Nate Diaz removed from rankings for refusal

vagabond -
time traveling 12er - 
vagabond - Lol could you imagine if this happened in a real sport...

You mean if a team would refuse to play? Yeah I could see them being removed from official standings.

Athletes making 10-15% of the revenue, take it or leave it contract negotiations, hand picked contenders based on how much money the owners stand to make, no job security. Employer airing dirty laundry in public.

Yeah I could see a guy not wanting to take a fight.
VU, it's disgusting what the UFC is Turing into Phone Post 3.0

Nate hasn't breached his contract. Turning down a fight is acceptable behavior according to his contractual obligations and designating him inactive is both premature and inconsistently punitive on the part of UFC. It's petty and unprofessional. Phone Post 3.0

BW92 - Lol it is what it is Nate will be ranked if he fights again.... everyone relax the rankings help my non MMA fan friends out whenever there's a fight, great tool to educate casuals Phone Post 3.0
Great tool for educating newbs.

Q: "What about Nate Diaz? Why isn't he ranked?"

A: "Well, even though he's beat 3 guys currently in the top ten, and his last fight was only six months ago, the UFC removed him from the rankings because he complained about the amount of money he was being paid, basically. It's kind of weird because the rankings are supposedly voted on independently by members of the MMA media, and not the UFC. As soon as Nate goes back to doing what he's told, i.e. fighting for what he's agreed to contractually while keeping his mouth shut about what he thinks is fair, I'm sure they'll add his name back on. Does that answer your question?" Phone Post 3.0

Detective Morgan -
Malvert the Janitor - Pouting in public?

My dad used to smack me in the back of the head for that. Phone Post 3.0
This Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post 3.0

iHateTheUG - 
vagabond -
time traveling 12er - 
vagabond - 
time traveling 12er - 
vagabond - 
time traveling 12er - 

You mean if a team would refuse to play? Yeah I could see them being removed from official standings.

Athletes making 10-15% of the revenue, take it or leave it contract negotiations, hand picked contenders based on how much money the owners stand to make, no job security. Employer airing dirty laundry in public.

What does that have to do with anything? Lol. You suggested it wouldn't happen in a "real" sport when it probably would. It was a stupid thing to say, no sport would tolerate refusing to perform.

I was pointing out that a real sport wouldn't be in this type of situation to begin with.

Reguardless of nates contract issues, the ufc telling the media that nate is off the rankings is absolute bush league nonsense.

Why not have dana just make them up as he pleases?

I misunderstood then, sorry. The other sports don't have rankings because they're all based on seasonal standings. I still don't see how bush league this is considering other sports would have come down much harder on an athlete for refusing to perform. They'd probably issue fines and other punishments. Removing an inactive fighter from media voted rankings doesn't seem like that big a deal. The NBA will fine a player for wearing their headband up side down.

I would be alright with some sort of fine system but manipulating the rankings reaks of illegitimacy.

This is the same organization that tries to erase legends from the history books when they dont agree on terms.

How is it manipulating? Why should a fighter be ranked if he is refusing to fight?For all zuffa knows nate will never fight again.

And what legends has the UFC erased? Phone Post 3.0

Unless nate offically retired they can't just claim that.

Frank shamrock ring a bell?

They also threatened to remove all of bjs fights during a contract dispute.

iHateTheUG - 
OblongBox -
John M - 
OblongBox - 
orcus - If he is currently refusing to fight in the UFC, why would he be ranked in the UFC?

"He fought 7 months ago. That's not enough inactivity to be released from ranking regardless of the reason"

He is not inactive because he is injured or anything, he is inactive because he is refusing to compete. There is no reason to assume he will suddenly decide to compete again; if he does, he will no doubt be returned to the rankings.

Has Nate Diaz officially retired? No he hasn't. He's not refusing to compete friend. He's trying to get a better contract. This shit happens but no legitimate ranking system would unrank a fighter who isn't retired and hasn't fought in 7 months.

Just saying, but he's trying to get a new contract BY refusing to compete. 

The point being, he's still refusing to compete, in which case, I don't think it's outlandish to remove him. If he's not going to fight in the future, what's the point of having him in there taking up space? When he is ready to fight you plug him right back in. 

