Modern era of MMA smashes the BJJ guard ?

So what do you guys think? Has the modern era of MMA smashed the traditional BJJ guard? Check the Sonnen/Miller fight. The fight is pretty representative of how a good ground and pound just demolishes the guard. Seriously, how many fighters out there are kicking ass off of their backs? Any names come to mind? For the most part, it's become more of a matter of survival than anything else.

Yeah, Maia had nothing to offer Sonnen's superior wrestling and GnP. And Filho couldn't do anything either. BJJ is dead.

Louis you are a idiot go to bed and rubber your nuts in your mouth

Thanks Neckcrank. I love u too.

Louis Ho - Thanks Neckcrank. I love u too.

love you too but for real terrible thread

Maia disagrees.

Ask Maia next time your in his guard!

I think the Miller/Sonnen fight had more to do with the fact that Dan was gasping for air before the end of the first round. I hope for his sake he was sick or something because no one's conditioning should be that bad if they are on the main card.

"For the most part, it's become more of a matter of survival than anything else."

isnt that the intent of the guard.

I dont believe that modern MMA has smashed the BJJ guard. I think it is more of the modern MMA fighters not using the guard as it is ment to be used. Even in the old Mario Sperry instructionals Mario points this out. Either the guard has to be closed and the bottom fighter has to tie up the top man and keep the top mans head close to him to prevent blows from being rained down on him. If the guard is open then the bottom man has to creat distance to not get hit. This tradition of keeping the guard open and just saying flat on your back is what is not working. Of course utilizing new guard techniques like the rubber guard and positions like mission control and chill zone only increase the defensive nature of the guard. The guard is a defensive position first and foremost and a base to improve the position and be able to move to a more offensive position.

The difference in todays game is that mostly only the elite bjj players can consistently play effectively off their backs at the elite level of mma,while regular mma fighters that have only been training bjj for possibly 4 or 5 years (not at a elite bjj level) cannot play guard effectively at those elite levels of mma.

In other words you have to be a bad ass elite bjj player like a damian maia inorder to make guard play work at the higher levels of mma.

Newaza freak - The difference in todays game is that mostly only the elite bjj players can consistently play effectively off their backs at the elite level of mma,while regular mma fighters that have only been training bjj for possibly 4 or 5 years (not at a elite bjj level) cannot play guard effectively at those elite levels of mma.

In other words you have to be a bad ass elite bjj player like a damian maia inorder to make guard play work at the higher levels of mma.

Voted up. Only a select few can pull off fighting from the guard w/o absorbing a lot of punishment. Even a great like Nog has absorbed so much while playing a great guard game...

"In other words you have to be a bad ass elite bjj player like a damian maia inorder to make guard play work at the higher levels of mma."

i gotta side with gg on this,you need to keep your head tight to him,or use your legs to keep distance.wrap an arm to prevent getting punched.the sports end of bjj leaves you open for taking the shots.

12 - "In other words you have to be a bad ass elite bjj player like a damian maia inorder to make guard play work at the higher levels of mma."

i gotta side with gg on this,you need to keep your head tight to him,or use your legs to keep distance.wrap an arm to prevent getting punched.the sports end of bjj leaves you open for taking the shots.so know, you dont need to be elite
just train smart

I would have to disagree with 12. I think that the guard can and should be a lot more than just a position to survive. But newazafreak has a point. You gotta be pretty badass to have a good guard in MMA. But I think it goes beyond that. Even badass grapplers are getting their faces smashed in MMA. Grapplegod made a good point about what Sperry said in his old MMA tapes. Although Sperry's MMA guard was pretty bad, his philosophy makes 100% sense. I think it comes down to the failure of most guards to effectively tie up the top man, while trying to sweep or submit. Ivan Salavery comes to mind as someone who atleast seemed to have the right idea for an MMA type guard.

Louis Ho - I would have to disagree with 12. I think that the guard can and should be a lot more than just a position to survive. But newazafreak has a point. You gotta be pretty badass to have a good guard in MMA. But I think it goes beyond that. Even badass grapplers are getting their faces smashed in MMA. Grapplegod made a good point about what Sperry said in his old MMA tapes. Although Sperry's MMA guard was pretty bad, his philosophy makes 100% sense. I think it comes down to the failure of most guards to effectively tie up the top man, while trying to sweep or submit. Ivan Salavery comes to mind as someone who atleast seemed to have the right idea for an MMA type guard.

these are the oldmans thoughts,not mine. he could be wrong.
at 135lbs,he used it to tire out his opponent.the 1 thing
i like about eds positions is that they could be used the same way.except the rules dont allow it.ck out the combatives dvd set.

Not quite sure what you meant there, 12.

Louis Ho - Not quite sure what you meant there, 12.

yes i do lack the skills to convey my thoughts.
the oldman used it for survival.some of eds positons are good for survival.the rules dont allow you just to survive.

Demian M. Aoki,Nog brothers,Anderson Silva,Fedor, Barnett

If you don't put in the mat time, don't expect to have a Maia-esque guard regardless of how you play it. I love the 10th Planet system, and have used it with success at tournaments. Is it for everyone, fucking of course not.

I wonder how many of the guys that hate on 10th Planet so hard are cleaning house in tournaments and fights with their own guard/JJ? I have a feeling some of the skeptic are mere armchair theoreticians. All talk, no walk.