More knowledge Ryron/Rener or Danaher?

Cool. I have a couple of their instructionals that are in my que. I have to get through a few others first.

I think youā€™ll like them. They give a ton of detail without being overly verbose and their English is excellent.

1 Like

Awesome. Iā€™ve got Guiā€™s Understanding The Distance From Top, and, Understanding The Distance From Guard. I was optimistic that theyā€™d be good videos and youā€™re making me more so.

2 Likes

I also recommend Rafaā€™s Armbar Master Class. Itā€™s expensive but has changed a lot of how I do things with the armbar. And itā€™s got a ton of great content. Itā€™s on AOJplus

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation. I have Danaherā€™s Enter The System Armbars insructional. Have you watched that one? If so, do you prefer one over the other?

Compare and contrast? :grinning:

Yes Iā€™ve seen Danaherā€™s armbar one. I liked it. Iā€™m still getting through Rafaā€™s but itā€™s awesome. The Danaher one is great but itā€™s all no-gi oriented, which is fine but I train in the gi as well. Rafaā€™s teaching style is less lecture and more down to earth, more conversational, and the footage of him rolling and applying the armbar in matches is jaw dropping at times. My favorite Danaher armbar material is actually in a section of Feet to Floor 3.

1 Like

Yeah, Danaher is my favorite instructor but most of his material is nogi, and most of my training is in the gi. Thatā€™s just the schedule at my school. I wish Danaher did more gi instructionals.

1 Like

His Feet to Floor stuff is gi. Itā€™s really good.

3 Likes

Awesome. I have it but havenā€™t watched it yet.

1 Like

John bounced before his knees were crippled. He supposedly used to hold pads at Renzoā€™s years ago. I wouldnā€™t use him as my striking coach but when it comes to grappling for MMA and wrestling against the wall there is no one even close to his knowledge level on the entire planet.

Itā€™s also kept very quiet but heā€™s beat up quite a few people in the streets of NYC before you had 100 cameras on you at all times.

1 Like

And Rickson is 400-0.

Iā€™m sure he can defend himself quite wellā€¦but I donā€™t believe all the stories and hoopla. You ask my students and Iā€™m a world beater too.

Ermm, judo: grab, then throw on head. Repeat and rinse.

1 Like

efficiency!

I think the issue with the guard is viewing it as a primary offensive position. The guard is where you go when you have to be on your back. It shouldnā€™t be a location you voluntarily pursue.

9 Likes

Agreed , itā€™s a place where you should have options but should be trying to avoid

I use deep half for pure Jiu Jitsu, but itā€™s terrible for self defense and MMA because youā€™re gonna get punched repeatedly in the face.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen it work ok in MMA. Werdum has pretty successful using it. IMHO, itā€™s about when you use it vs. the technique itself.

1 Like

That is exactly what I am challenging, I donā€™t think that is right. I think a properly used deep half can be useful in both self defense and MMA. I mean, if you stay down there like an idiot, yes, you will get punched in the face. And no, I donā€™t think it is the optimal place you want to be, but, if you end up on bottom and use it to transition, what is the problem?

If you do it properly, you are elevating your opponents hips. If they throw anything they either canā€™t get any power on it, or you shift your hips (which shifts them) and they miss or post out, and you take whichever exit opened up in the process and either get on top or get their back. I use it a ton, and that is basically the game for me. Get them to move and whichever way they go, I have an out, and you are in no way worried about getting hit if you do it right.

I think it has its place in MMA and self defense, but everyone says ā€œit doesnā€™t work in MMA/self defenseā€ and move on. I think it needs to be reexplored as a viable option, assuming you know what the fuck you are doing.

Again, I know it is controversial, but as a deep half player, I donā€™t see the issue. And no, I am not saying if you get in a street fight you should jump to deep half, but if you are on bottom, and know the game, I think it can be super effective as a way to transition from bottom to top.

1 Like

This. I think as a sweep and way to improve position when on bottom, it is great. Some transitions to some foot and leg attacks can be some offense from there, but mostly the sweeps I think are perfectly good for MMA/self defense if done right.

Watch Rogerio Nogueira use deep half to sweep wrestler Jason Brilz ā€¦mastery .

3 Likes