Yet UFC won't release him from his contract. This is laughable at best. If they're willing to remove him from the rankings why not remove him from his contract then? If you can't see that this is shady shit I don't know what to tell you.

What would be the point of a contract if you can just get out of it anytime you want by turning down fights.

You would be a horrible business man. Phone Post 3.0

You dense bro? If UFC is so fed up with a fighter that they take them off their rankings they should back it up by releasing them from their contract and banning them from ever fighting in the UFC. If UFC operated on principle that would be the course of action. They have no principle to their actions which makes it all a soap opera. I actually own a business just for the record.

Operate a business on principle instead of preference. That goes a long way.

Captfireeyes - 
DP Grand Prix - not a real sport :(

This Phone Post 3.0

100%

That is straight up dogshit

vagabond -
iHateTheUG - 
vagabond -
time traveling 12er - 
vagabond - 
time traveling 12er - 
vagabond - 
time traveling 12er - 

What does that have to do with anything? Lol. You suggested it wouldn't happen in a "real" sport when it probably would. It was a stupid thing to say, no sport would tolerate refusing to perform.

I was pointing out that a real sport wouldn't be in this type of situation to begin with.

Reguardless of nates contract issues, the ufc telling the media that nate is off the rankings is absolute bush league nonsense.

Why not have dana just make them up as he pleases?

I misunderstood then, sorry. The other sports don't have rankings because they're all based on seasonal standings. I still don't see how bush league this is considering other sports would have come down much harder on an athlete for refusing to perform. They'd probably issue fines and other punishments. Removing an inactive fighter from media voted rankings doesn't seem like that big a deal. The NBA will fine a player for wearing their headband up side down.

I would be alright with some sort of fine system but manipulating the rankings reaks of illegitimacy.

This is the same organization that tries to erase legends from the history books when they dont agree on terms.

How is it manipulating? Why should a fighter be ranked if he is refusing to fight?For all zuffa knows nate will never fight again.

And what legends has the UFC erased? Phone Post 3.0

Unless nate offically retired they can't just claim that.

Frank shamrock ring a bell?

They also threatened to remove all of bjs fights during a contract dispute.

So your claim to them erasing legends is that they did nothing to bj pen, and that they don't promote frank shamrock.

Plus it's really hard to say frank shamrock is a UFC legend the guys has what 30-40 MMA fights and only 4 of them in the UFC, and fought in the UFC for 1 year.Yeah he was the first champ at 205 but to call him a UFC legend is dumb. Phone Post 3.0

OblongBox - 
orcus - If he is currently refusing to fight in the UFC, why would he be ranked in the UFC?

"He fought 7 months ago. That's not enough inactivity to be released from ranking regardless of the reason"

He is not inactive because he is injured or anything, he is inactive because he is refusing to compete. There is no reason to assume he will suddenly decide to compete again; if he does, he will no doubt be returned to the rankings.

Has Nate Diaz officially retired? No he hasn't. He's not refusing to compete friend. He's trying to get a better contract. This shit happens but no legitimate ranking system would unrank a fighter who isn't retired and hasn't fought in 7 months.

Again: He has given every indication that he is not going to take any fights. He is 3 fights into an 8 fight contract and lost two of his last three; there is no chance in hell they are going to give him a better contract.

Why would you include a fighter in your promotional rankings who is refusing to fight in your promotion? Until he decides to resume competing, he is obviously not in contention in that promotion, which is basically what their rankings are intended to indicate.

"Yet UFC won't release him from his contract. This is laughable at best. If they're willing to remove him from the rankings why not remove him from his contract then? If you can't see that this is shady shit I don't know what to tell you."

Why should they release him from his contract? He signed an 8-fight deal with them. Why should they then release him after 3 fights so he can fight for someone else because he has decided (after getting destroyed in 2 of those 3 fights) that they're not paying him enough?

OblongBox -
iHateTheUG - 
OblongBox -
John M - 
OblongBox - 

Just saying, but he's trying to get a new contract BY refusing to compete. 

The point being, he's still refusing to compete, in which case, I don't think it's outlandish to remove him. If he's not going to fight in the future, what's the point of having him in there taking up space? When he is ready to fight you plug him right back in. 

Yet UFC won't release him from his contract. This is laughable at best. If they're willing to remove him from the rankings why not remove him from his contract then? If you can't see that this is shady shit I don't know what to tell you.

