version of MMA math to this situation and then being incredulous when someone disagrees is not really a winning combination.

fightcity - Silly really so Its Aldo that has magical powers and he is the only one that can stop Mendes take downs? Wow...

Me neither. VD's are petty. Just voted you up to counteract some of the undue hate. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. That's what makes sports great, that we can all have different perspectives and only the fight itself can pick who was right. If you disagree with a post say it with words, not a little meaningless green arrow. Phone Post 3.0

Point taken. I am not giving Conor credit he has not earned or using emotion or hype. I am looking at technique and analyzing it just like Rory McDonald did thats all. I know he has not fought the upper tier except for Dustin.

I see greatness in his skill and attitude I am not swayed by hype. Its you guys who seem to be emotional about it... Aldo has beaten everyone who is anyone so Conor couldn't possibly beat him is your mantra.

Conor could lose focus and not achieve his goal but I doubt it. He could lose to one of these guys on the way up Siver could get a lucky punch but I still doubt that will deter him from his goal.

One of the good things about him is he has already lost a couple and has learned how to deal with defeat...

"Aldo has beaten everyone who is anyone so Conor couldn't possibly beat him is your mantra."

The sentiment is not so much he can't, but more so a SHOW us YOU CAN. The adversity to the hype is in it being premature. I consider it a message to the UFC that we are not the gullible idiots they think we are. We don't just fall head over heels for whoever they market as the next big STAR. We actually look at their body of work and determine whether the hype is justified. This kid has everything going for him, now let's see him prove something. That's all I ask, is that too much to ask fightcity? Is it too much to ask to see him in with a top 3 before a gift titleshot? Huh? Is it? Phone Post 3.0

KnockoutThoughts - "Aldo has beaten everyone who is anyone so Conor couldn't possibly beat him is your mantra."

The sentiment is not so much he can't, but more so a SHOW us YOU CAN. The adversity to the hype is in it being premature. I consider it a message to the UFC that we are not the gullible idiots they think we are. We don't just fall head over heels for whoever they market as the next big STAR. We actually look at their body of work and determine whether the hype is justified. This kid has everything going for him, now let's see him prove something. That's all I ask, is that too much to ask fightcity? Is it too much to ask to see him in with a top 3 before a gift titleshot? Huh? Is it? Phone Post 3.0

He is going to fight one of the top 3 he is going to fight number one... ;) No it's not to much to ask. I want to see him fight all these guys too I understand the feeling that he has not earned it but as has been pointed out above it is not uncommon for guys to get a title shot who seemingly have not earned it in the sense of following the pecking order and shock everyone and even become dominant champions so i don't see a problem with it.

As i said I am looking at his skill technique uniqueness and mental strength I am anxious to see if I am right and he beats Aldo so i don't mind him jumping the line getting a title shot.

I haven't really been keeping up for the past couple years MMA had gotten stale for me and Conor has drawn me back into the game and I am enjoying it again...

priziesthorse -
KnockoutThoughts - "Aldo has beaten everyone who is anyone so Conor couldn't possibly beat him is your mantra."

Chris Weidman and Jon Jones didnt beat a top 5 guy before their title shots.
Alright let's clear this one up. Jones wasn't lined up for a titleshot, he got lucky and jumped in on short notice for injured teammate Rashad Evans, after Jones himself had an impressive win against a then surging undefeated Ryan Bader. Remember when Bader was considered the next big thing and was undefeated? Yea that was when Jones fought him and it was a big thing at the time. Billed as the 2 undefeated hot prospect wrestlers going toe to toe. He didn't get a promise of a titleshot with that win, he got lucky and jumped in for an injured team mate. Special circumstance.

Weidman was not ranked in the top 10 when he beat Munoz. Munoz at the time was ranked #4 at the time and was calling out Anderson for a titleshot. He was on a win streak and had just beat Leben by stoppage. You see the trend was Weidman fought up in competition. Conor McGregor is taking a step backwards on his way to the belt by fighting Siver. Phone Post 3.0

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1007837-br-rankings-for-january-the-top-10-middleweights-in-mma

To back up my claim of #4 for Munoz at the time. Not just pulling numbers out of my ass. Had to do a little search. Phone Post 3.0

Saffiedine wasn't a step back from Woodley- he was the Strikeforce WW champion with a win over Woodley on his resume. Phone Post 3.0

I believe there are a few different paths to a title shot:

1. Defeat a top 5 fighter in impressive fashion.

2. Long win streak over good fighters. (Gatekeepers)

3. Get lucky. Hey, everyone is injured, it's your lucky day!

4. Hype/business decision/Sonnen type antics.

I get the push for Conor but he is certainly not fully tested. Phone Post

priziesthorse -
KnockoutThoughts - 
priziesthorse -

Chris Weidman and Jon Jones didnt beat a top 5 guy before their title shots.
Alright let's clear this one up. Jones wasn't lined up for a titleshot, he got lucky and jumped in on short notice for injured teammate Rashad Evans, after Jones himself had an impressive win against a then surging undefeated Ryan Bader. Remember when Bader was considered the next big thing and was undefeated? Yea that was when Jones fought him and it was a big thing at the time. Billed as the 2 undefeated hot prospect wrestlers going toe to toe. He didn't get a promise of a titleshot with that win, he got lucky and jumped in for an injured team mate. Special circumstance.

Weidman was not ranked in the top 10 when he beat Munoz. Munoz at the time was ranked #4 at the time and was calling out Anderson for a titleshot. He was on a win streak and had just beat Leben by stoppage. You see the trend was Weidman fought up in competition. Conor McGregor is taking a step backwards on his way to the belt by fighting Siver. Phone Post 3.0

Taking a step back....just like Rory who beat Woodley then Saffiedine and is now getting a shot.
C'mon man.. Are you really comparing Rory MacDonald's to Conor McGregor? MacDonald has fought the who's whos of his division on his way to a title shot. It's been a long road with both wins and losses. He fought Condit, he fought Ellenberger, he fought Woodley, he fought Saffediene, he fought Nate, he fought Robbie, he has fought BIG names who are still in the conversation. Conor is only 4 fights into his career in the UFC, and his win over Porier is the only one that carries real weight. Every fighter on MacDonald's resume has more name recognition than Porier. No disrespect to Porier, but he wasn't a huge talking point in his division. I do like him as a fighter, but he wasn't a big talking point to win the title. Each guy on MacDonald's resume has at some point been in the conversation for a titleshot. Woodley was just surging. Don't compare MacDonald's trek to McGregor's brisk walk through the park. Not equivalent journey to the title shot. Phone Post 3.0