Mount: Transition or Hold?

for laters

I think Chris' high mount is being upright and not high up on the ribcage?

When you are in low mount. your toes should be curled under his butt and your knees pinched to his sides. You should not be any wider. If he can get an elbow on the inside of your knee he will be able to drive it down and out to create space.

I feel the opposite of you in terms of the knee position - I think you should keep the knees wide to create a strong base so you don't get rolled. The only time you pinch is when you start feeling the upa coming. If they turn to the side you do a one knee up mount(not sure if this is what people call s-mount?).

mrgoodarmbar - When you are in high mount, his hip bumps no longer have effect. You are also too high up for him to get a lapel grip and have an angle to control your posture.

The hips are unable to power his bridge, BUT being high up into the armpits does make you more vulnerable to being rolled. He has some choices, but most often it comes down to either (1) he uses a leg swing, or (2) he uses the bridge to turn himself over, and in either case you can be rolled off. In my book, this all falls under the category "variations of Upa". Sorry if that was unclear.

When you are in low mount. your toes should be curled under his butt and your knees pinched to his sides. You should not be any wider. If he can get an elbow on the inside of your knee he will be able to drive it down and out to create space.

THIS, on the other hand, will get you rolled. When I use the low mount, I have a few leg positions that I use. Typically, it's a choice between (A) soles of the feet together, knees flared like training wheels, or (B) deep hook, with the sole of my foot driving towards the ceiling. I also agree with Wutang about legs here. (And Wutang -- yes, mount with one leg up is one of the two positions that people call "s-mount").

Yes, elbow/knee is more exposed here, and it's important not to give him the opportunity to begin creating space to move his hips, BUT that is better achieved with an arm than with the knees. They need to help stabilize. Maybe I need to shoot a video to clarify the mechanisms I'm describing.

Also, for clarification, when I say "high mount" I am talking about having my knees up to or above the line of the top of his armpits. When I say "low mount", I have my hips over his hips. And in both cases, my torso is parallel to the ground.

Wutang - I think Chris' high mount is being upright and not high up on the ribcage?

I feel the opposite of you in terms of the knee position - I think you should keep the knees wide to create a strong base so you don't get rolled. The only time you pinch is when you start feeling the upa coming. If they turn to the side you do a one knee up mount(not sure if this is what people call s-mount?).

That's interesting.. I'm only talking about keeping your knees pinched to his sides. I still think that you should be able to flex them so that you can lift and drop your hips same as riding a bronco.

If your knees are in tight his elbows will be pushing straight down on your legs. If your knee is pointed outward then his elbow can push on the inside of your knee at an angle to your leg which is difficult to stop. I even if he can't get 1/2 guard, he can shrimp up and sneak his knee inside your legs.

If your knees are pointed out, you also have much less range of motion in your hips. E.g. If he puts both hands on your hips and bucks you in the air to sneak a knee inside, your really want to be able to thrust your hips forward and chest back.

Whenever someone tries to roll you, you can just let them roll inside of your legs. I'm not saying to keep your knees pinched tight at this moment. i immediately capture the upper arm or put my chest on their shoulder and reach around their head for a lapel choke.