misunderstanding my online ranking system....

You guys are all misunderstanding what's going on here.

My online ranking is not for dudes that just watch tapes and don't actually train. But I do see how you guys could get the wrong idea. "Online Anything" always sounds fishy.

The 10th planet online rankning system is for 10th planet affiliate students that don't have a black belt instructor. Most of my affiliate instructors are browns and purples.

Once a student is approved for evaluation by his instructor, he then has to submit 15 five minute videos of rolling and drilling techniques. Once all 15 videos are approved by the 10th planet council, he gets his blue. But he can't submit any videos for evaluation unless his instructor thinks he's ready for promotion.

My online ranking is also for people that don't live anywhere near a 10th Planet affiliate, and are stuck training at a local gi school or mma academy because they have no other choice.

These are the people at traditional bjj schools and fight clubs that buy my books and dvds. You know them, the rubber guard outcasts that can't wait to jump ship as soon as a 10thpjj affiliate pops up in their town.

This is for them.

There is no way anyone is gonna get ranked by just watching videos and practicing in their living room with their sister, that's not what this is all about :)

How do you go about choosing your affiliates? I thought I read somewhere that they choose you? How do you ensure that your system is taught with integrity? I guess that last question goes to anyone who has affiliates.

I'm not trying to knock you. I just know that your system is very specific and I was wondering how you keep it in "pure" through your other schools.

Eddie, I sent you a PM

Are you going to be at the abu dhabi trials in LA on the 23rd of May?

rolijuju - Eddie, I sent you a PM

Are you going to be at the abu dhabi trials in LA on the 23rd of May?

Nope, gonna be in Vegas working the UFC :(

I don't ever check my mma.tv messages, i gotta start tho :)

EddieBravo - 
There is no way anyone is gonna get ranked by just watching videos and practicing in their living room with their sister, that's not what this is all about :)

Isn't that how Ari Bolden got his Purple Shirt?

MurdochIRL - How do you go about choosing your affiliates? I thought I read somewhere that they choose you? How do you ensure that your system is taught with integrity? I guess that last question goes to anyone who has affiliates.

I'm not trying to knock you. I just know that your system is very specific and I was wondering how you keep it in "pure" through your other schools.

Before anyone becomes an affiliate they must have the 10thplanet strategy, terminology, and philosophy down. They must have at least 4 years of experience in jiu jitsu or wrestling or judo or sambo. I am not looking for world champions to run an affiliate. All that is important to me is that they can teach the 10th Planet system correctly to anyone in their region who is interested in learning the system.

If you know the system well and have the ability to teach it, then you too can become part of the family :)

HOG watching LOL

comedy gold

so you dont promote by vid or you do and are just better at then the gracies.?

Damn. I really was hoping you would be there. I need to catch you for a private sometime.

Darcebrabo - 
EddieBravo - 

Isn't that how Ari Bolden got his Purple Shirt?

Jesus man, let it go...

Can't a guy just promote an unskilled, total fraud to Purple Belt without people jumping all over him...?

I dont think many people had the wrong idea

EddieBravo -
My online ranking is also for people that don't live anywhere near a 10th Planet affiliate, and are stuck training at a local gi school or mma academy because they have no other choice.

These are the people at traditional bjj schools and fight clubs that buy my books and dvds. You know them, the rubber guard outcasts that can't wait to jump ship as soon as a 10thpjj affiliate pops up in their town.

This is for them.

This part is funny to me. You'd have to be a pretty big prick to undermine your own instructor/academy by seeking outside validation through 10th Planet (way up there on its pedestal) and then creonte once one of their schools popped up near you. So much for loyalty and camaraderie.

I plan on training both......does that make me creonte aswell???

EddieBravo - 
MurdochIRL - How do you go about choosing your affiliates? I thought I read somewhere that they choose you? How do you ensure that your system is taught with integrity? I guess that last question goes to anyone who has affiliates.

Before anyone becomes an affiliate they must have the 10thplanet strategy, terminology, and philosophy down. They must have at least 4 years of experience in jiu jitsu or wrestling or judo or sambo. I am not looking for world champions to run an affiliate. All that is important to me is that they can teach the 10th Planet system correctly to anyone in their region who is interested in learning the system.If you know the system well and have the ability to teach it, then you too can become part of the family :)

So do you think that your system can effectively be learned through your books and dvd's? Or do your affiliate school teachers have to train with you for a certain amount of time?

Completely unrelated, do you plan on having a school in Vegas? I know you're here for most Grappler's and the UFCs.

The promotion part itself is really no different than when an instructor (who isnt a black belt), has his "senior" teacher come in for a seminar and promotion.

In these situations, the black belt instructor will probably just look at the student (who the lower ranking instructor recommends) for a couple of minutes and then decide whether or not to promote him, much like what Eddie is doing when he views the videos of the students.

In fact, Eddie's way of viewing the video probably gives him a bit more time to study the game compared to the visiting black belt.

The SBG allows brownbelts promote bluebelts... why not trust your affiliates as much?

look, i would never expect a gi forum to be on my side, in the martial arts world, it's a known fact that i think the gi is not as fun as no gi.

But your gi gods, the gracies, grade online just like i'm doing now so get used to it, technology evolves, one day you must too. Plus the Gracies grade online to brown, I only go to purple. How can you say anything negative about me ranking online? If it wasn't for the gracies none of us would even be here. They grade online to brown, what is there to say after that?

"I can't believe this, after all the years of wrestling in a singlet, for chrissakes, you won the Nationals in a singlet! and now you're training without it? Saying blasphamous things about it? You are not wrestling if you don't have the singlet on" -Dan Gable :-D  

hmmmm.... what about someone who lives in the L.A. area, near enough to 10thp.  but trains at another gym?  can he get a 10th p ranking through the online test?

wot a moran

Eddie, I am really hoping you can clear something up for me.

I've always felt that the difference between brazillian Jiu jitsu and other grappling arts is it's heirachy of positional dominance.

For instance, in Judo a pin for over 25 seconds gets you the win, where as in BJJ knee on belly, full mount and side mount all mean different things. The game has never been about the moves themselves.

That's why it's not really fair to call an armbar in Judo a BJJ move, or a takedown in BJJ a wrestlers shot. For the most part it is about grappling, and the rules make the game. Not the moves, and not the mentallity.

I've always figured that is why Ricardo DeLaRiva doesn't call his style a system or why PeDePano doesn't call his moves a system.

I've read all your books, and as far as I can tell, your general concepts are the same as typical BJJ concepts. Take away space on offence, create space on defence, break posture, go for subs, etc. You say you add more details with things like over and underhooks, but when do details like those stop being good ideas, and start being new systems. For instance, Carlos Machado offers dozens of tips and details that help me out grappling wise. Can his grappling be considered a new system?

So to clarify, most people would agree that moves do not make for a grappling style, and that seems to be what you use to set your system apart and give people belts for. Knowing moves. BJJ being pretty comprehensive some people will use over/ unders, some will use double wrist control. Choosing one instead of another doesn't really make for a new system IMO. It's just preference, and at the end of the day we are in a competitive sport where the most efficienct technique wins.

That said, you say that your main reason for offering online testing is in order to provide an avenue to guys who are grappling in a traditional Brazillian Jiu jitsu school. After taking my points into consideration why do you think it's neccessary to provide a seperate belt rank to people who are already training with a qualified instructor? Hypothetically if one of those guys trained BJJ for 5 years without ever taking off the gi, he would still go into the advanced division if he competed nogi. Could you still justify giving them a seperate belt for doing moves that you like?

Thanks for reading.