Missing Weight - Automatic Loss

its been over 20 years and fighters have been regularly missing weight for fights and nothing is being done to change it. 20-30% cuts in pay for a fight are not enough - the financial benefit of the heavy victory offsets the small temporary loss in wages. I hate massive weight cuts .. so i am biased. 

Maybe I am on an island, but this needs to be addressed more aggressively 

5 Likes

If one misses weight then an automatic win bonus should be given to the other and in most cases a NC should be given if the person that misses weight wins the fight.

1 Like

I understand your disapproval, and agree it’s stupid.  However, the bottom line is that their opponent gets to choose whether or not to fight, and most times they don’t get paid if they say no.  So, I don’t think punishing the missing weight fighter is the answer, I think a same day weigh in system is far more likely to have the impact you’re looking for.

YourStoryisCoolBro - 

I understand your disapproval, and agree it’s stupid.  However, the bottom line is that their opponent gets to choose whether or not to fight, and most times they don’t get paid if they say no.  So, I don’t think punishing the missing weight fighter is the answer, I think a same day weigh in system is far more likely to have the impact you’re looking for.

IMO there's too much pride and bravado to not to fight even when a fighter doesn't make it. ... I mean it's o OT 3 lbs, right? Ignoring the fact that one fighter cut 30lbs and the other 15lbs. We've all been there and it's rough. Agreed on the same day weigh ins, though. 

1 Like

I'd like to see hydration tests and everyone fights at their walkaround weight. But given our current system, I like Roxanne's suggestion - you start the fight a point down.

if they just pay a flat fight fee instead of that show/win horseshit, it’ll be solved. especially with some inept judge that never laced up a glove taking away HALF the money you were working for months to get.

do away with that garbage and heavily punish the offender until same-day weigh-ins is the norm. fucking ridiculous

1 Like

There was a promotion overseas that would dock you a point off your final score card per kilogram you missed weight by. I like that. Fine them and penalize them in the cage. 

1 Like
RockTheVote -

There was a promotion overseas that would dock you a point off your final score card per kilogram you missed weight by. I like that. Fine them and penalize them in the cage. 

Yeah I like that idea. I wonder how effective it is. The guy that missed weight needs to go out and try to finish. Don’t want to lose a decision and have that shit affecting your record? Make weight. 

I think the guy missing weight should have some of his pay garnished and if the weight is more than 2 pounds the guy who missed weight cannot be credited with a win,  only a nd.  The guy who made weight can get a win on his record and if he loses shouldn't be punished by losing his ranking.

No contest

I just made this up so be easy on me, but how bout something like…

Fighter A makes weight and fighter B misses.

Fighter A gets show money for both fighters if he does not want to take the fight. If he wants to continue on with the fight, fighter B who missed gets his win bonus with a win and that’s it… fighter A keeps show money for both. If fighter B loses, fighter A gets half of fighter B’s show money, plus his own show money and win bonus. So fighter B gets half of his show money and an L for his actions.

Something needs to get into these guys heads that it’s not ok to miss weight and I hate the decision the guys who make weight have to make when somebody else screws up and gives themselves an advantage at the same time.

I don’t think it would work.

Fighters who were going to miss weight would simply come up with another excuse – illness, injury, etc.

If pulling out of a fight generally led to a loss, you’d have fighters pushing through when they really shouldn’t. And you’d have fighters penalized who did nothing wrong.

has there ever been an analysis done on the win/loss record of fights where a participant missed weight? OK back to the OG for me

I fought a guy who missed weight by like 4 pounds. The commission gave me half of his purse and he was weak from trying to make weight. Easy fight. 

PTA -

has there ever been an analysis done on the win/loss record of fights where a participant missed weight? OK back to the OG for me

Yes, and the numbers aren’t good. I can’t remember exactly but it’s like 70% of the time the guy who misses wins. 

KirkBJJ - 
PTA -

Yes, and the numbers aren’t good. I can’t remember exactly but it’s like 70% of the time the guy who misses wins. 

That feels right. Thanks for the input. Curious how that compares to who the consensus thought would win. As in did the fighters that missed weight over index in wins versus what was expected? 

MMA Playwright -

I fought a guy who missed weight by like 4 pounds. The commission gave me half of his purse and he was weak from trying to make weight. Easy fight. 

I see it your way, too.  BUT the numbers don't lie.  The overwhelming majority of missed weight fights go in favour of the guy who missed weight.  It's an unfair advantage the vast majority of the time.  Glad to hear it worked out in your favour, though.  I wish the numbers were reversed.

If someone misses weight they should lose the win bonus.

Even if they win the fight, they don't get the win bonus.

Captain Canuck - 

If someone misses weight they should lose the win bonus.

Even if they win the fight, they don't get the win bonus.

i guess that goes back to the initial question that i had - does the win bonus mean more than the victory itself. I know that it depends on the individual situation, but a fighters record means a lot and a loss regardless of whether your opposition missed weight is still a loss

KirkBJJ - I just made this up so be easy on me, but how bout something like...

Fighter A makes weight and fighter B misses.

Fighter A gets show money for both fighters if he does not want to take the fight. If he wants to continue on with the fight, fighter B who missed gets his win bonus with a win and that’s it… fighter A keeps show money for both. If fighter B loses, fighter A gets half of fighter B’s show money, plus his own show money and win bonus. So fighter B gets half of his show money and an L for his actions.

Something needs to get into these guys heads that it’s not ok to miss weight and I hate the decision the guys who make weight have to make when somebody else screws up and gives themselves an advantage at the same time.

I guess the only drawback I can think of here is that with fighter A getting show money for both, he may not be compelled to accept the fight. Let’s assume that salary for both of them is 30/30. If fighter A doesn’t fight, he gets 60k either way. It obviously works out for fighter A and I believe would be effective on fighter B, but the organization putting the fight together will not benefit from it. They will essentially be paying out 60k for a fight that didn’t happen. That’s the only issue I see, but I do like the idea of fighter A benefitting more from fighter B missing weight. Either that or take 50-60 percent of the purse instead of the standard 20 percent.