MMA Performance Indicators?

HULC - 
banco - 
Leigh - High athletic performance doesn't correlate anywhere near as closely to MMA as it does to NFL. The top MMA guys are undoubtedly athletic but they all beat bigger, stronger guys.

The best you can do is have minimum thresholds but they'd be pretty low. How much can Anderson Silva bench? What is Cain Velasquez's max pull ups? What is John Jone's squat? I'm sure they can do respectable numbers but nothing like NFL athletes. I mean sure, if you can't do one single pull up, you're not going to cut it but its not like you need to be a super athlete.

Power at threshold is about the only physical attribute that is a prerequisite. I reckon all the champs could put out at least 2.5 watts for every kg of bodyweight and maintain it for half hour. Considerably more in the lower weight classes.Phone Post

I agree the correlation isn't as high with MMA as it with NFL (even within NFL I'd guess it varies quite a bit by position). Isn't a lot of the progress since ufc 1 down to the increasing athleticism of the top mma fighters?

As for Jones I think he's probably the best case study of how natural athleticism can make a difference (I don't think it's a coincidence that both of his brothers play in the NFL). Brock Lesnar had a decent run in the HW division mostly on the basis of his strength.

If you were to take say 1000 12 year olds and get them to do a half dozen tests (vertical jump etc.) you'd have a pretty good idea which of them would likely develop into good mma fighters if they applied themselves.

I think you'd be surprised.

Bas Rutten was a weak and sickly 12 year old who only got into training because he was bullied so much. BJ Penn was notoriously bad at training and i doubt he scored particularly well in his vertical (you didn't mention any other tests). Joe Calzaghe (i know he's a boxer, but i think the point stands) was bullied as a kid and was physically weak before he got into boxing. Even as an adult he wasn't very muscular and i doubt his vertical was at all impressive. Roy Nelson looks like his vertical would barely break double digits. Royce Gracie was neither strong nor explosive. Anderson Silva only became dominant in his 30s and again i doubt he would score much better than many other MMA athletes that he would destroy in a fight.

The list could go on.

I think you have to take some of the "I was terrible at sports and bullied" stories with a grain of salt.

What's the difference between tactics and strategy?

Alternatively, strategy is the overall plan and tactics are the methods used to achieve specific tasks. In the MMA context, fighter A's strategy may be to take the fight to the ground, because fighter A believes he has an advantage there. The tactics used by fighter A will likely include closing the distance, various takedowns, passing the guard, etc.

Is there a real difference between skill and tactics?

banco - 
HULC - 
banco - 
Leigh - High athletic performance doesn't correlate anywhere near as closely to MMA as it does to NFL. The top MMA guys are undoubtedly athletic but they all beat bigger, stronger guys.

The best you can do is have minimum thresholds but they'd be pretty low. How much can Anderson Silva bench? What is Cain Velasquez's max pull ups? What is John Jone's squat? I'm sure they can do respectable numbers but nothing like NFL athletes. I mean sure, if you can't do one single pull up, you're not going to cut it but its not like you need to be a super athlete.

Power at threshold is about the only physical attribute that is a prerequisite. I reckon all the champs could put out at least 2.5 watts for every kg of bodyweight and maintain it for half hour. Considerably more in the lower weight classes.Phone Post

I agree the correlation isn't as high with MMA as it with NFL (even within NFL I'd guess it varies quite a bit by position). Isn't a lot of the progress since ufc 1 down to the increasing athleticism of the top mma fighters?

As for Jones I think he's probably the best case study of how natural athleticism can make a difference (I don't think it's a coincidence that both of his brothers play in the NFL). Brock Lesnar had a decent run in the HW division mostly on the basis of his strength.

If you were to take say 1000 12 year olds and get them to do a half dozen tests (vertical jump etc.) you'd have a pretty good idea which of them would likely develop into good mma fighters if they applied themselves.

I think you'd be surprised.

Bas Rutten was a weak and sickly 12 year old who only got into training because he was bullied so much. BJ Penn was notoriously bad at training and i doubt he scored particularly well in his vertical (you didn't mention any other tests). Joe Calzaghe (i know he's a boxer, but i think the point stands) was bullied as a kid and was physically weak before he got into boxing. Even as an adult he wasn't very muscular and i doubt his vertical was at all impressive. Roy Nelson looks like his vertical would barely break double digits. Royce Gracie was neither strong nor explosive. Anderson Silva only became dominant in his 30s and again i doubt he would score much better than many other MMA athletes that he would destroy in a fight.

The list could go on.

I think you have to take some of the "I was terrible at sports and bullied" stories with a grain of salt.

As opposed to trusting the opinion of a stranger over the internet?

Can you articulate the difference between skill and tactics?

Not being able to use a tactic because one isn't as skilled suggests there isn't a difference. You could say skill is the ability to use a tactic against a resisting opponent, but that doesn't mean there is a real difference between the two.

Oh my fucking god are we really going to make this an issue?

YOU STARTED IT!

Saying "skill is the ability to use a tactic" does more than suggest there is a difference.

NeoSpartan - Oh my fucking god are we really going to make this an issue?

You have no respect for cognitive reverie.

If you can tell me the next line id be impressed.

In the meantime, as Todd suggests, don't ask a convoluted question if you want a perspicuous answer.

If skill is the ability to use a tactic against a resisting opponent, there is no real world difference.

Lol. Just like there's no difference between gas and my car?

Is deciding which tactics to use a skill?

Is deciding which gas to use a car?

PS I'd say deciding which tactic to use is also a tactic.

419 - Can you articulate the difference between skill and tactics?

i don't think that "tactics" and "skills" differ that much....

i could be wrong, but i think that you're talking about "strategy" and "tactics/skills"

Military perspective, tactics are a set of proven principles I.e. a double leg takedown if hit properly is a very high percentage takedown, if it isn't hit properly then it is not. I believe that sets tactics and skills apart.

Again flanking in a battle is proven as a very good manoeuvre tactically speaking but if the men involved in the flank do not posses the skills to accurately shoot the enemy then the flank being a sound tactic is useless.

I would say skills and tactics are different, but if you we're to say it you should word it as your tactics need to be based off of your skill set. Phone Post 3.0

Skill is how good you are at doing an action, tactics are what actions you choose to use to achieve your aim.

You could be an excellent striker (skills) but your tactics for the fight might to go for the takedown (for whatever reason).

There is an obvious difference between skill and tactics.

In military terms tactics are what you use on the battlefield to win the battle, while strategy is how you conduct the campaign and what goals you are trying to achieve. In MMA terms i think they are effectively the same thing.

Strategy = overall gameplan

Tactic = method of achieving a task

Skill = relative ability to implement a tactic or set of tactics against a resisting opponent

Using MMA as an example, a strategy could be ground and pound, which would consist of several tactics, including different takedowns. Skill would be actually putting the other guy on his back and hitting him until the fight is stopped.

Successful fighters are trained athletes who are far more skilled, and are also in better physical condition, than the average cubicle worker. That doesn't mean the guy who benches more will automatically win, but let's not pretend that being stronger and having better cardio isn't an advantage, assuming the match-up is competitive skill wise.