Never cared about what belt i had

I always said i didnt care what color belt i had i figured the only thing that mattered was whati did on the mat but this weekend after i won my weight class and the absolute at a local tournament my instructor said i would be testing for my blue belt next month, I have to admit i was pretty happy when i got the news but now i am getting a little nervous any tips out their for what i should expect.

I guess i was full of shit when i always said i didnt care what belt i had.

if you have to test for your belt you're in the wrong place

I dont have to pay for it i just have a test so its not a belt scam our anything stupid like that.

I support BJJ belt testing

A student may be a "rolling" blue belt due to attributes and a killer triange or particular sub/sweep but not a "knowledge" blue belt.

It is also a way of being sure the integrity of a school is kept.

If you re testing than you should know what is expected of you..ask.

In my school there is an outline..for example:

-3 chokes from guard
-3 armbars from guard
-3 sweeps from guard
-2 mount escapes

etc etc

You are being tested for knowledge as you comp performance and in-class rolling have shown your teacher you can hang

If you dont want to ask though as a rule of thumb:

-Escapes from all positions
-A couple chokes and locks from each position
-Sweeps from Guard
-Takedowns/Throws to controlling position (osoto gri to knee on belly etc)

You should be fine! Good luck

Thanks i think their may be an outline he gives everyone but i figured i would see what other have had to do since i have never even seen anyone else test for a blue belt.

I am a black belt now so its hard to remember but it was basically:

chokes, arm locks, escapes from each positions

Triangle from three different positions

Sweeps from guard

Couple Leg locks

Throws/ throw combinations / throw counters / throws to control to sub (Instructor is also 6th degree judo BB)

The tests just got worse from there for purple and brown

My black was just given to me though

I think belt testing is a must (at least for blue belt). There are plenty of guys who roll like monsters, but can't demonstrate a proper shrimp or armbar.

You know your stuff and proved it. I would say just relax and work with a class mate after class to remind you of everything. I know when we do are little tests...I forget the names and have to look around until I know what move we are doing.

Oh Congrats on the tour. too.

Rickson had testing. (Anyone know if he still does?)

If I understand you right you won the absolute as a white belt?, your instructor should have given you your blue belt. You sound ready and will do fine, haven't you watched any testing while you were training there? It seems to me I would be watching others testing to know what to expect, or are most BJJ schools only open to testers and everybody else out during testing?

nobody41 - 
Brabo Fett - if you have to test for your belt you're in the wrong place

We have belt testing at Alliance. Is that the wrong place to be?

LOL!

mjm345 - I think belt testing is a must (at least for blue belt). There are plenty of guys who roll like monsters, but can't demonstrate a proper shrimp or armbar.

Not sure if it's a "must", if your instructor keeps a close eye on you, but I definitely agree that displaying the proper knowledge is more important than being able to roll well.

2point - If I understand you right you won the absolute as a white belt?, your instructor should have given you your blue belt. You sound ready and will do fine, haven't you watched any testing while you were training there? It seems to me I would be watching others testing to know what to expect, or are most BJJ schools only open to testers and everybody else out during testing?

No they are open but i have never made it up to watch a blue test yet although i wish i would have.

You would think the instructor would know if you are ready for a blue belt after watching, teaching, and training with you thus far.

Congrats PittBJJ. If you did that well at your tourney, and your instructor is asking you to test, that's two signs that you're ready and will be fine.Re: testingI'm a three stripe purple belt, and have never been tested. I feel like I might fail a Roy Harris blue belt test, though. Those videos are seriously intimidating. I've always concentrated on base and balance and getting good at a few basic techniques. ie I've worked really hard on recovering guard and getting to my knees from under sidemount, but I don't have four reversals from there. I wonder at how many schools I wouldn't be a "knowledge" purple belt, or even blue.

Very refreshing point of view from RENATOPENHA.

Nothing wrong with testing for a belt, or not testing.

Good luck on your blue belt test btw!

SMACDADDY - Very refreshing point of view from RENATOPENHA.

Agreed. When I watch Roy Harris' and Roy Dean's guys videos I am extremely impressed with the technical ability of them, even at Blue Belt level. I believe iirc Roy Dean stated that the "tests" aren't mandatory, they are more of a demo and belt presentation where friends and family can come and watch.

A good instructor will know when you a ready... the tests are more of a formality I imagine.

I support having a structured guideline of what someone should know "technically", there are lots of tough guys such as former wrestler or just strong tough guys etc who can give higher belt levels a fit in some areas when it comes to competing after they learn a few basics, but technically they aren't there meaning knowing the intricate details and how to make them work from all positions, so once they get older , injured or come against someone who is stronger or a better wrestler they won't have an advantage and will have to rely on technique.  Structure makes it easier for a student to progress to a higher technical level faster and helps keep a higher standard, if testing is done for the RIGHT reasons imo...