More knowledge Ryron/Rener or Danaher?

He was serious as a heart attack…and wait for it…

Some BJJ nerds said the song was HOT.

watch your mouth

I synchronize swim your ass to Bolivia

You BJJ LARPers crack me up. Yes BJJ can be used in a real fight. Same as boxing, wrestling, Judo, karate, and other combat sports. But rolling at the academy isn’t fighting, nor is BJJ tournament competition. Nor is boxing sparring or karate sparring or a wrestling practice or match. Actual fighting is a lot different than a Gracie challenge match with predetermined rules. Where are these street fights all these BJJers are getting into occurring nowadays?

If you think that someone with a solid year of BJJ/GJJ doesn’t have a massive edge over the average person you may fight in the street, then I question where you are training.

5 Likes

Who said that? Not me

It was pretty strongly implied in you post that you don’t seem to think that BJJ is relevant in a real/street fight. If you meant something else, I missed it.

Either way, I can assure you that it works fantastic in an actual fight.

3 Likes

No. I said simply that BJJ is not fighting. The activity of doing or competing in BJJ does not equal fighting. Just like wrestling is not fighting and Judo is not fighting.

1 Like

Okay, BJJ competitions are not fighting, but BJJ is still fantastic shit without a ruleset and is absolutely a main ingredient in straight up dominating the average motherfucker in a street/real fight.

1 Like

Are you a street fighter? Yes I believe BJJ gives someone a huge advantage in a street fight, especially against an average person.

I have been in two “street” fights since training BJJ. Both times the other guys were fit, and extremely confident thinking they were going to kick my ass. Your typical dude who thinks he is tough. One dude was my size, the other was way fucking bigger than me. On both occasions they were dealt with as if they were small children. I was able to fully decide how the fight went and absolutely dominated both of them. They stood no chance. None. There is zero question that BJJ was the difference.

So, no competitions are not a fight. That in no way takes away from how good BJJ works in a real fight.

9 Likes

Never claimed nor did I imply it isn’t effective in a fight. Training in a combat sport will absolutely give you an advantage over a non-trained person.

Exactly. Knowing BJJ is like playing with children in a self defense situation.
You cannot compare it to other martial arts because it has a very specific, efficient strategy and hierarchy for approaching an actual fight. No other martial art ever did this Effectively prior to BJJ.
A lot of revisionists on here hating.

1 Like

Did anyone try and bite off your balls?

1 Like

Some of you are having a real hard time with this.

No one here said BJJ is not effective in a one on one fight.

A statement that I made was “BJJ is not fighting”. Meaning the act of doing, practicing, training, competing, whatever, BJJ is not fighting. Nor is wrestling. Nor is boxing. Nor is karate. Nor is Judo. Nor is any single martial art/combat sport. It is not the definition of fighting, not the essence of fighting, doesn’t involve the many disparate and changing variables of fighting.

BJJers are not fighters simply because they practice BJJ. Having a strategy for a fight is good, but doesn’t on its own make one a fighter.
And just because you consider BJJ to be the best art to use in a fight doesn’t make it fighting.

Fighting is it’s own separate activity, with no rules, sometimes involving foreign objects like weapons. It’s ugly and dangerous and unpredictable and stupid to do for its own sake.

I’ve been training in BJJ for almost 20 years. I love it. I believe in its efficacy. And I enjoy the lore of the Gracie challenge, etc.

3 Likes

I have no dog in this fight…but I think it’s you missing what people are saying.

Where does one go to practice “fighting”?

A lot of you can’t see the forest for the trees and bicker over and over about insignificant details.

Getting into a fight regardless of the whats and wheres about it, makes you a fighter for however long it lasts.

There are many arts that are good to have in your toolbag. BJJ happens to be a paricularly good tool to have regardless of whether Danaher or Rener personally taught it to you.

4 Likes

Fight Club.

I take it all back. BJJ is fighting.

I won’t lie…you made me laugh out loud.

Well-played.

2 Likes

Happy to help.

1 Like

In my opinion the best instruction and the most knowledgeable instructors are the Mendes brothers. Their knowledge is incredibly deep, they have been training for a long time, and they have both put it on the line and won on the biggest stage numerous times. They know what works under pressure.And their instruction is excellent. I really like the way Rafa teaches especially.

3 Likes