MMA in olympics

I heard several years ago that Pankration was going to be featured in the Athens Olympics. Is this true, and am I an idiot for not knowing the answer to this question already? Don't answer the last part.

I think that the rumours were false.

I don't think we'll be seeing that happen for at least the next 20 years.

It was all bullshit!

I don't think we'll be seeing this happen in the next 100 years

i heard it's supposed to be only an exhibition event this year.

considering pankration is greek, i could see it happening... i thought ken shamrock and sheldon marr had something to do with it... at least that was the rumor a couple of years ago

I saw an advertisement in GRAPPLING magazine, for Sheldon Marr's grappling seminar on video. It said "Sheldon Marr is the head coach for team USA in the 2004 Olympic games in the event of Pankration."

the Olympics are overhyped, biased crap

Don't think it will happen!

I did a search on the topic and found this...

"Grandmaster Publisher Craig Smith, an early supporter of the IFPA, discovered that the IFPA's claims that pankration was to be re-entered into the Olympics in 2004 at the Games in Athens were false, he withdrew his support and ran a series exposing the fraudulent claims. Resignations followed, and the movement that had once seemed so promising now seemed to be just another scam by promoters interested in making money off the dreams of martial athletes around the world."

If you want to read more copy&paste this link...

http://www.pankration.homestead.com/Roadtotheolympics.html

Edit

Edit

it would suck it would be so watered down. sub grappling would be a thought but mma would look rediculous in a point karate type format.

You know you've been MMA'ing too much when:

"You forget that MMA is a smaller sport than ping pong and actually think you should renegotiate".

'Nuff said.

Yeah, it would take too long and be soo watered down that's it's just not worth it. Imagine having to wear those rediculous TKD olympic outfits?

Maybe subfighting, never MMA.

Craig Smith is the president of the World Pankration Federation, Craig, Myself and several others found out that the Promoter that got Sheldon Marr, Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn and others all excited about the fact that Pankration was going into the Olympics was lying about it. I was demoted from one of the coachs for the team when I confronted him (JOHN TOWNSLEY). At the Pan American Pankration tournament hosted by Ken Shamrock in California Townsley asked me to help run the tournament. He then wanted to put professionals up against some amatuer very young Canadian team. Guys that hadn't earned there spot by going to the Nationals just very good pro's against teanagers. I protested, I told him he was exploiting and cheating the canadian fighters. I talked to the coach Alfie Del Terza and told him what this so called represntative of the Olympic quest was trying to perpetuate. The Canadian coach told Townsley that his team would only fight the legitamate winners from the United States National Qualifying Tournament. Townsley was pissed but the right thing was done. The Combat-Do team made up most of the US National Team. Shonie Carter, Jimmy Theobald,
George Spacek,RolondoHigueros,Jason,Josh,Maribel and Tracy Schirmer, Brian Gassaway.and our team beat the Canadian team fair and square. When this tournament happened Shonie had not been in the UFC yet.Townsley knowing that there was no-chance of being an Olympic sport perpetuated the lie for a very long time. He built up the hopes and dreams of young athlete's and coachs, including myself. Many times I have had to tell people that I will not be involved in the Olympics and every time it hurts. Master Bob

Craig Smith is the president of the World Pankration Federation, Craig, Myself and several others found out that the Promoter that got Sheldon Marr, Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn and others all excited about the fact that Pankration was going into the Olympics was lying about it. I was demoted from one of the coachs for the team when I confronted him (JOHN TOWNSLEY). At the Pan American Pankration tournament hosted by Ken Shamrock in California Townsley asked me to help run the tournament. He then wanted to put professionals up against some amatuer very young Canadian team. Guys that hadn't earned there spot by going to the Nationals just very good pro's against teanagers. I protested, I told him he was exploiting and cheating the canadian fighters. I talked to the coach Alfie Del Terza and told him what this so called represntative of the Olympic quest was trying to perpetuate. The Canadian coach told Townsley that his team would only fight the legitamate winners from the United States National Qualifying Tournament. Townsley was pissed but the right thing was done. The Combat-Do team made up most of the US National Team. Shonie Carter, Jimmy Theobald,
George Spacek,RolondoHigueros,Jason,Josh,Maribel and Tracy Schirmer,Pearl Gonzales and Tony Cortez.and our team beat the Canadian team fair and square. When this tournament happened Shonie had not been in the UFC yet.Townsley knowing that there was no-chance of being an Olympic sport perpetuated the lie for a very long time. He built up the hopes and dreams of young athlete's and coachs, including myself. Many times I have had to tell people that I will not be involved in the Olympics and every time it hurts. Master Bob

ttt

ttt