My opinion on Dern’s evolving accent

forumnewb - Her father is Brazilian, spoke to her in Portuguese/English at home, and has spent a lot of time living and training in Brazil....where her half her family is from.

Then why did she talk like a complete Valley Gilr just 3 years ago?

The accent thing is understandable, though still weird, but her having a translator is fucking strange.

After reading some interesting points and getting a better understanding of her past, I regret making this thread. Lmao 

I'll just keep "looking" at her instagram videos on mute.

This was a thing in the 90s and early 00s with BJJ nerds: adopting a Brazilian accent while speaking English even though you’re a lifelong English speaker. The UG used to make fun of these toolbags.

kennyfrommd - 
forumnewb - Her father is Brazilian, spoke to her in Portuguese/English at home, and has spent a lot of time living and training in Brazil....where her half her family is from.

Oooooh nevermind, her father is Brazilian, that explains why she is acting like SHE FORGOT ENGLISH AND NEEDS AND TRANSLATOR?

She’s trolling

forumnewb -
kennyfrommd - 

Oooooh nevermind, her father is Brazilian, that explains why she is acting like SHE FORGOT ENGLISH AND NEEDS AND TRANSLATOR?

She’s trolling

Are you just throwing random explanations and seeing what sticks?

If she is trolling, which she very well might be at this point, it is absolutely funny and well played.

I lived in Puerto Rico and some kid that grew up in jersey moved down there in 7th grade. He spoke good english at the time. He only spoke english in class or whenever he talked to me. By the time we graduated high school he spoke in broken english. If Dern is surrounded mostly by portuguese speaking people I can see that happening to her accent.

BrowBeaten -
Hate420 -

The broken English part is how you know she's fucking mental.

Exactly. Pretending to forget how to say certain English words. Bitch you're from Arizona. 

"My... Uhhh... How you say... OPPONENT! She have good uh....ummm.....DEFENSE!"

She's insane. 

Lol this!  I hope she keeps it up.  Its weird and funny

therock - I lived in Puerto Rico and some kid that grew up in jersey moved down there in 7th grade. He spoke good english at the time. He only spoke english in class or whenever he talked to me. By the time we graduated high school he spoke in broken english. If Dern is surrounded mostly by portuguese speaking people I can see that happening to her accent.

Exactly.

Most people on this forum don’t get out much and are not very educated on culture.

I lived in England for three years when I was kid. I spoke with a standard British accent. RP.

Then when I moved to Los Angeles, over 20 years ago, I had to fake an American accent because kids made fun of my British accent. I permanently lost the accent within a few months.

Now I sound like a regular old American.

forumnewb -
therock - I lived in Puerto Rico and some kid that grew up in jersey moved down there in 7th grade. He spoke good english at the time. He only spoke english in class or whenever he talked to me. By the time we graduated high school he spoke in broken english. If Dern is surrounded mostly by portuguese speaking people I can see that happening to her accent.

Exactly.

Most people on this forum don’t get out much and are not very educated on culture.

I lived in England for three years when I was kid. I spoke with a standard British accent. RP.

Then when I moved to Los Angeles, over 20 years ago, I had to fake an American accent because kids made fun of my British accent. I permanently lost the accent within a few months.

Oh were still doing this. PFFFT. So interesting about your accent when you were 3!! Now back to t he point:

SHE. NEEDED. A. TRANSLATOR.

kennyfrommd - 
forumnewb -

Exactly.

Oh were still doing this. PFFFT. So interesting about your accent when you were 3!! Now back to t he point:

SHE. NEEDED. A. TRANSLATOR.

I was 11 years old when I lived in UK.

Mack is trolling.

What if she faked an American accent when she was younger?

Bobby Lupo - This was a thing in the 90s and early 00s with BJJ nerds: adopting a Brazilian accent while speaking English even though you're a lifelong English speaker. The UG used to make fun of these toolbags.

100% correct. There was a few Carlos Machado students in Dallas like this.

I know Rogan was born in Jersey, raised in Massachusetts…but I can’t picture him with a Boston accent.

Her accent is ingenious because its not a natural accent..         

it's a manufactured version of an accent that was formed  when a  Brazilian learns English .. 

Remember when Greg Jackson was speaking with that Russian accent when he was cornering that Russian guy.. What if Greg Jackson kept speaking like that ..would anyone say that's normal .. 

GayBred -

Just to play devils advecate, I don’t know anything about her life. 

Its safe to assume that BJJ has been  the main focus in her life for a long time. Knowing that most of the people she trains with speak Portuguese: we can assume that they are also her friends outside the gym, maybe talking on the phone or hanging out in person, going to tournaments every weekend, traveling together, etc.  she also lived in Brazil for many years. 

I immigrated to the US when I was 6 years old. From Russia to Brooklyn.  I can still speak Russian fluently but as I spoke less of it over the years the accent thickened.  I only maintain the ability to speak it because I always took every chance to speak it as a lesson or practice.  

Her Portuguese sounds pretty good and she lived there for a while. Is it hard to assume that she regressed with English and evolved more into Portuguese naturally and not by some coy to fit in with the cool kids?

I think this thing escalated pretty quickly without any solid proof of anything. Everyone who knows her speaks well of her, the Brazilian people love her. Why is she getting hate? 

"She also lived in Brazil for many years"

Why do people keep saying this when it's not true. That girl is born and raised in America, went through public school system and never spent a year in Brazil much less lived there for many years. 

Enter WandMan - 
BrowBeaten -

Nah son. She's insane. 

This - quite possibly the dumbest women in mma.

At least Magana says stupid shit in complete sentences.

Broken English, "forgetting" words...  She's either got brain damage and shouldn't be fighting, or she is blatantly pretending to have forgotten English.

stevekt -

I don't think she's doing it on purpose.  

Still the translator is odd