Mousasi knee was ILLEGAL!

Joe Rogan has hung Miragliotta. It was the right call!!!!!

Thanks for making this thread, palm or fist down. We done here? 

Cookeabowl -

Point is, Rogan was going by that criteria. So was the referee, and everyone else watching. And the second knee, by that criteria, was illegal.

BuyTheTicketTakeTheRide - Thank you! This is the salient point.

Now, I know the sport is still young and we'll continue to make mistakes, but by that criteria Weidman should've been allowed his 5mins at the very least!

Hate that fighters put hands down to avoid a bad situation. Should not be considered a downed opponent imo.

Fujkm - Hate that fighters put hands down to avoid a bad situation. Should not be considered a downed opponent imo.

You can hate the rule as much as you want, doesn't change the fact that it exists and that it was therefore an illegal knee. 

anel2ka -

Now, I know the sport is still young and we'll continue to make mistakes, but by that criteria Weidman should've been allowed his 5mins at the very least!

He was allowed 5 minutes. The doctor decided after he was complaining about the illegal knee (which was legal) that he could not compete. So game over. A warrior would have said let's keep going after the initial knee.

watch the video. when contact is made the left hand is off the canvas. jesus.

Pat Giles -
anel2ka -

He was allowed 5 minutes. The doctor decided after he was complaining about the illegal knee (which was legal) that he could not compete. So game over. A warrior would have said let's keep going after the initial knee.

Weidman is a warrior, let's not be silly. Any man who felt they took an illegal knee to the dome (which clearly did a lot of damage) would either take the full 5 minutes, or maybe even feel that the damage put them at such a disadvantage for the rest of the fight that a DQ win is preferable and let's set a rematch.

Fact is, everyone thought (rightly or wrongly) that fingers down with both hands meant no knees to the head. By that criteria Rogan got it wrong and so did the ref - the second knee was 'illegal'. Replays are not allowed in NY, but a wrongly interpreted replay was allowed to influence the decision of the referee. 

I don't like the rule, and like it even less when fighters try to exploit it, but they either should have been allowed to fight on or it should have been a DQ win for Weidman. Fucked up situation but at least it will bring light to the inadequacy of peoples understanding of the rule, and the fact that detailed analysis of replays are required.

BubblesNS - watch the video. when contact is made the left hand is off the canvas. jesus.

Fingers are down on impact. Close, but still.

Your picture above proves it was legal? Both palms are clearly off of the ground and it's just his fingers touching which no longer counts, am I missing something?

BuyTheTicketTakeTheRide -
Pat Giles -
anel2ka -

Weidman is a warrior, let's not be silly. Any man who felt they took an illegal knee to the dome (which clearly did a lot of damage) would either take the full 5 minutes, or maybe even feel that the damage put them at such a disadvantage for the rest of the fight that a DQ win is preferable and let's set a rematch.

Fact is, everyone thought (rightly or wrongly) that fingers down with both hands meant no knees to the head. By that criteria Rogan got it wrong and so did the ref - the second knee was 'illegal'. Replays are not allowed in NY, but a wrongly interpreted replay was allowed to influence the decision of the referee. 

I don't like the rule, and like it even less when fighters try to exploit it, but they either should have been allowed to fight on or it should have been a DQ win for Weidman. Fucked up situation but at least it will bring light to the inadequacy of peoples understanding of the rule, and the fact that detailed analysis of replays are required.

This. I don't like when fighters do that shit either, but that's the rule and you have to be aware of it. From that position a couple of different options. I would definitely be hesitating before throwing a knee like just because this exact type of call. 

moogin83 - Your picture above proves it was legal? Both palms are clearly off of the ground and it's just his fingers touching which no longer counts, am I missing something?

In the first one, his right fist is down on the canvas and the fingers on his left hand. You can see the knee make impact when he slows it down. 

I'm also not here to disparage Moose. He was putting it on Chris and looked fucking great. He may have finished him from there. Whether it was legal/illegal, it was a great fight and those are unfortunate circumstances. Also, Moose made some good points in the post fight presser. Rules are rules and the NY commission has to improve. 

Lol at that vid, paused it before impact then says Joe was wrong. It was completely legal, and Weidman deep down knows he wanted out of that fight

Lol @ putting your hand on the floor to avoid being kneed in the dome..

PROTECT YOURSELF AT ALL TIMES!!!

Cookeabowl -

Point is, Rogan was going by that criteria. So was the referee, and everyone else watching. And the second knee, by that criteria, was illegal.

Both palms, both fists or a palm and a fist is ruled a downed opponent. Fingers don't count. 

Cookeabowl -
Cookeabowl -

Both palms, both fists or a palm and a fist is ruled a downed opponent. Fingers don't count. 

This. Not illegal regardless of what Joe or anyone else says.

Vision, how does it work?

That video is embarassing.