What would be the point of a contract if you can just get out of it anytime you want by turning down fights.

You would be a horrible business man. Phone Post 3.0

You dense bro? If UFC is so fed up with a fighter that they take them off their rankings they should back it up by releasing them from their contract and banning them from ever fighting in the UFC. If UFC operated on principle that would be the course of action. They have no principle to their actions which makes it all a soap opera. I actually own a business just for the record.

So you're angry will the UFC taking nate diaz off the rankings? But you'd be happy if they banned him from the UFC forever?

I can only assume your "business" is you going door to door trying to get people to buy into a pyramid scam. Phone Post 3.0

mada -
FearOfaChristianPlanet - Bullshit rankings. Phone Post 3.0

this is very true, but I still enjoy watching the fights in the ufc and any mma promotion for that matter. I've just come to accept that it's more of a business than a sport. it's not the fighters fault and the fights are real so i'll continue to watch
This has been my mentality more recently. As long as the fights are real I don't concern myself with the rest. All the other issues such as pay, rankings, title shots and ufc dealings can only be changed by the fighters themselves uniting and making a stand. Phone Post 3.0

""Well, even though he's beat 3 guys currently in the top ten, and his last fight was only six months ago, the UFC removed him from the rankings because he complained about the amount of money he was being paid, basically. "

No, they removed him from their ranking of contenders within their promotion because he remains unwilling to compete in their promotion.

Does anyone doubt that he'll be returned to the rankings as soon as he takes a fight? So what's the problem? For all the universal insistence here that the rankings are meaningless, you all sure are butthurt about Nate not being in them.

orcus - 
OblongBox - 

Again: He has given every indication that he is not going to take any fights. He is 3 fights into an 8 fight contract and lost two of his last three; there is no chance in hell they are going to give him a better contract.

Why would you include a fighter in your promotional rankings who is refusing to fight in your promotion? Until he decides to resume competing, he is obviously not in contention in that promotion, which is basically what their rankings are intended to indicate.

Why would the ufc have a say in it at all? Wasn't the point of selecting the media to make the rankings to add legitimacy and non bias?

vagabond -
OCMikey - 
vagabond - Dominic cruz hasn't fought in 2 years yet is still ranked at #9.

Nate has a dispute over pay and is deemed inactive.

Its obvious what is going on here.
Dominic Cruz has been injured wanting to fight this entire time. Nate refuses to fight because of a contract he just signed. Big difference IMO. Phone Post 3.0

Right on cue.

Tj grant is also injured. He was just removed from the rankings dispite being out less time than dominic.

Do u think 135 is as stacked as 155?

155 is full of beasts that are pushing Grant out of the rankings. Phone Post 3.0

orcus - 
OblongBox - 

Why would you not release a fighter you've basically shunned? Again, there's no principle here. Why not just ban Nate Diaz from UFC and release him from his contract now? Again, no principle of conviction, just a bunch of bullshit.

OblongBox -
orcus - 
OblongBox - 

Why would you not release a fighter you've basically shunned? Again, there's no principle here. Why not just ban Nate Diaz from UFC and release him from his contract now? Again, no principle of conviction, just a bunch of bullshit.

So I guess by offering a fighters multiple fights is called shunning them now? Phone Post 3.0

OCMikey - 
vagabond -
OCMikey - 
vagabond - Dominic cruz hasn't fought in 2 years yet is still ranked at #9.

Nate has a dispute over pay and is deemed inactive.

Its obvious what is going on here.
Dominic Cruz has been injured wanting to fight this entire time. Nate refuses to fight because of a contract he just signed. Big difference IMO. Phone Post 3.0

Right on cue.

Tj grant is also injured. He was just removed from the rankings dispite being out less time than dominic.

Do u think 135 is as stacked as 155?

155 is full of beasts that are pushing Grant out of the rankings. Phone Post 3.0

You're telling me bobby green pushed grant out of the rankings?

Why are you just blindly defending this?

Thacommish -
orcus - 
OblongBox - 

"Nate said he's ready to fight, so, he told Joe to call him," White went on.

From an article titled "Dana White - Nate Diaz ready to return, Nick not"

O.O

He has given every indication .....???
Nate diaz turned down a fight after dana said that Phone Post 3.0