Miesha Tate: I'm losing 80-90% because of Reebok

Everyone already knows the Reebok deal is shit. If you think otherwise you are just bullshitting yourself. I find it hilarious that Dana White was trying so hard to downplay a fighter's union and when it didn't happen, this Reebok crap hit the fan.

BrattMamley - 

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/5/21/8633261/miesha-tate-bryan-caraway-ufc-reebok-deal-mma-sponsorship

Add another unhappy fighter to the list.

Miesha Tate: "I’m still only on the second tier, so I get 5000 dollars," she exclaimed. "So I’m losing probably 90% or like 80% of what I make in sponsorships, so that hurts."

http://i.imgur.com/sK6Rxea.png

Spinning Shit - She didn't brand herself, she put brands on herself. There's a difference.

Yes, the UFC fucked over the fighters in the short term with this deal. I say short term because it will either work and fighters will adapt and make money in new ways, or it will fail leading to a mass exodus and the deal will go away. It is now time for these managers to earn their keep. They need to find revenue sources that aren’t dependent on just being a billboard, that was fairly easy to obtain with a fighter with Miesha's popularity, but now they have to develop relationships and show an actual return on investment when it comes to the partnership. Phone Post 3.0

Fighters were already showing a return on investment by companies willing to put their names on them for extended periods of time. Why set up an extra set of hoops for everyone (apart from the UFC) to jump through?

If you defend this deal, you're absolutely an anti-fighter fan. There's no two ways about it.

You can lose 80-90%...but please don't lose that butt. Phone Post 3.0

U

Fight

Cheap

(one way or another...)

Chris Camozzi just did an AMA on reddit and said he's only losing the scavenger sponsors who would jump on the shorts at the last minute based on his card placement. Basically the guys that were only interested in his shorts and not him as a fighter. He said when he gets a sponsor he considers himself a salesman to the product and they've been cultivating a relationship for a couple of years now in preparation of the change in the sponsorship system. Basically what a few others have said, they need to sell themselves, not their spot on the cards. He's still unsure how it's going to end up but he hopes bringing larger sponsors will ultimately benefit the fighters and raise the profile of the sport overall.

If you actually pay attention to the other major fighting orgs, they're all trying to do the same thing. OneFC says they've been getting tons of interest from cast off UFC sponsors but they're turning them away because they already have their top level sponsors like Disney and LG that they would prefer to keep. They said they would do an apparel deal if they could. Bellator already tried to do an exclusive energy drink sponsorship and would probably do more if they could. More and more it's looking like MMA is moving away from the old patch system, whether that's good for the fighters or not. Maybe the complaining will make them stop, but maybe not. fighters need to be like Camozzi and prepare for it.

LOL!

Utterly Hostile---Utterly Hostile

Tick Tock

The Truth Shall Set You Free!

Scott Boras--analyzes intricate data referred to as Sabermetrics to advocate for increased pay for his clients. . .

Fiduciary: "A person having duties involving good faith, trust, special confidence, and candor towards another."

"Fiduciary duties involve the twin obligations of the duty of loyalty and the duty of care. The duty of loyalty obligates the fiduciary to put the needs of the beneficiaries ahead of its own self-interest. The fiduciary is not to exploit the fiduciary relationship for its own benefit. The duty of loyalty is the basis of several more specific duties, such as the prohibition against self-dealing, the duty to disclose material facts, and duties involving conflicts of interest."

__________________________________________________________________________________

"Managers" advocating against your self interest do not know what a "fiduciary" is and should be fired immediately. Who needs enemies--with "friends" like that?

__________________________________________________________________________________

If your manager's main qualification is that he works for a potential sponsor, well, he's not managing you pal! He's using you cheap.

5 retweets 9 favorites
____________________________________________________________________________________

John Fosco, manager, is right about one thing--barriers to entry to becoming an MMA "manager" do not exist.

________________________________________________________________________________________

"I want you to understand this is going to be an adversarial relationship. . . If you expect the owners to like me, to praise me, to compliment me, you will be disappointed. In fact, if I'm elected and you find the owners telling you what a great guy I am, fire me! Don't hesitate, because it can't be that way if your director is doing his job." --Marvin Miller, MLBPA

Good thing dem tittays are paid for. Phone Post 3.0

time traveling 12er - Chris Camozzi just did an AMA on reddit and said he's only losing the scavenger sponsors who would jump on the shorts at the last minute based on his card placement. Basically the guys that were only interested in his shorts and not him as a fighter. He said when he gets a sponsor he considers himself a salesman to the product and they've been cultivating a relationship for a couple of years now in preparation of the change in the sponsorship system. Basically what a few others have said, they need to sell themselves, not their spot on the cards. He's still unsure how it's going to end up but he hopes bringing larger sponsors will ultimately benefit the fighters and raise the profile of the sport overall.

If you actually pay attention to the other major fighting orgs, they're all trying to do the same thing. OneFC says they've been getting tons of interest from cast off UFC sponsors but they're turning them away because they already have their top level sponsors like Disney and LG that they would prefer to keep. They said they would do an apparel deal if they could. Bellator already tried to do an exclusive energy drink sponsorship and would probably do more if they could. More and more it's looking like MMA is moving away from the old patch system, whether that's good for the fighters or not. Maybe the complaining will make them stop, but maybe not. fighters need to be like Camozzi and prepare for it.

Time travelling 12er

Thank you for this insight. Please accept a vote up!

