multi-vitamin question...

Flintstone vitamins rule, imo.

I havnt done research on liqued vitamins in years... Last i knew, liqued vitamins were only vitamins not minerals..(cause they couldnt liquify minerals.. they were only in pills and powder vitamin form)

Sounds like this changed in recent years. Like i said, i'm WAY behind in this subject if someone could enlighten me

Thanks

Dear lord! LOL @ larry laughing at someone for old school thinking, and then going on to claim that liquid vitamins are superior. Apparently you've never done a dissolving test on a good tablet, nor are aware of what a good multivitamin would look like.

As far as the number that Chang mentioned, alot of people have asked about the tests done to set ratings for each multi. Although i can't tell you who did the testing or how to find out about them off the top of my head, i can tell you that LifeForce vitamins are the only ones that scored the perfect 100. It's plastered all over their info sheets, so i'm sure you can find out more about that on their website if you want.

And as far as taking more than one a day is concerned, the LifeForce is two a day (or more). The SuperNutrition multi (the one i prefer to use on the athletes i train) is 4-6 per day. Believe me, it does make a difference, and no, if you are at all athletic, your diet is not enough.

As far as Centrum is concerned, it is absolute garbage. I believe they use coal derived coloring, and piss poor nutrient forms from piss poor sources. The two different brands i mentioned above are well out of that league.

The BlueBonnet multi is also good. A standard Twinlab two a day, although not a high end multi like SuperNutrition or LifeForce, is a decent, well priced multi for not so active individuals.

-doug-

PS:

When your piss is neon yellow after taking a multi, its the water-soluble B-vitamins that give it that interesting color. This effect lessens in time, as pathways are made available to absorb the increased nutrition, and you should notice more energy if you are an athlete.

This process could take a few months, so give it some time.

I have noticed that I have more energy after switching to a better brand.

Are you saying the neon yellow is the B vitamins getting excreted though? Because wouldnt that mean it is being wasted?

Yup. Some of them are. Like i said, once you start taking a multi, you do not have the proper pathways set up for absorption and utilization of the increased nutrition. These are developed when the body monitors an excess serum level of the things it needs.

This process takes a few months to develop, so give it time. The coloring will fade, or disappear altogether.

-doug-

Great thread, glad I saw this. I have a vitamin horror story.

For years I took a mega vitamin, I think they're called Cor Vim from the Vitamine Shoppe.

Over the years I developed what I thought to be a sensitivity to caffeine. Every time I'd have 2 cups of coffee in a day, the next day I'd get a severe migraine.

Then I stopped taking the mega dose vitamins and lo and behold my migraines stopped. Now I'm a coffee fiend again and loving it.

Mega Vitamins are bad for you.

i eat the costco high energy pack it fucking rocks!

When did Lifeforece score the perfect 100? I have the book that it is referring to and last I saw it got a 94, which is still very good and number 4 out of 500 companies, which are the 500 best companies out there anyways.

ttt

Shank,

Good for you man. Glad i could help.

To be honest i didnt even know they came in capsule form.... Vitamin
connection only sells the tabs. Also i've done the dissolution tests on
the tabs of a few different brands, not capsules, so i can't vouch for
them. Not only that but you can fit more nutrients in a smaller space in
a tablet, and it seems as though more of the nutrients are protected
from harmful natural effects (like light) in a tab.

There's a lot of cool extras in the Lifeforce, like CoQ10, MSM, and
DMAE that you just don't find in many other vitamins.

Chang,

I don't know when they scored a perfect 100. I just hear about it all the
time working in the vitamin business. I've never seen the actual list you
have, but i've been selling, taking and testing vitamins myself for a
while.

-doug-

In fact, shank, im checking out the Caps now, and you need to take 4
to get the same nutrients in two tabs.

And if Chang is talking about the "Comparative Guide to Nutritional
Supplements" than it was ranked #1 in 2003.

-doug-

anyone tried that vemma liquid vitamins? i just started the other day. lots of anti oxidents it seems.

Hey vernmonster,

Thanks for the response.

I was wondering how did you get into the vitamin business? What brands do you sell?

I am interested in the industry since I think it plays an essential role in nutrition. But there are so many brands out there it is hard to figure out which ones are the best.

I am interested since from personal experience, I was really frustrated with all the bad products and the lack of a standard for the supplement industry.

What is your take on it?

Centrum & One A Day = Crap

Get something that has at least 30mg of each B-vitamin in it. A good liquid vitamin is the way to go but will cost you $20.00 to $35.00 for a good one like 'Miracle 2000'.

Make sure you get something from a reputable manufaturer. GNC's vitamins are decent, but Vitamin World/Natures Bounty products are cheaper and higher quality IMO.

Check out Consumerlab.com. It's the most reputable vitamin testing site available. I would stick to the brands that regularly pass their inspections.

Chang,

It takes a lot of experience, and a lot of knowledge. You need to know what every ingredient in a product does, where its from, and if it's safe, and you need to do market research and find out what companies are reputable and which ones arent.

For example, Solgar is a very common brand, but they have had a history of lying about ingredients.

Another example: Solaray, Kal, and a couple other well known brands have been bought out by another company called Nutraceuticals. They don't have the same commitment to quality that they used to, but they cash in on brand loyalty. We are phasing them out.

I agree that the industry is shitty, but it's mostly only shitty because of the ignorance of the consumer. It's the job of business that care to sift through the bullshit for the people who actually care about health and provide the best info/advice possible.

I'd suggest, if you want your own business, to start working now for a decent, locally owned company and learn everything you can.

-doug-

I am a personal trainer and the problem with multivitamins and isolated vitamins is that your body does not recognize, for example 400mg of vitamin C, what it does recognize is the whole orange. That is the problem with stuff like centrum is that your body cannot absorb it. It is always better just to try to EAT the right amount of vitamins. This is hard for a lot of people. There are several whole food based nutrition products.The best and cheapest is JUICE PLUS+.

www.yorkforsyth.com

ok

Interesting.

Do you own your own business right now or do you work for a company?

How did you get into it?

I am not looking for a career in vitamins necessarily, but I do find it interesting though. I am considering working at this really good home owned store sometimes in the future just to learn more for my own sakes since I am really into fitness and health.

How much does the Lifeforce Multi cost, and where is it
available?

I have taken BodyWise AM/PM formula for years and have
been very happy with it, but it is very expensive. From the
limited ready I have done (admittedly mostly from their own
literature), it seems to be very bioavailable, your body thinks
it's food so it digests well, is aqueous coated, which also
facilitates absorbtion, and supposedly the ratios of the
different vitamins and minerals are designed to compliment
each other and not compete with each other. Has anyone
had any experience with BodyWise? They have some other
supplements that are great for athletic performance, but are