This makes alot of sense

time traveling 12er - Chris Camozzi just did an AMA on reddit and said he's only losing the scavenger sponsors who would jump on the shorts at the last minute based on his card placement. Basically the guys that were only interested in his shorts and not him as a fighter. He said when he gets a sponsor he considers himself a salesman to the product and they've been cultivating a relationship for a couple of years now in preparation of the change in the sponsorship system. Basically what a few others have said, they need to sell themselves, not their spot on the cards. He's still unsure how it's going to end up but he hopes bringing larger sponsors will ultimately benefit the fighters and raise the profile of the sport overall.

I think the deal is overall good for the sport and the UFC brand. The more popular the UFC brand is the more attractive UFC fighters are to sponsor. The more they can charge for seminars. Etc...

I do think fighters need to get organized and have a stronger voice but ultimately I do think this will be good for the sport if done right. Phone Post 3.0

Really feel sorry for these athletes. Wish them all the best it's going to be a real struggle to make a living, I certainly don't envy their position.

Spinning Shit - She didn't brand herself, she put brands on herself. There's a difference.

Yes, the UFC fucked over the fighters in the short term with this deal. I say short term because it will either work and fighters will adapt and make money in new ways, or it will fail leading to a mass exodus and the deal will go away. It is now time for these managers to earn their keep. They need to find revenue sources that aren’t dependent on just being a billboard, that was fairly easy to obtain with a fighter with Miesha's popularity, but now they have to develop relationships and show an actual return on investment when it comes to the partnership. Phone Post 3.0

99.9% of the fighters will never be a brand. They will be a billboard.

time traveling 12er - Chris Camozzi just did an AMA on reddit and said he's only losing the scavenger sponsors who would jump on the shorts at the last minute based on his card placement. Basically the guys that were only interested in his shorts and not him as a fighter. He said when he gets a sponsor he considers himself a salesman to the product and they've been cultivating a relationship for a couple of years now in preparation of the change in the sponsorship system. Basically what a few others have said, they need to sell themselves, not their spot on the cards. He's still unsure how it's going to end up but he hopes bringing larger sponsors will ultimately benefit the fighters and raise the profile of the sport overall.

OneFC has been turning down in-cage sponsors (because they're full), not sponsors for their fighters, which they're still fully okay with as far as I know. So is Bellator. So is WSoF. So is Invicta.

The UFC is the only major org that has some sweeping exclusivity deal that reams the fighters. No one else has that, or a sponsor tax for that matter.

Spinning Shit - 
GroundStPound -
Spinning Shit -
GroundStPound -
JimmersonzGlove -
DalyDentedDecimated'sDome - 
JimmersonzGlove - Will esparza be making 2.5k for her next fight? Former champ to 2.5k ouch Phone Post 3.0

$1000 sundaes...

to getting a part time job on Sundays

lolz
This is laughabl,e these women could work at maccy d's and get paid more. Phone Post 3.0
What? Fucking Carmouche made 34k last month on the Mendes/Lamas card when she beat Murphy. I think Pena made 30k that night as well. Phone Post 3.0
But some will be on 8k+ 8 to win plus 2.5k sponsorship, if you are not fighting more than 3 times a year that's got to suck. Phone Post 3.0
8/8 is what you get when you first start in the UFC and haven't won a fight yet. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see them get that number up to 12/12 for the first fight. However, when you are just starting out as a prelim/FightPass fighter you are basically having a paid internship. I mean there really isn't any other organization out there where if you win your first 2 fights in you will make 45k. It's not great money, but as long as you avoid the really big cities you can have a very comfortable life of renting an apartment and training all day.

Remember even Conor McGregor was only making 12/12 for his second UFC fight which means that he was at 8/8 to start. By his 4th fight his base was already at 75/75 and since his next fight is in Vegas we will see what it is at on his 6th fight. Yes it's shitty to start, but if you win (especially in exciting fashion) you can make really good money starting towards the end of your 2nd year. Phone Post 3.0

So, basically, all that time you spent on the indies abusing your body and fighting to get to the top 2% of the sport, fighting to get to the major league, you were fighting to get to a paid internship. Got it.

Oh, and with 550 fighters on the roster and slightly fewer than 550 fights each year (remember, two fighters per fight), the average comes to just under two fights a year for people, not three. People should keep that in mind.

I never thought I'd say this a few years ago as I was a big supporter of the ufc.

But something Rogan said the other day made me realise that maybe zuffa doesn't want what is best to improve mma and maybe they only care about maximising short term profits before ditching the sport potentially destroying it in the process.

Is zuffa now bad for mma?

I haven't decided yet, the next year will be interesting. Phone Post 3.0

Profiting off a brand and then crying it's not fairrrr when the sponsors disappear.

If your sponsors think there is profit from staying with you then great but if the sponsor drops you then they were really just looking to get there brand exposed on TV and the fighter is not particularly relevant. The deal is not a great one as I was as shocked when the figures came out but moaning about losing 80% when most of that is earned from being in the UFC is just silly.

Managers will have to start selling there fighters from now on rather than the UFC and that can only be a good thing. Phone Post 3.0

Huey freman - I never thought I'd say this a few years ago as I was a big supporter of the ufc.

But something Rogan said the other day made me realise that maybe zuffa doesn't want what is best to improve mma and maybe they only care about maximising short term profits before ditching the sport potentially destroying it in the process.

Is zuffa now bad for mma?

I haven't decided yet, the next year will be interesting. Phone Post 3.0
I don't think they want to destroy the sport by any stretch of the imagination. They are really passionate about the sport and hope their legacy is they built something meaningful that becomes a mainstay in global culture. They have huge ambitions. Cashing out and ruining the brand isn't one of them. The Reebok deal helps the brand, but it doesn't help the fighters. At least in the short term. I believe in the long run it will but many of the fighters that are hurting right now will probably already be gone by that time. Phone Post 3.0